Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 hydration/fueling on bike
Quote | Reply
Signed up for SR 70.3. Done this race 2 other times, and it’s always be a scorcher. Last time, 2013, I bonked HARD on the run from bad fueling on the bike. Probably lost 10 minutes standing at a station in the middle of the run, trying to get cookies and water in my hole.
Looking at the new course, I see bike aid about every 12-16 miles. Starting full, that gives me 3 chances to top-off fluids. Rather be nearly empty for the climb on Chalk hill, but that’s not critical.
I’m going to be right around 3:00 for the bike (+/-10), and I’m #200, so I need around 900 calories, and at LEAST 4 big bottles of water/fluid. I have 2 frame cages, and plan to get a new BTA. My thought was to only use a single frame bottle and use some Hammer Perpetuem as primary nutrition, since I’m well adapted to that. I might be able to tolerate up to a 400-500 calorie mix in that bottle if I mix it 2x. That means I’m still short 400-500. I’m hesitant to add anything but water into the BTA. I’ve always liked access to plain water, especially on hot days, if my stomach clamps down. Going through the transition, only having to grab a single water seems nice, but if I should also grab a Gatorade, do I slip that into my jersey? On a second frame cage? Slam a bunch and toss it real quick?
A few gels and a Larabar in the bento could finish me off. Unless a behind-the-seat cage is really that much faster than a frame bottle, I’m not going that route, since my guess is that I lose far more by sitting up and reaching behind, than I do having the bottle in the frame. If I’m wrong there, let me know. I’m not at the pointy end of the pack, but I also want to do my best.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 hydration/fueling on bike [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can handle bars in first part of the bike 2 clifbars serve you almost 600 cals
Usually I cut the bars into thirds and take one every 20 mins, the rest of the bike is concentrated iso in one bottle. You can even put all the cals in one bottle, kinda syrup like but a little sip and some water works great. Refill the bta when needed and you are good to go.
If there are climbs in that race you don’t want to carry a couple bottles around

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 hydration/fueling on bike [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
If you can handle bars in first part of the bike 2 clifbars serve you almost 600 cals
Usually I cut the bars into thirds and take one every 20 mins, the rest of the bike is concentrated iso in one bottle. You can even put all the cals in one bottle, kinda syrup like but a little sip and some water works great. Refill the bta when needed and you are good to go.
If there are climbs in that race you don’t want to carry a couple bottles around
Not sure I can process that much solid food, but I do have time to try it out. I’ll need to get a few hours at 75% FTP to really know, right? Very different than just riding in Zone2.
If I use the BTA for water only, I’ll want to upgrade to something a little bigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a 70.3 you will be likely above 80% just saying.
If you can’t handle much solids go the syrup route and mark the bottle to know how much you drink every time.
I run a Torhans aero30 in front and refill, works well but splashes a little like everything else I tried.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my last IM I carried 2 bottles of triple strength Infinit Go Far and then chased them with bottles of water from the course (a bottle of water for every third of a bottle of Infinit). That was almost 900 calories in each Infinit bottle. You could do something like that. Have 1-2 bottles (depending on concentration) of nutrition then just get water bottles. Would only need 2-3 slots on your bike.
Quote Reply