Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 race for a returner
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have just rejoined my tri club, and have started doing some running and riding in my plan to make a return to fitness and racing. I did a couple of IM races 10yrs ago, and although I have no desire to return to that distance, I did really enjoy 70.3 distance, and find myself keen to do more (I don't really enjoy sprint or Olympic so that's the reason for focus).

There are two races close enough to me in the UK that I am considering, one is July 16th and the other September 19th, Weymouth 70.3.

Given I am returning from very little training, I did London marathon last year, and some Mtb racing, but pretty much nothing since Dec, should I go for the September race, or is the July race realistic?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 race for a returner [fatboyslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi fatboyslow,

It depends on your current fitness level, if you did the London Marathon last year you should be fine to do the race in July. However do you have any niggling injuries that might pop up? If so i would take it easier and go with Sept, allowing yourself to build a solid base.

Good luck in either race, I'll be supporting in Weymouth so hopefully see you out there.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 race for a returner [Isbjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had that choice with the time you have (3 months consistent training starting now), it would be based on logistics. Flatter course?, T1/2 split?, ease of getting there for reducing pre-race stress?

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 race for a returner [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Many thanks for the advice!

They are both in Weymouth, so pretty much similar courses, sea swim, rolling bike (it is Dorset) and flattish run!

I might see how I get on with training over Easter (the joys of being a Science teacher) and make a choice!

I will be easy to spot if you are supporting, look for the slightly portly gentleman, who is very red faced and sweating rather a lot......also wait until most other competitors have gone by!

Phil
Quote Reply