Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you don't think we need Wednesday night? I was just worried that they might make us check in on Saturday, like they have in the past. But that was for a Saturday event. I would bet that men will be able to check in on Friday since we're not racing until Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got uber-lucky and somehow managed to snag a room at the Marriott downtown using points a few months ago....a brief window of opportunity before Marriott / WTC blocked everything.....now I just gotta earn enough points. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was hoping to volunteer for this race, and to only stay one night.... But I can't find anyway to make that happen, and the idea of driving 2 hours there and then 2 hours back home in one day isn't all that appealing.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [RayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hotel info and booking site is now open on the 70.3 WC site. The rates on our site are better than dealing with hotels directly.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to guess that we will have to check in by Thursday.... women AND men. Just my guess......

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
So you don't think we need Wednesday night? I was just worried that they might make us check in on *Thursday*, like they have in the past. But that was for a Saturday event. I would bet that men will be able to check in on Friday since we're not racing until Sunday.

We may have to check in on Thursday, but I only have a 5 hour drive. So I figured I'd either drive up that morning, or drive close and stay an hour away the night before.

If I was flying, I would plan to be there the day before the last day for check (just in case something happens).

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are thousands of hotel rooms in Hamilton County, over half of which won't raise their rates for this event. Of course the downtown ones have! You can stay near raccoon mtn, hixson, Hamilton place, ooltewah for normal rates, all of which ar within 20 minutes. Parking isn't an issue downtown or near the venue. The deck attached to the expo area has never filled up for our events here. The second largest deck a block away has never filled up. The parking decks haven't even raised their rates for event weekends. This is about as perfect of a venue/city as far as accommodations go as it gets...

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
This is about as perfect of a venue/city as far as accommodations go as it gets...

Brian

Agreed. Soooo does this mean you are not going to go to a split transition?

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, one transition, same as I use for the other events. Still plan on swim starting and finishing at Ross's Landing, a lil ride up and over a mountain, then the run will take all the "fun" parts of the full and do it twice. Im shooting for 5000 feet of gain on the bike and around 1200 feet on the run. And it could be hot...

Hope to have the schedule pretty well worked out in the coming weeks as the World Champs crew gets together in Tampa and then in Chattanooga. I know there are a lot of questions about check in. Be patient, its coming!

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how far (mileage-wise) this elevation is spread out over bothe courses (bike & run).

Wondering how many disks we'll see out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
Still plan on swim starting and finishing at Ross's Landing,
Brian

So we're looking at a loop, swimming up river a considerable amount at some point - as opposed to the usual down-river swim.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is correct.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
It will be interesting to see how far (mileage-wise) this elevation is spread out over bothe courses (bike & run).

I don't understand why people think its bad to run a disc on a "hilly" course. I see no reason to not run a disc even if elevation ends up being 5k.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Y-Tri wrote:

I don't understand why people think its bad to run a disc on a "hilly" course. I see no reason to not run a disc even if elevation ends up being 5k.

x2

I'll be on a disc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Y-Tri wrote:

Don't some of the recent WT tests indicate that a disc is only a marginal gain over a deeper rim rear wheel? I thought FLO's testing showed only a few seconds difference over a 40k? Given the amount of climbing proposed for this race, couldn't a decent case be made for running something lighter?

I'm likely gonna use a disc, but am not ruling out a deep rim rear at this point.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
stevej wrote:
Y-Tri wrote:

Don't some of the recent WT tests indicate that a disc is only a marginal gain over a deeper rim rear wheel? I thought FLO's testing showed only a few seconds difference over a 40k? Given the amount of climbing proposed for this race, couldn't a decent case be made for running something lighter?

I'm likely gonna use a disc, but am not ruling out a deep rim rear at this point.

Marginal is relative though.

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...-aero-vs-weight.html

Look at the Savageman course towards the bottom (6k ft of climbing). Aero wins by over a minute. I know some may say its only a minute but to ME, 1 min is worth it to run a disc.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Savageman sample isn't really applicable to the Discussion though because it only looks at the light training (non-aero) wheels vs a FLO 90 / disc.

Look at the LP example...somewhere around 4K feet of climbing (total number is cutoff, but let's call it even @ 5k for comparison purposes to Chattanooga). Time savings of 90 / disc vs. 60/90 is ~50". But that is over 112 miles, not 56. So with the same amount of climbing over half the distance, there is much less flat road for aero to provide benefit.

And my wheels will be much lighter than FLO wheels, so the ~50" noted in their models anyway.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh... I missed that. Thanks.

Still though, even with the IMLP scenario, the disc is still faster. Not by much though. With some wheels that are lighter than the flo 60/90 combo, could that difference be made even smaller? Definitely. But I could also run a zipp nsw 808 with a super 9 and be 250g lighter than the flo 90/disc. Whats the time savings between those two?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until we see the course profile, i don't think there is any way to know "for sure"...but based on the idea of 5k of climbing in a HIM bike leg (roughly the same as the harder full IM courses), I'm not ruling out using deep rims vs a disc in the rear just yet.

Maybe once the course is announced we can model it better in BBS.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Until we see the course profile, i don't think there is any way to know "for sure"...but based on the idea of 5k of climbing in a HIM bike leg (roughly the same as the harder full IM courses), I'm not ruling out using deep rims vs a disc in the rear just yet.

Maybe once the course is announced we can model it better in BBS.

Agree with your assessment. I would normally use a disc, but after modeling it out in BBS, and doing a few hilly rides with a disc, I'll make that determination.

5K of climbing is crazy for a HIM. It's going to be funny to hear all the complaints from the "flat landers" (ie: Floridians) after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Muskoka 70.3 course has nearly 5k of climbing and I raced a disc there, netting the 2nd fastest bike split in my AG. If I qualify for Chattanooga I plan on racing a disc.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
The Muskoka 70.3 course has nearly 5k of climbing and I raced a disc there, netting the 2nd fastest bike split in my AG. If I qualify for Chattanooga I plan on racing a disc.

Not that it is the height of reliability, but the Muskoka 70.3 site says 832m / 2700ft of climbing.

http://www.ironman.com/...0elevation%20map.pdf

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
natethomas wrote:

Not that it is the height of reliability, but the Muskoka 70.3 site says 832m / 2700ft of climbing.

http://www.ironman.com/...0elevation%20map.pdf

A quick search puts Muskoka at 1000m, or so. I'll probably race a disc at Worlds, but will plan to do a few very hilly rides first.

I can't wait for the actual details on the site.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [RayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If cost is a factor, but still want a quality hotel I would recommend the Embassy Suites near Hamilton Place. It's maybe 15 minute drive to downtown. It's rated the #1 Embassy Suites in America. You could also look into staying at the Crash Pad. It's a hostle that's just a few miles away. I've been there a few times for parties, but I have never stayed there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
No, one transition, same as I use for the other events. Still plan on swim starting and finishing at Ross's Landing, a lil ride up and over a mountain, then the run will take all the "fun" parts of the full and do it twice. Im shooting for 5000 feet of gain on the bike and around 1200 feet on the run. And it could be hot...

Hope to have the schedule pretty well worked out in the coming weeks as the World Champs crew gets together in Tampa and then in Chattanooga. I know there are a lot of questions about check in. Be patient, its coming!

Brian

Heck yea.

Lookout or Signal Mountain?

Race Reports, etc -- Bob's Bikes
Quote Reply

Prev Next