Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I had another thread asking 1x folks about their gearing. There are some 15 and 17% sections of that climb and the first 1.6 miles avg's 8%. I'm thinking a gain ratio of 2.9 is the minimum I need

I'm assuming you are taking crank length into considering with those gear ratio's (using sheldon brown's calculator).

Yep, definitely.

So, on a 172.5, a 39/28 may be a tad bit easy if hitting that climb hard, using the climb to put a gap on the field before the 40 miles of descent and flat section (with one hill thrown in there). 39/28 would be 2.8. So, maybe a 39x27 (gain ratio of 2.9) would be a tad better. (DA 9100 11-30 has a 27, and 10sp has 11-27). For myself, using a 162.5 crank, 2.9 is a 50x36.

I'll be thinking about this as I mix some of the local climbs of similar length and grade into my training.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 5, 17 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [mariutti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mariutti wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:
stevej wrote:
So is this going to be a wave start or a self seed rolling start for the AGers?

Since it is a "Championship" I would think it will be waves by age group, so everyone is actually racing one another. At least that's how they did it in Vegas. Even the larger AG's that are 2 or 3 waves in a regular 70.3 were all in one wave.[/quote]
Hi. All 70.3 races everyone is racing one another. The rolling start didn't change it. But...I never saw a Worldchampionship with rolling start.

Let's see... Rolling start's is a growing trend in IM events. Australia last year: waves (without breaking the biggest age groups).[/quote]
They just announced a "rolling wave start within each age group" and cited bike congestion and drafting as reasons for this format.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:

They just announced a "rolling wave start within each age group" and cited bike congestion and drafting as reasons for this format.

Where do you see this announced?

All I see are wave starts here: http://www.ironman.com/...ves%20online%201.pdf

What time is sunrise in Chatt that time of year? 7:30 seems late. Edit: (sunrise is around 7:20). And the spacing of waves is going to be rough for those later on. M45-49 don't start until almost 9:30!!!! Bring your sun screen folks.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jul 5, 17 12:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2017/07/chattanooga-start-times-and-format-announced.aspx#axzz4lxneFO00

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

Where do you see this announced?

All I see are wave starts here: http://www.ironman.com/...ves%20online%201.pdf

What time is sunrise in Chatt that time of year? 7:30 seems late. Edit: (sunrise is around 7:20). And the spacing of waves is going to be rough for those later on. M45-49 don't start until almost 9:30!!!! Bring your sun screen folks.

Ugh, I'm with you in that wave, Steve. And will likely be out on the course a tad longer then you as well to make matters worse. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like it will be rolling starts within each AG wave, which look to be spaced about every ten minutes. Honestly, I don't quite get it - safety? reduce drafting? I think that initial hill will do a job spacing folks out to reduce drafting. Personally, I'll be nowhere near the podium, but this format sucks for anyone looking to podium. I guess those folks should self seed themselves near the front anyway, but it still seems a bit foolish for a WC event.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was sortof figuring that the difficulty of the swim with the first half going uphill would sort things out pretty quickly, and then that early climb on the bike.

And what's with putting 70+ people right ahead of 35-39? (this is the case with both men and women). This seems like a disaster waiting to happen
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
I was sortof figuring that the difficulty of the swim with the first half going uphill would sort things out pretty quickly, and then that early climb on the bike.

And what's with putting 70+ people right ahead of 35-39? (this is the case with both men and women). This seems like a disaster waiting to happen

I agree. I'd be pretty scared if I were anything less than a stellar 70 yr old swimmer, with the fastest 35-39s coming right up my ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question still remains if the rolling start is a self seed or first come first serve for each AG. Unless I missed that part in the article. I sure hope its not first come first serve. That's a long time to be sitting in line.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not read any info on this and have not read the thread, but would it not be like WTC IM events that you can line up at the front however you like? First come first serve at the front.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:

I wonder what the thought process behind that was. It does seem like a horrible idea.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
noofus wrote:

I wonder what the thought process behind that was. It does seem like a horrible idea.

