Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The swim has a 400m upstream swim. I'm not sure how much resistance we'll get, as it is closer to the shore, but it could be tough if there's any rain in the days leading up to the race.
The bike doesn't look bad, with all the climbing in the first third. I bet it's going to be a FAST ride once you start descending! Overall, ~ 3500 of climbing. Glad it's not the ~5000+ that I kept hearing!
The run...ouch. That is going to be tough. It looks like a whole bunch of short to medium length climbs.

If anyone has an advantage here, I'd say it's a good runner.
Last edited by: d00d: May 12, 17 12:42
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike profile and stats:

Run profile and stats:

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: May 12, 17 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
First half of swim - up current .... ouch

Bike climb early on should split things up nicely.

Run course is going to be impossible to find rhythm.

Initial verdict... Proper World Championship course!

For those of us not from the area, is the bike course able to be ridden pre race?

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to come in for a weekend of training on the course

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
The swim has a 400m upstream swim. I'm not sure how much resistance we'll get, as it is closer to the shore, but it could be tough if there's any rain in the days leading up to the race.
Yeah, impossible to know. I did a race in 2014 there with almost that same configuration. It actually was not bad at all. If they did this tomorrow, it would be ug-ly.
d00d wrote:
The bike doesn't look bad, with all the climbing in the first third. I bet it's going to be a FAST ride once you start descending! Overall, ~ 3500 of climbing. Glad it's not the ~5000+ that I kept hearing!
After that first climb, it's gonna be fast. Also only 3,400 means I'll be fine with my disc.

d00d wrote:
The run...ouch. That is going to be tough. It looks like a whole bunch of short to medium length climbs.
A bunch of short punchy hills, and a bigger one coming up Young Ave on the North Shore. Although I prefer this run course to the U-Turn-a-palooza we'll race next weekend.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to put a lot of merit into the elevation gain. I've seen courses (more run courses than any) where the elevation gain is really half or a bit more than half of what it posted/stated.

I like the course though. Tough and challenging. Just the way it should be.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better late than never... I think it will be provide for a good race. The second lap of the run will hurt...

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slight correction... the swim is 860m upstream. For the full, they bussed us way to the right on the map and we swam/floated downstream.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [MOPinCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say that's a pretty big difference to point out- double the distance against the current ..............
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
doublea334 wrote:
First half of swim - up current .... ouch

Bike climb early on should split things up nicely.

Run course is going to be impossible to find rhythm.

Initial verdict... Proper World Championship course!

For those of us not from the area, is the bike course able to be ridden pre race?

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to come in for a weekend of training on the course

A lot of this bike course could be ridden but I don't think I'd chance climbing up Ochs, especially on weekends. It's a narrow two lane road that is a bit twisty at the beginning of the climb. Despite the curvy road, cars are flying through there. It's gonna be a hell of a climb to get started (after only five miles of riding).
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
Better late than never... I think it will be provide for a good race. The second lap of the run will hurt...

Brian

Brian, I'm wondering on the run course where exactly we cut over from Riverfront Parkway to the Riverwalk just past miles 2 and 8. Are we cutting through the far side of the VFW parking lot? From the way the map is drawn, it doesn't look like we're cutting through the Health Services parking lot like for the May 70.3. Thanks.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBT should be up tomorrow but the run will cut in before the Boathouse Restaurant and then run down the access road to get on the trail near the Rowing Center.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [MOPinCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I looked at the swim profile (not the description) and guessed that the 400 meter section was upstream.

Given what we've heard about the fast swim at Chattanooga over the years, I wonder how much current is in that area...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This course is beautiful!
Thanks Brian :)

endurathonrd wrote:

Brian

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on timeline for Event Calendar and / or Athlete Guide?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. The course was announced. But...any info about the timeline will be great.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Any thoughts on timeline for Event Calendar and / or Athlete Guide?
Thanks!

What do you want to know?

A brief timeline (though not official) was mentioned in this thread earlier or one of the others?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically the 2017 version of this: https://goo.gl/fYKVvt and this: https://goo.gl/O0KFpL

I get the basic stuff already mentioned but I was just looking for official guidance (there have been some discrepancies in previous info. so I’d rather wait for the official word). No big deal / more curious if it was known.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ridden or ran the new WC published bike/run course yet that can share a Garmin file?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good News.

Oficial Schedule released.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [mariutti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if IM has blocked off rooms downtown? I can't find a room anywhere!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think so. You need to book through the official travel agent to get one of those hotels. And you need to book the "minimum" nights.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [mariutti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mariutti wrote:
Good News.

Oficial Schedule released.

So is the banquet an "add on" type deal (i.e.- pay additional to get to go to this)? Is that well attended?
Also- "parade of nations" ............. likewise- well attended? How does that all work? Can family be in "parade" or is it strictly for athletes? Is this just an age grouper thing?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last time in Vegas 2013 the banquet was free, part of the experience. I remember some good food, delicious chocolate chip cookies.

The parade of nations was related to a a video/ slide presentation about World's and the breakdown of athletes from different countries. I think they had the different county participants stand. I recall a lot of South Americans.

If it fits into your schedule it is worth it in my opinion. I'm coming in Friday so I'll miss it.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very excited about this race, course included. I do not recommend training on Och's unless it's before the locals wake up. They can be quite cranky. Better to ride up scenic for training purposes. Just some local 411.
Quote Reply

Prev Next