Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Lake Placid
Quote | Reply
So a while ago I know there were rumors of 70.3 Lake Placid, specifically with 70.3 World's. So I'm from near Lake Placid, and have been in talks with some local triathlon related store owners. They said 70.3 Lake Placid is confirmed, September of next year.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [elrasc06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be awesome. I hope it's true.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reliable source. Running store owner who is sponsoring the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Originally if they won 2017 world's Jeff Edwards said the test event would be 2016. Glad they will have one in 2017. Too bad it is in Sep. Aug would be better before schools/colleges all start up again. You want to go to LP during vacation season, not during work season!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news....for the local inn keepers. Four night minimums?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a rumor here for the last 3 months. One rumor was we're getting a regular 70.3, and another was Lake Placid was going to sign a 4 year contract for the 70.3 World Championships. I do know town officials and subcontractors have been in talks, but everything is being kept on the down low. Hopefully official news will come soon.

The town slows down right after Labor Day, so hopefully it'll help with hotel rates.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [exerciseaddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in, as soon as it opens I'll sign up. I did the first IMLP in 99 and want to go back. Please keep any information coming.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for that as well!!

On a somewhat related note, I was in Placid last weekend and someone at the LBS mentioned that this year's bike course could end up being shortened due to issues with permits? They didn't have much more info, but I'm thinking the only way that course can be shortened is by taking the out/back away.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chbelair wrote:
I'm in for that as well!!

On a somewhat related note, I was in Placid last weekend and someone at the LBS mentioned that this year's bike course could end up being shortened due to issues with permits? They didn't have much more info, but I'm thinking the only way that course can be shortened is by taking the out/back away.

No problem, just replace with a 3 mile out and back detour to the Toll gate on each loop. That will return 12 of the lost miles :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is very cool, but being in September, does that compete with the newly acquired IM70.3 Atlantic City?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this potential race being worked out by WTC or local groups?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [wojoku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll be WTC, Lake Placid 70.3. My contact just said they'd be in the expo/ partial sponsor, not organizing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on this?

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to reconcile this thread and what I'm seeing out in Google........am I to understand there will be a Sept 2017 70.3 in Lake Placid? Google search points to Chattanooga have 70.3 Worlds in Sept 2017 and that Lake Placid lost the bid. Appreciate any updates as this thread certainly looks favorable and I want to get it locked down and watch for sign ups. Thx
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [Trihumor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IF it were true, I can see them waiting until some time this week, like the Welcome Meeting or the Awards Banquet, to announce it.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT'S OFFICIAL

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/lake-placid.aspx#axzz4F476KKPx
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...I cannot believe no one has said a thing about a new 70.3 in Lake Placid in September. Maybe it is because people understand winter starts up there in late August and it is going to be a chilly day. :) I think the late summer and fall in the Adirondacks is a perfect time for a race. At least it will be wetsuit legal. But the lack of any enthusiasm is remarkable to me. A few years ago this site would have been lit up with chatter about the race. Maybe everyone who would do it is signing in for the IMLP right now.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Wow...I cannot believe no one has said a thing about a new 70.3 in Lake Placid in September. Maybe it is because people understand winter starts up there in late August and it is going to be a chilly day. :) I think the late summer and fall in the Adirondacks is a perfect time for a race. At least it will be wetsuit legal. But the lack of any enthusiasm is remarkable to me. A few years ago this site would have been lit up with chatter about the race. Maybe everyone who would do it is signing in for the IMLP right now.

Sep 10th weekend is hit and miss for Demi Esprit in Montreal or Muskoka half IM (when they used to have it that weekend). It can be hot and sunny or cold and torrential rain. LP tends to be a bit cooler than both being 2000 ft higher up. I would love to head back there to race this one. Always thought it would be great to race a half distance on that course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am usually hiking up a 46er that weekend, and always find the weather perfect for hiking, although it can be brisk in the early AM. Since it is a 70.3, maybe they can have a humane start, like 9 am, when the sun has warmed things a bit. But that tri calendar is really getting busy that time frame in the NE....that weekend (or weekends near it) are generally the weekends for Pumpkinman, Toughman, Atlantic City and big bike events like NYC Century, GF New Jersey. It will be interesting to see what happens to IMLP 70.3 and IM 70.3 AC being so close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:

Sep 10th weekend is hit and miss for Demi Esprit in Montreal or Muskoka half IM (when they used to have it that weekend). It can be hot and sunny or cold and torrential rain. LP tends to be a bit cooler than both being 2000 ft higher up. I would love to head back there to race this one. Always thought it would be great to race a half distance on that course.

and I agree about a half on that course. Any time I did the full IM, I always thought "if only I had to do only one of these laps." That climb from White Face would be much more fun if you only had to do it once in a day.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it doesn't matter to most people but it's also the weekend of the iconic S.O.S. The SOS is a small race, LP70.3 is probably looking for 2000 entries.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I know it doesn't matter to most people but it's also the weekend of the iconic S.O.S. The SOS is a small race, LP70.3 is probably looking for 2000 entries.

FYI this was the same weekend of 70.3 WC at Tremblant...perfect day. It really could go either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would definitely consider this race, but only if lodging is reasonable. Count me out if LP hotels are planning to gouge athletes like they do for IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I told my wife about an hour ago that I'll go for two night but any more and it's a no go.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Lake Placid [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great news. I was in Placid today and made a point to stop into both bike shops (HPC and Placid Planet) to ask about the rumor. They both cited high confidence and that it would probably be announced in concert with the conclusion of IMLP this weekend. Do any of you 70.3 gurus have any guesses as to when this 70.3 will open for registration? Would they open it >12 months out? With all the supply of great races around this weekend in 2017, it is my sense it will not sell out in minutes/hours. I am stoked to do a '1-lapper' at Placid as my only 2-lapper was in 2008 (the great flood year.....)
Quote Reply

Prev Next