Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 St. Croix Recap
Quote | Reply
I don't post too terribly often but I promised someone on the island I'd make a slowtwitch post with some thoughts on the race, and St. Croix in general. That being said, everyone on St. Croix is incredibly friendly. From restaurant owners at Un Amore (whose son demolished the sprint) to just random people walking the streets, the staff at Hotel on the Cay.

Holy hell, what a race. It was my first time competing, and I went in without much of an aerobic base (Olympic A race two weeks prior, not much in terms of long runs or long rides since February). Just about everything except the swim is against the athlete every step of the way, but it was fantastically run. I was worried for a "low-key" event that there would be mismarked turns, or some other annoyances. Tom Guthrie really put together a great event. It's something when 1,000 volunteers around the island (a population of 50k) support a dwindling 200 athletes. It's really sad that its the last race, and that it has run dry in the triathlon community because it brings in a lot of money to businesses on the island.

Swim--The ocean swim was incredibly fun. All of the athletes swam from transition to a cay island about 150 yards out, got in the swim corral and waited to start. The course took a sharp left turn around the cay, running parallel to the main island. We rounded a triangle buoy and did a 150-ish degree turn that angled us back to transition. It was basically a big triangle. My watch logged 2240 yards, finish time of 33:40. It felt very fast and buoyant in the salt water, and rescue divers under each buoy were fun to watch as you swam overhead. I managed to be in the lead pack from the first wave, so the fish weren't scared away yet.

Bike-- the swim was directly into transition, so no run. The course was incredibly scary on race day, since a light rain made the already rough roads (despite being paved) very slick. A short 8-mile loop with rolling hills and high humidity took you back into Christiansted in a few narrow alleys which, if dry, would have been very classic "Tour de...[x]" like, providing a ton of energy. Couple 90 degree turns made speed very slow. Slightly rolling hills followed for 12 miles to the base of "The Beast." While steep, I think it is a little over-advertised if you manage your energy conservatively. A couple minutes of suffering, spin out your legs once you crest it and a careful, windy descent lets you recover quite a bit. Also I was rocking a 39/28, so the gear ratio helped. Then settle into a higher aerobic pace for the true second half of the course. Since the 55.4 miles takes you around the whole island, you get to see it all, and the second half is much more scenic than the first. It is windy, though. So you conquer the hills and go into a harsh headwind for anything downhill and flat. There's no gaining momentum. And any downhill has a sharp turn that follows it anyways. It's easy to tell who didn't listen to Tom when he said "Listen to the SLOW signs painted on the ground. Trust me." There was a lot of road rash. Finished in 2:52, a whole 30 minutes slower than what I did at Austin in October.

Run-- All about heat management. Two loops, and very little was ever flat or any extended portion. An aid station every kilometer was stocked with ice, cold sponges, gatorade, water and some solid foods (plus coke). Ice down the suit, sponge off face and head, swig of gatorade/water at every station. You run through a golf course from roughly mile 2.5 to mile 3.5 without a station, so cool off before real good. The golf course is a heat lab, and it has a few steep climbs that are actually better walked than ran from an energy management perspective, unless you're an incredible runner, and very light and lean. There was loads of support from islanders throughout the run, though. A live band, running into town, and a group of 20 that are just hanging out at a bar cheering on athletes. The energy made it difficult to walk. Finished 1:46, another 15 minutes slower than in Austin.

Last edited by: odpaul7: May 8, 17 23:22
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [odpaul7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the nice report and positive vibe for the island of St. Croix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there. What a great, epic race. As the announcer said at the awards banquet - this is not a time course, it's a place course. You are obviously very fast based on your Austin times and you were about 45 minutes off of your "normal" 70.3 time. I was about 1 hour slower. It is a shame about the race - it is just so darn hard to get down there with bikes, gear, family, etc. compared to say, Puerto Rico. But those who missed out on racing St. Croix missed a truly special race. You can easily see why they used to have Kona slots. That race is way harder than the full 140.6 distance at many of the current IM courses. RIP St. Croix 70.3.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the 35 slots get allocated out? Did it seem like a lot of people qualified that wouldn't have at other races? I'm curious to know if there were people that strategically targeted this race thinking they might have a chance at a slot. Or if people went there because it was a good race vacation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad about this race not continuing. It was my first half, in 2008. A big time field. Winners were Crowie and Rinny. Simon Lessing was there along with Faris Al Sultan, Fernanda Keller, Nina Kraft. I think Mike Pigg won the sprint. It was hot, it was hard and I probably picked the wrong half to be my first but couldn't have picked a better one.

It's strange that my first tri was St Anthony and we are seeing the attendance drop off there also.

Glad you enjoyed the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this race for the purpose of qualifying. Unfortunately, it looks like a bunch of others in my AG had the same idea. My time would have put me 2nd last year with about an hour margin over 3rd. This year I was 5th. Almost everyone took their slots, there were very few roll downs so it seems that a lot of people came to St Croix to qualify.

