Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 6 weeks into paleo diet - so far very impressed and pleased with the results [pacificfit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"to go TRUE Paleo, you'd have to pick a sport other than triathlon - such as farming, or hunting lions."

You're right about that. You would also need a time machine. And erase all memories of your former life. And go hungry most of the time, probably starve most of your life. But that's not the point though. Paleo diet is a way to get clues about what kind of foods the human body is genetically adapted to and try to incorporate them in a modern life style. The thinking is that grains doesn't provide the body with the right kind of fuel whether you're an athlete or not. They contain anti nutrients that actually, on the contrary, will interfere with the body's ability to absorb nutrients like vitamins and minerals. Paleo diet doesn't claim to be natural, but rather to try to mimic the natural in the best way possible given any individuals needs and possibilities.

Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks into paleo diet - so far very impressed and pleased with the results [pacificfit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's sounds more like an indictment of iron distance triathlon than of paleo.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks into paleo diet - so far very impressed and pleased with the results [Lactone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think many would say Ironman is healthy.

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks into paleo diet - so far very impressed and pleased with the results [jkLundin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have gone on a Paleo diet twice, and personally didn't see any benefit. That doesn't mean others might not have gluten or other grain or dairy-related sensitivities, but it seems I don't. The first time, I used a very strict protocol for, I think, 3 weeks - no grains, no legumes, no dairy, no alcohol, no added sugar of any kind, etc. Then you add one food group back per week to see if you if you have any kind of adverse reaction. Sugar is the last thing added, so you are off that for at least 6 weeks. I had no reaction that I could detect to anything, and I did not find that my sweet tooth was lessened in any way. A year later (early this year), I tried a modified paleo diet for about 6 weeks - no grains nor legumes, but I did have yogurt every day. Something sweet maybe a couple of times a week. Again, I saw no benefit, and it just makes food prep that much more difficult. No packing sandwiches for lunch, I made salads with potato in them as a substitute. In fact, I ended up eating a lot of potatoes to get the carbs I needed for training. And they have a pretty high glycemic load even though they're "paleo". When I got fed up with it and went back to a normal diet, again no adverse reaction. Ability to train and energy levels seemed about the same either way, and I rarely get sick so didn't see any benefit there. Virtually no affect on weight either time.

As a result of these experiments, I do now eat more fresh and dried fruit and nuts than I used to, and somewhat less crackers and other processed food. I am going to try to move to a regimen where the only processed foods I eat are breads, pasta, Cheerios and chocolate; and everything else either fresh/raw or prepared at home. And a bit less of it.

Brian

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks into paleo diet - so far very impressed and pleased with the results [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reduction of processed foods as is reasonable is probably a good idea for most people.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks into paleo diet - so far very impressed and pleased with the results [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not really sure what a "paleo diet" is, but I have a daughter with celiac disease and we eat gluten free. Very easy if you load your plate with fruit, veggies and fish, chicken, pork or beef. We used to eat one veggie a meal, now we eat at least 2 or 3, and we have dropped all starches (rice, pasta, potatoes). I have noticed I have more energy. I recover faster from long rides and I have yet to bonk on a century or 20 miler. I think the whole carbo loading this is bunk. After 30 years of competative marathons, 2 ironman finishes and 4 HIM, I realize that at no point can you load enough carbs to get you to a finish. Its all about being a fat burner. We as humans were fed by plants. Bread is pretty new, I think. So if that is a paleo diet, count me in. Oh, and believe it or not, it is a whole lot cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks into paleo diet - so far very impressed and pleased with the results [jkLundin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to have you back in the game Johan! I remember I reacted on your food intake a few times when you had your blog back in the days. I help a friend in my tri-club with his training and he had exactly the same problem as you one year ago, hundreds of colds. It's all gone now after he made a radical change in his diet. Personally I don't believe in anything with the word diet in the name but taking input from different "schools" and use common sense is always good. But knowledge is the key because common sense tend to change over the years (thank god for that!) ... :) I can only look back on my own food habits a few years ago ... can't believe how I ate back then and still thinked I was healthy :)

The most important things about food if you ask me:

- Good natural food with high quality. Always. Higher price but so much worth it ... And it's a lot tastier!
- Include a lot of colours in every meal! Vegetables, salads, feta, mozzarella, beans, avocado ... you name it! A meal without these things feels boring now. Also learn how to make nice dressings from olive oil.
- When you increase this things you naturally cut down on rice, pasta, bread etc. But I still eat pasta, just not tons of it.
- Be open minded and read cook-books and watch the TV-cooks for inspiration but don't stuck in ONE kind of "diet" (hate this word!). Mix it up! A personal favourite is for example raw-food combined with a nice piece of meat :) Also thai, greek, italian, swedish, indian ... you name it!
- And most most important. Take time for cooking. You spend a lot on training but this is a part of it. Enjoy this and you will experience great payback. You can actually do great meals in 20 minutes and even shorter. Put some love in the food and learn to enjoy eating. I often see people eating just because they are hungry ...

The problem as I see it is when people make too big changes and are not able to stick with it. It's exactly the same phemomen with lazy people who start up their training 20 times each year ... Start doing something and see if you like it! Never eat anything that you don't like but don't be afraid of trying things you THINK you don't like :) If it's cooked properly almost everything is tasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sketch was made for this thread... so funny and so true!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SavsJYXWgm8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"to go TRUE Paleo, you'd have to pick a sport other than triathlon - such as farming, or hunting lions."

You're right about that. You would also need a time machine. And erase all memories of your former life. And go hungry most of the time, probably starve most of your life. But that's not the point though. Paleo diet is a way to get clues about what kind of foods the human body is genetically adapted to and try to incorporate them in a modern life style. The thinking is that grains doesn't provide the body with the right kind of fuel whether you're an athlete or not. They contain anti nutrients that actually, on the contrary, will interfere with the body's ability to absorb nutrients like vitamins and minerals. Paleo diet doesn't claim to be natural, but rather to try to mimic the natural in the best way possible given any individuals needs and possibilities.

I know the whole point of the Paleo diet is to go against common nutritional standards, but nutrients like vitamins and minerals? Unless you are a potato, our bodies need to intake calories bub. If you want minerals go eat some dirt, if you want vitamins go eat some grass or berries (its what the cavemen did). The body is "genetically adapted" (evolved) to absorb and store as many calories as it can before they pass through. Modern life is a small town with two Sonic's and two McD's where food is accessible everywhere and fat bodies roll from place to place not using any energy and putting down buckets of KFC. As much as the Paleo diet wants to it is not going to prove science wrong. Its a fad diet just like all of the rest.
Quote Reply

Prev Next