Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Eagleman
Quote | Reply
Hey ST'ers - my first HIM and doing 70.3 Eagleman in early June - any course tips or weekend suggestions? 12 training weeks away - getting fired up!

Picture for your clicks

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've not gotten housing already then you need to get on that as housing is hard to find. If you're with a group there are some pretty cool houses to be had on vrbo and airbnb though even those may be booked by now.

This tends to be a windy and hot race, so plan accordingly. If there's ever a race where you want to have a good aero position that you can maintain for many miles, this is it. Both the run and bike are flat, but the winds are relentless and there's not a lot of shade anywhere.

I'd characterize the area as bucolic. It's a great place to hang out near or on the water, but not really a whole lot else. There is a small Harriet Tubman museum in Cambridge and an Underground Railroad museum south of Cambridge.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks a lot - have heard its a steamy race - should be interesting.

Have a hotel booked, so all good there !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely emphasize how hot it can get, especially being so early in he season your body might not be acclimated properly. I did it last year and if I recall correctly it was upper 80's. To compare I had not done a single bike ride before that without using at least arm warmers/leg warmers. Needless to say my body wasn't ready for the heat and it was a pretty long day in the sun - some people were running in trails on the side of the road just to avoid the sun.

As already mentioned you can get a lightning fast bike split if you have an aero position and it isn't too windy.

I've always stayed in easton night before the race. Not too far and not too pricey, cool town as well.

I'm thinking of doing it this year as well but may opt for syracuse instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race in a cool area. Especially given that it's your first half, take it easy on the bike (which could not be flatter), as the run can be tough with the heat. 6+ miles in the sun, one short blissfully shaded stretch on "Lover's Lane" at the turnaround , and then 6 more miles in the sun before a great finishing stretch along the water.
Last edited by: mjp202: Mar 8, 18 9:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the race last year, and many of the comments are spot on. The only real shade on the course is less than half a mile in the middle of the run, and you coming out of that shaded, tree-covered section, feels like opening an oven door. There were a few windy sections on the bike, generally in the later half, but it didn't seem to negatively effect things compared with projections on Best Bike Split.

Take the run out nice and easy - always better to negative split. I thought I was doing this last year (about 15 seconds slower than usual 70.3 pace) and I still had a run that was nearly nine minutes slower than 'usual.' To compare, I ran 1:29 at Florida 70.3, which is pretty hilly and not that much cooler than MD in June, and I ran a 1:38 at Eagleman. At the end of the run, you come back out to the water and can see/hear the finish line area, but you still have a mile to go - keep that in mind.

I always feel I get good ideas from reading race reports from others, so if you are interested, here's my race report.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Did the race last year, and many of the comments are spot on. The only real shade on the course is less than half a mile in the middle of the run, and you coming out of that shaded, tree-covered section, feels like opening an oven door. There were a few windy sections on the bike, generally in the later half, but it didn't seem to negatively effect things compared with projections on Best Bike Split.

Take the run out nice and easy - always better to negative split. I thought I was doing this last year (about 15 seconds slower than usual 70.3 pace) and I still had a run that was nearly nine minutes slower than 'usual.' To compare, I ran 1:29 at Florida 70.3, which is pretty hilly and not that much cooler than MD in June, and I ran a 1:38 at Eagleman. At the end of the run, you come back out to the water and can see/hear the finish line area, but you still have a mile to go - keep that in mind.

I always feel I get good ideas from reading race reports from others, so if you are interested, here's my race report.

Great report - thanks for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, no helpful tips, but signed up to do this race for the first time this year. (Not my first 70.3)

I cannot find lodging anywhere - have tried AirBnB, Hotels.com, Trivago, etc. Anyone have any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have raced Eagleman 5 of the last 6 years and will do it again this year. It was actually my first triathlon ever in 2012.

For accommodations, St. Michaels is not too far a drive if the hotels in town are already booked and you can't get an Air BNB. I have stayed there a few times with no issues. Other tips:

• If driving to the race start on race day, get there early. Parking can fill up fast and there is limited street parking
  • Wetsuit/non-wetsuit legal is usually a race morning call. Be prepared for both.
  • The bike is almost dead flat as noted....this doesn't necessarily make it easy as there are no downhills to rest on or uphills where you need to come out of aero so you are pretty much trying to steadily crank in aero position the whole time...oh yeah...and can be super windy
  • As others have pointed out..the race can be brutally hot and humid and offers very little shade on the run. Any heat acclimation you can do beforehand will pay off big. Don't forget to plan for salt intake. Also, I find a light hat helpful with the sun on the run. Also helpful for tossing ice into at the aid stations. The run will test your will, as it should.
Have fun...see you in Cambridge!