What a race! My bike/run was 37 min slower than Austin. Reading yalls comments is making me feel a lot better about my performance! Ive been making real progress the past year so this race felt like a bit of a setback but maybe not so much...I definitely feel like I have unfinished business here, if this race somehow gets resurrected I'll for sure want to take another shot at it.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. It just goes to show that you can't consistently predict these things. Best to just pick a race that matches your strengths and train your heart out! Good luck next time.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost everyone took their slots. Many age groups went 1-2-3 with no rolldown. The field was small but mighty. Example - the winner of my AG, the M 45-49 was a former pro from Holland, Chris Brands. His time at St. Croix would have won this AG at many "normal" 70.3s. Racers #5 and 6 in this AG would have tied the winner of this AG last year plus or minus 30 seconds. The field last year was in no way reflective of who came this year. A lot of people I spoke to came there for the purpose of qualifying but they were generally very strong racers regardless of field size.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
Almost everyone took their slots. Many age groups went 1-2-3 with no rolldown. The field was small but mighty. Example - the winner of my AG, the M 45-49 was a former pro from Holland, Chris Brands. His time at St. Croix would have won this AG at many "normal" 70.3s. Racers #5 and 6 in this AG would have tied the winner of this AG last year plus or minus 30 seconds. The field last year was in no way reflective of who came this year. A lot of people I spoke to came there for the purpose of qualifying but they were generally very strong racers regardless of field size.

Will just have to try again in Costa Rica ;) caught island fever haha. I rolled my slot to my teammate on an agreement I had with the man in charge of the west point team, but I was definitely hoping for a leftover. So it kind of was a vacation race with a worlds slot being icing on the cake, but the only people that rolled their slots seemed to have already qualified at another half.

Was lucky enough to be able to do this race in its last year.

I agree most people I talked to were there for a Worlds Slot. None of the women's spots rolled down and to my knowledge only 3 men's slots rolled down. My friend and I were both lucky to get slots, she was in the only women's AG to get 2 slots (she finished 2nd in AG and 3rd OA female) and I got a roll down as one guy was a no-show and another declined.

I agree with all of the above statements about the race, the course and the locals, everyone was so nice. And I spent the rest of the week there on vacation and anytime I had a race t-shirt on I got tons of questions and congratulations from people.

I also heard rumors from locals that there is talk about trying to keep the race alive in some form or another, don't know what that might mean or look like but I would definitely go back.

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [Doctor_J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I might go down and maybe get a slot. In 2015 I was offered one after a 7 hr plus result. It was a bad day for me I was undertrained and got at least heat exhaustion. Looks like I wouldn't have had a chance.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doctor_J wrote:
Was lucky enough to be able to do this race in its last year.

I agree most people I talked to were there for a Worlds Slot. None of the women's spots rolled down and to my knowledge only 3 men's slots rolled down. My friend and I were both lucky to get slots, she was in the only women's AG to get 2 slots (she finished 2nd in AG and 3rd OA female) and I got a roll down as one guy was a no-show and another declined.

I agree with all of the above statements about the race, the course and the locals, everyone was so nice. And I spent the rest of the week there on vacation and anytime I had a race t-shirt on I got tons of questions and congratulations from people.

I also heard rumors from locals that there is talk about trying to keep the race alive in some form or another, don't know what that might mean or look like but I would definitely go back.

1st OA Female did not take a 70.3 Chatt WC slot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see "Challenge St Croix" in the next year or two

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

1st OA Female did not take a 70.3 Chatt WC slot.

My bad, was going based on info I got from Dave Ragsdale (the announcer), ran into him and his wife at a restaurant Monday night and chatted with him and asked about roll down as I missed everything after the M40-44 as I went to swipe my credit card .... errrrr .... I mean sign up for 70.3 Worlds. Regardless, sounds like very little roll down although I don't have a lot to compare too.

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was definitely an interesting day and race. Lots of people I saw crashed and a lot of flats, I had a lot of mistakes and nerves were shot after dealing with the roads on the bike also sadly made a wrong turn at a split that just had a cone and nothing else.. (Should have studied the course more my fault)

Overall it was good I was there to qualify and had it all gone to plan I would have been near top AG ended up in 4th and assumed it was a waste to go and see if it would roll anyways. Congrats on your race sounds like you had a good day!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard/eavesdropped through multiple reliable sources that this is a very real possibility. I don't think anyone (except apparently ironman) wants to see this race die.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be awesome.

I'd love to do Challenge St croix then got It challenge Aruba again. That race was a blast!

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St. Croix Recap [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We did the race. Eight pasty white folks from the Pacific Northwest got fried in the heat/humidity. It was my wife's first 70.3 (as a jump up from a measly Sprint). She survived. Just. We all did. We had a great time after the race. :-) Two in our group qualified. One took the slot. Choooo!

It was my 50th bday present, and I was happy the event lived long enough for us to go.

After Cozumel and St. Croix, I am beginning to believe I shouldn't be so quick to chase down tropical (heat) race locations.