I'm guessing it's to keep AGers in one category (ie: 35-39) from drafting in other age groups (ie: 40-44).
Last edited by: d00d: Jul 6, 17 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gearing: I'm starting to toss in rides that will mimic the race course. Did a ride today with a climb a tad longer, but not quite as steep as the Chatt course.... I bring it up because I rode it with that 2.9 gain ratio at a possible race-day effort for the climb followed by hilly tempo work and it seems to be a good call. https://www.strava.com/activities/1072640107

AG Waves: I had kind of hoped that the 30-34 guys would be leaving at the same time as the 35-39 guys to go head to head. I like head to head racing. I get the congestion issue, but I also kind of thought that the 3.6 mile 8% climb would prevent a lot of that, as well as the upstream swim. With 40-44, 35-39, 30-34 starting 22min apart, it'll truly be a race strictly within each of our agegroups while swimming and biking through, over and around the older AG's they're squeezing in between. I get it, and I understand that if a head to head race is wanted, race pro.... but a WC race would be pretty awesome to have the chance to race head to head with other age groups.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
the spacing of waves is going to be rough for those later on. M45-49 don't start until almost 9:30!!!! Bring your sun screen folks.

Huge climb at the beginning of the bike.
Rolling swim starts.
Age Group starts spaced way out.

I guess WTC has just plain given up on trying to enforce the drafting rules, and now hopes that the course and the swim start will reduce drafting. But I'll still see more drafting at this race than any other I do.

I can't say I'm looking forward to starting a 70.3 at 9:f'ing23 am when the projected high temp is 85-90 deg. There are gonna be some slow times.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is there a strava file of the bike course yet? or just the climb?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the ride pretty safe to do on your own?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Mooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess they're giving away slots to this race now. I heard of a woman getting an invite via email.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plugging things into BBS, it looks like this year's bike course is about two minutes slower than the ride at Tremblant in 2014. Any idea what the road conditions are like?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Gearing: I'm starting to toss in rides that will mimic the race course. Did a ride today with a climb a tad longer, but not quite as steep as the Chatt course.... I bring it up because I rode it with that 2.9 gain ratio at a possible race-day effort for the climb followed by hilly tempo work and it seems to be a good call. https://www.strava.com/activities/1072640107

AG Waves: I had kind of hoped that the 30-34 guys would be leaving at the same time as the 35-39 guys to go head to head. I like head to head racing. I get the congestion issue, but I also kind of thought that the 3.6 mile 8% climb would prevent a lot of that, as well as the upstream swim. With 40-44, 35-39, 30-34 starting 22min apart, it'll truly be a race strictly within each of our agegroups while swimming and biking through, over and around the older AG's they're squeezing in between. I get it, and I understand that if a head to head race is wanted, race pro.... but a WC race would be pretty awesome to have the chance to race head to head with other age groups.

Unfortunately, I don't have any hills nearby to simulate any of the climbs. I run a 53/39 with 165mm cranks. I'm not willing to change those so a 28t puts me at 2.9 and a 25t puts me at 3.2. I really really don't like the spacing on the 28t. Leaning towards the 25t right now and just grind up the steep ascents if need be.

I think those ag's were spaced out like that on purpose to limit the packs. The races are going to be completely different between the different AG's with that spacing and the weather. I feel for the later waves..... It's going to be brutal.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a long time to be grinding. 15 and 17% climbs are no joke, and 1.6 miles at 8% is pretty intense. I guess you could always plug the course into a smart trainer to test gearing. 2.9 gain ratio at 4.43 w/kg was a bit of a grind, already.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you will want that 28. even with it, at 250w your cadence would be south of 70 at 10%.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
you will want that 28. even with it, at 250w your cadence would be south of 70 at 10%.

at 7% for 1.6 miles yesterday at 310w, was at 86rpm. I'll bet SteveJ is above that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A superfit person might do 4w/kg for a 70.3, I have won my AG on 3.4. Maybe you can go 5-8% above that on the climb but 310w is too much to push for 20min. Will hurt the run. Just my opinion.

thanks for the strava file btw,
Quote Reply

Prev Next