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Sorry, no helpful tips, but signed up to do this race for the first time this year. (Not my first 70.3)

I cannot find lodging anywhere - have tried AirBnB, Hotels.com, Trivago, etc. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try St. Michaels....easy drive on race morning. Also, the Hyatt (host hotel) usually has rooms that free up closer to race day. You are gonna pay through the nose but it is super nice and quite convenient.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, there are rooms available at the host Hyatt, but at almost $400/night, it's more than I was hoping to spend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Sorry, there are rooms available at the host Hyatt, but at almost $400/night, it's more than I was hoping to spend.

try the "lazy jack inn" or "Knapps Marina inn"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, both look very cute/quaint...but an hour drive on race morning :-/

Maybe that's just what I'll have to deal with
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From now until race day, consider every windy day a training "gift". Seriously, get out there on the windy days as there is a good chance it will be windy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heat acclimation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Thanks, both look very cute/quaint...but an hour drive on race morning :-/

Maybe that's just what I'll have to deal with

A big downfall to this race is a lack of local accommodations. I raced IM Maryland (same course) in 2016 and stayed about 35 minutes away in a town that I think was called Easton. I was used to races like Mont Tremblant where you can roll out of bed and be at the race, but it really wasn't that much of an inconvenience.

I'll each all the comments about heat training, and no shade on the run. Also make sure you're prepared to not get out of aero, I came to the race from trainer riding where I'm rarely in aero and my arms and shoulders were killing me the last 30k.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the split on wetsuit vs non-wetsuit out of those years you've been there? Is the river fairly fresh? All of my OWS have been in wetsuits so i'm worried about it and wondering if I should buy a speedsuit just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there

Done this race 2X and volunteered for it once. It's a super, super race with great community support. You will love it. A couple of points to add to the chorus:
--if you're still at a loss for lodging, check out Oxford, MD. It's about 20 mins from the race site, quiet, a few outstanding restaurants, and very chill - especially compared to St Michaels or Cambridge. There are some nice b&b's as well as AirBnBs. While Slowman may have more details, I've been told in "ancient triathlon lore" Oxford is also home to one of the original old school "equliateral triathlons" that evolved into Eagleman.
--ignore any of the advice about heat and humidity at your peril. This race is seriously hot and humid every year. Even as a finish line volunteer, I was blown away by the heat. Acclimatize, pre hydrate, and hydrate like a mofo during the race.
--As a number of folks told me - don't accumulate heat on the run. It's flat and the first mile is gorgeous, in a very fancy neighborhood with great water views and mansions; the long, long, long straightaway into the countryside is another story - no shade, no protection, and just suffering if the heat and humidity are up. There is very little shade except for the middle portion, and that lasts a very short time. Walk the aid stations if you're suffering....eventually most age groupers walk a bit of the course if the conditions are hard.
--The bike is flat and fast, but windy. Hard to predict the wind direction...but it almost never seems to have been a tailwind in my experience. Ironically, IMMD is the same course, just two loops in the opposite direction and anyone who did the race last year will tell you the winds were a big factor and caused a lot of folks to walk....hammering it on the bike too hard will almost certainly cost you on the run.

Again, I love this race - but it is also summed up in the words of a female pro I won't name who I led as a bike volunteer a few years back who told me at the 7 mile mark "don't bike too far ahead because I think I may die!"

Suffer well.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [bk2508] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bk2508 wrote:
What's the split on wetsuit vs non-wetsuit out of those years you've been there? Is the river fairly fresh? All of my OWS have been in wetsuits so i'm worried about it and wondering if I should buy a speedsuit just in case.

I'm not 100% sure of the split but I think it was non-wetsuit twice in that time. It is almost always touch and go until they make the call race morning. I always bring both a wetsuit and speedsuit.

The river is brackish and tidal, so there is a current one way or the other depending on the tides. It is also pretty shallow...most years you can actually stand up if need be for a fair amount of the course.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
globetrotterjon wrote:
Hey there

