Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's kind of interesting is that the flow releases from the dam upstream at the Chickamauga Lake Dam are all over the place over the past 48 hours https://www.tva.gov/...Chickamauga/48-Hours). If Jesse Thomas swam yesterday, he likely swam against the approximate 13,500 CFS flow, which is significant but not the highest over the past days. BTW, the flow for those of you who swam this morning was apparently over 21,000 CFS. Tomorrow is the same and Friday is even higher.
If the RD does in fact get 6,800 CFS, that makes me feel better. If it's the flow Jesse had and he swam 43 minutes, then I am hoping for 59.5 min.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let it flow, let it flow. Give the swimmers an advantage, for a change
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Good stuff. I'm excited.... can't wait.

This will be the first race I've used my small chain ring since 2011.

I don't understand, who uses 2x anymore?

Look forward to seeing/meeting folks post-race!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
stevej wrote:

Didn't you here? 1x is a fad. ;)

In all seriousness, I don't mine using the small chain ring. And I like tight gearing. It's driving me crazy that I am running a 11-28t this weekend. I get people really like 1x, but it's not for me.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
stevej wrote:

In all seriousness, I don't mine using the small chain ring. And I like tight gearing. It's driving me crazy that I am running a 11-28t this weekend. I get people really like 1x, but it's not for me.

Eh, I'll be sporting my 2x AND my 32T. Nothing in between available as far as cassette I own (that I don't need to spend $$$), and it served me well at Canadaman. I don't mind, plus it reminds me not to burn too many matches on climbs. 1x is not for me... yet. Who knows in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
stevej wrote:

1x, guaranteed to hijack any thread. I had meant to emphasize meeting folks after the race and hanging out!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there an after race hang out place and time planned out? We probably will high tail it home to get back before Irma makes our drive miserable but if not I'd love to meet other STers!

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
Is there an after race hang out place and time planned out? We probably will high tail it home to get back before Irma makes our drive miserable but if not I'd love to meet other STers!

Cheers,

Interested to hear what others have already planned or propose. I'll be staying the night Sunday night, and will hang out around the finish line and attend awards that evening.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just rode the course using my 36/32 combo, and spun the living shit up the climbs.

Did I need it? No.

Did I love it? You bet your ass.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Flow rate Wednesday was about 21,000- flow rate today was about 24,000. The TVA would LIKE a flow rate under 8,000 for race days, but frankly keeping the reservoirs from flooding and utilities working is just a little bigger priority than the race. With that in mind, run off from the recent rain is a big factor in how the flow rate will be managed. It will be as low as they can make it, but that is what was done Wednesday and Thursday, so... be prepared for a tough swim, and remember that you will get to swim super fast coming back!
- water temp was officially 77.1 Thursday morning, down .3 from Wednesday. Who knows what Saturday and Sunday will be? Don't be fooled with the cooler air temp, the biggest factors are the amount of sunlight and running of the power generators- So this is a literal coin flip. Could be a different call each day- wouldn't that be fun!
- All this stressing about the current and water Temp- if you want to stress, the bike course is a BEAST! And I am not talking bout "the hill". It is more about the endless 8-12% kickers that come AFTER the climb.
- AND, oh yeah- the run may be the hardest leg! Smile, don't stress, don't expect a PR or "fast" time, ENJOY :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone hit the race briefing and can clarify if we are having a clean transition and when drop will be?

Oh any other nuggets fromthe briefing would be swell for us souls who couldn't get free to fly in Thursday
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Anyone hit the race briefing and can clarify if we are having a clean transition and when drop will be?

Oh any other nuggets fromthe briefing would be swell for us souls who couldn't get free to fly in Thursday

+1
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still debating whether to bring the wetsuit. Only time I ever didn't take it to a race they managed to find a cool spot and it was wetsuit legal. A little les bulk to put in my carry on w/out the wetsuit.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove the run course or all of what I was able to in a car.

Um yeah. This will be the most talked about thing after the race. Not the hill on the bike.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. After that climb and descent, the bike is flat. That run course is going to be brutal! close to 80ft gain per mile. Go Go Stryd power! (inspector gadget reference)

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

+1
Clean transition, bike and run bags. Just like a full Ironman. They said they were going to slow the rate of flow. That's about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I drove the run course or all of what I was able to in a car.

Um yeah. This will be the most talked about thing after the race. Not the hill on the bike.

I did the hardest parts of the bike and run course today.

The bike climb was slow, but what was also hard was that I was tired afterwards and on all the other ups on the course you won't feel fresh.

On the run, I found that the climbs are short and broken up. I don't think anyone will be talking about the run nearly as much as the bike after the race having sampled both today.

For those who don't get to ride the course, there is one spot where you get your first really nice view looking left. Right after that, the grade gets harder, just be prepared.

Oh and for those who asked about the rules briefing. The water temp today was 77. There is no wetsuit option at 76.1 and warmer. They will penalize for drafting going uphill, but won't be quite as strict on the 25 second rule on the uphills.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
iamuwere wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

+1

Clean transition, bike and run bags. Just like a full Ironman. They said they were going to slow the rate of flow. That's about it.

Thanks, rock on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well that was boneheaded of me: just now saw that packet p/u ends at 5pm today. My flight arrives at 5:10pm. I've never been to a rac where packet p/u ends 2 days before the race. I emailed the WC ironman address and will see if they'll be there till 6pm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's hilarious. Can't wait to hit the climb on my setup later this afternoon!

doublea334 wrote:
Just rode the course using my 36/32 combo, and spun the living shit up the climbs.

Did I need it? No.

Did I love it? You bet your ass.

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna guess there will be several driving in at 430 pm central time only to find out Chattanooga is Eastern.

I'm sure they will find you a way to get checked in

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Last edited by: Terra-Man: Sep 8, 17 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM took care of me - thanks! Their emergency contact phone number was responsive

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody told me water was 76.2 this morning. Not sure if true, but if so that's obviously very close, with 2 more cool nights coming (1 for women).
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like it has dropped almost a degree per night over last three nights, sure felt warm though
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds 2017, Chattanooga Information [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was on a board showing the temps every morning since Wed and the temps have dropped about .7 of a degree a day and at 76.2 today.

It was very comfortable swimming in swimskin, and would be quite warm in a wetsuit just now.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply

Prev Next