Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Worlds - CPSC approved helmet
Quote | Reply
I am planning on riding during the 70.3 worlds in a couple of weeks with a kask mojito helmet which meets the european standards. Reading the rules, I need to ride with a CPSC approved helmet. Don't want to get DQ or even worst not allowed to ride. Would be a shame to have to buy another helmet just for one race and not having time to get used to it. Anyone has had a similar issue before? Anyone would have a list of all CPSC approved helmets?

Any feedback would be welcomed.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds - CPSC approved helmet [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Write to the race director and ask, often they will comply with another countries standards, especially if you are from Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be wrong here, but I understoon as long as your National Federation approves the helmet, then it should be OK for Worlds use.
FVL used an Ekoi in Kona for example -which was legal for him there despite being in USA, as it was a WC- however Del Corral face a DQ in Florida for wearing the same lid http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._upheaval__4013.html

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds - CPSC approved helmet [steve_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what Slowman wrote regarding that: "USA Triathlon, sanctioner of both races race, grants a dispensation from the strict CPSC-only rule for world championships WTC produces in Las Vegas and Kona, only because there are so many foreign athletes entered in these races and it would cause mayhem for these athlete to be turned away because they don’t have conforming helmets. "

I imagine Triathlon Canada and Marc Roy et al. will follow that same protocol :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just called the Head ref for Triathlon Quebec and steve_c is correct, as long as the helmet is approved by your national federation you will have no issues at the 70.3 WC
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds - CPSC approved helmet [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for following up Marc. I was a bit worried when frenchieTT made that post as I only have an Australian Standards helmet.. :)

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds - CPSC approved helmet [steve_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. As it happens (having contacted the manufacturer), my helmet is also cpsc approved as well, but the sticker inside the said helmet only says EN for helmets sold in Europe. So I should be fine.

Hope you have a good race there Steve_c. I cant wait to be on the start line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done an Ironman branded race, but I have never heard of someone being turned away for non-certified bike helmets, nor have I ever seen a race director/ ref even slightly look at anyone's helmet at any of the USAT races I have gone to. With the number of people running around in the morning before the race and rater limited number of refs, it's pretty unlikely anyone would notice anything unless you showed up with a sombrero for a helmet.
Last edited by: SPL Tech: Aug 23, 14 4:37
Quote Reply