Done this race 2X and volunteered for it once. It's a super, super race with great community support. You will love it. A couple of points to add to the chorus:
--if you're still at a loss for lodging, check out Oxford, MD. It's about 20 mins from the race site, quiet, a few outstanding restaurants, and very chill - especially compared to St Michaels or Cambridge. There are some nice b&b's as well as AirBnBs. While Slowman may have more details, I've been told in "ancient triathlon lore" Oxford is also home to one of the original old school "equliateral triathlons" that evolved into Eagleman.
--ignore any of the advice about heat and humidity at your peril. This race is seriously hot and humid every year. Even as a finish line volunteer, I was blown away by the heat. Acclimatize, pre hydrate, and hydrate like a mofo during the race.
--As a number of folks told me - don't accumulate heat on the run. It's flat and the first mile is gorgeous, in a very fancy neighborhood with great water views and mansions; the long, long, long straightaway into the countryside is another story - no shade, no protection, and just suffering if the heat and humidity are up. There is very little shade except for the middle portion, and that lasts a very short time. Walk the aid stations if you're suffering....eventually most age groupers walk a bit of the course if the conditions are hard.
--The bike is flat and fast, but windy. Hard to predict the wind direction...but it almost never seems to have been a tailwind in my experience. Ironically, IMMD is the same course, just two loops in the opposite direction and anyone who did the race last year will tell you the winds were a big factor and caused a lot of folks to walk....hammering it on the bike too hard will almost certainly cost you on the run.

Again, I love this race - but it is also summed up in the words of a female pro I won't name who I led as a bike volunteer a few years back who told me at the 7 mile mark "don't bike too far ahead because I think I may die!"

Suffer well.

haha wow! will be fun?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [bk2508] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice. Once in 2011 it was not wetsuit legal. The second time in 2014 it was wetsuit legal but just barely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done Eagleman 4X going back to 2008. Great race, very well organized. Lots of Pros and Cons:

- Swim is in brackish water so if it's not wetsuit legal, you'll still float well. Over the last 10 years it's been wetsuit legal more than not ; but it's always close, so consider a sleeveless wetsuit if you get hot. For warm-up swim you have to climb over rocks that are super slippery. I cut my foot one year. Bring throwaway flip flops. You can throw them away before the swim start.

- Transition is Marsh Park, and if it rains leading up to the event, or on Race Day, it turns into... well, a muddy marsh. One year it was like monster truck muddy for about 50 yards. Agains, Race Organizers are great and they often put down rugs, but be prepared for some mud potentially.

- Also, transition has 1 pole in the middle. If you're not racked by that pole or an end aisle, really memorize where your Bike is. It's a giant open field with no landmarks (other than the pole) and it's super easy to come out of the water and say "Where the hell is my Bike!?"

- If you have a family in-tow, they will be bored as soon as you get on the bike. If you have little ones, bring portable shade tent. Forget about hot, for three of my four races it has been 100 degree index heat HOT ... even the cops at the intersections where standing under trees. It can be RELENTLESSLY OVEN HOT ON THE RUN.

- For the Bike, it's almost always a great tailwind for the first 40k, followed by crosswinds for the next 15-ish miles, and nasty headwinds the whole way back. Prepare and train to be in the Aero position for a full 56 miles. FULL AERO, all the time. A power meter would really help on this course. I also love a disc for this course as it acts like a sail the first 40k.

- For the Bike and Run, there is not even a semblance of a hill. The entire course is as flat as a piece of drywall. Wicked flat. (On the run theirs one semi-false flat).

- Prepare for zero fan support on 99% of the course. There are some fun college kids usual with slip and slides and friendly neighbors the first and last mile of the run.

- Train Flat for the Bike and Run. Get used to using the same muscle groups, with zero elevation change, for the duration of your workouts.

- AID STATIONS ARE PHENOMENAL. Two years ago they had ice machines at some of them. Take fluids in at each aid station.

- If you luck out and have a rare overcast, cool day ... you'll likely have a fast 70.3 time that could be your PR for a long time. If it's typical 90+ humid temps, with 90% direct sun ... don't even worry about time. Really. Focus on staying hydrated with an EZ to moderate effort.

- Lastly - HAVE FUN!! You'll never ever do your a first 70.3 again. Smile lots and soak it. Despite the Cons, Eagleman is a great great well run race. There's a reason I've driven 6 hours from Long Island to Maryland 4X in the last 10 years.

- There's a Dairy Queen on Route 50 in Cambridge. A blizzard really hits the spot after an EMAN race.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the great advice. I’m in south jersey so hard to really aclimate to heat but boy do we get wind. Less time on the trainer and more outside sounds like good advice. I’ll start reading up on heat strategies. Definitely excited!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing this race for the first time this year. Will be my 4th HIM.

Driving 10 hours from Canada with a group of 4 of us to hopefully complete it!!!!

Looks like I need to get myself a speedsuit and brigndown the stack on the cockpit to train as low as possible.

Amazing Info guys!!!!!

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They’re gonna have sno cones at the aid stations this year. I think at mile six and one other station. If you’ve ever done this race, you just know that sno cones are a major fantasy item as you’re suffering through the run.
Quote Reply

Prev Next