Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
6 Months Later: my thoughts on Infinit
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I was forwarded the recent article from Triathlon Magazine Canada on Infinit that I have pasted below, but I wanted to share my experience to date using Infinit:

I started using Infinit last December before my XC ski race season and have been using it for triathlon too. Now please keep in mind that these guys sponsor me in Canada and I have known Folan since 1999 when we were both training for the first Ironman LP, so I am by no means impartial.

I did not want to just post stuff right away when I started using it. I wanted to try it out under all conditions mixing it up with a variety of solid foods, salt intake and extremes of temperature from minus 20 C up to plus 35C (over 100F) at intensities ranging from lame training all day aerobic pace to full throttle short course. I also use it in conjunction with Gatorade in both training and racing. Why? Because if I lose my "nutrition" in racing, I want my stomach to be able to handle whatever they serve on course, so that usually means Gatorade.

Unlike the article, I won't make any claims about Infinit boosting my energy levels. A good barbeque chicken, large salad and pasta (or better yet, some Indian food) the nite before a long ride or race will do that for me. However, the Infinit is super easy to digest at high intensity...that is the biggest benefit.

I'll share some of my experiences:

1. For XC skiing, over a 50K race, one bottle with 800 calories and sodium and I am done...no messing around with multiple sources of nutrition at minus 20 in a 25 kph paceline with poles in my hands hoping that I don't get dropped by the train as I try to fiddle with gels etc
  2. For triathlon, everything up to Half Ironman and I just go with Infinit on the bike and also out of T2 and then supplement with off course gels during the run...it is all really clean
  3. I am yet to do a full Ironman with Infinit, but I will at LP. I plan to have 4 bottles totalling 2000 calories (2 at start, 2 at special needs). If it gets really hot, I will supplement with Gatorade.
  4. Sodium is dialed up to full blast, so hopefully no need to for salt tablets till the run in an Ironman. For half or less, no salt tabs
  5. Pre Race, I take in 500 calories from a 500 mL bottle 30 min before swim start. This would be like taking in 5 gels which I'd be burping through the entire swim....the Infinit goes down well pre race
  6. You can vary the protein content in the "Ironnman formula" I have it on "minimum (2g per serving) and it seems to make me feel "full" when on a liquid nutrition only racing plan.
  7. As mentioned above, easy to digest and get lots of calories on the fly at high intensity.

Dislikes
  1. I can't get it at my local corner store....I need to order it and pay $$$$$$ to the UPS guys!!!
  2. I'd like a bit more flavour, but I can live without it
  3. Folan is not the beverage sponsor of IMNA events, so I still have to stay accustomed to consuming Gatorade to supplement my Infinit in case I lose my custom nutrition on course
  4. Trying to take in 3600 calories durinig a 6 hour ride with 2000 from infinit, 1000 from bars, gels and peanut butter sandwiches was fun experiment in 90 degree heat during a 9 hour training day...but 3 stops in the woods to clear the stomach was the outcome....OK, it was not the fault of infinit...more my fault...but that is what training is for
  5. Price....I am sure everyone wished that it was as cheap as Gatorade Powder from your corner store...but as in any market, there is a price for service.

That's it. Feel free to share your thoughts on how you have found this.

Dev

"INFINIT Nutrition
INFINIT Ironman Distance Formulation $39.95
Available in Canada since November 2006, INFINIT Nutrition offers customizable powdered sport drinks for racing and recovery. Available through their web-site (
www.infinitnutrition.ca), INFINIT offers suggested drink formulas for all race distances. I added extra electrolytes and reduced the flavour intensity of the suggested Iron-Distance formula. Other variables that I could have changed included caffeine content, carbohydrate blend, protein content and Amino Acid blend.
For long course-racing INFINIT allows you to use a single nutrition source on the bike. During an Ironman you could take three bottles of your customized INFINIT drink and swap them for three more at the special needs area. By mixing its products with quality ingredients, INFINIT has been able to create more soluable powders. This allows users to choose between the drink's normal concentration, a multi-hour super-concentrated bottle, or a make shift gel.

The suggested pre-race hydration formula had a crisp flavour and plenty of electrolytes, while the recovery formula had a similar texture and taste to other high end recovery drinks. I was excited to sample INFINIT's still unreleased coffee-flavoured meal replacement drink dubbed the FrapPROccino. When mixed with skim milk it provides 300 calories of energy making it an excellent pre-exercise fuel before morning work-outs.

I used INFINIT for two months and found my energy levels on the bike had increased and I felt much fresher leading into my post-bike runs. At press time I will have already placed an order for my second tub and plan to incorporate it into my future racing and training.

by Scott Loong"

Last edited by: devashish paul: Jul 3, 07 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's my article. :)

Quote | Reply
thanks Dev, that all sounds good.

i'm curious why you intake so much on the bike though. 3600 calories seems like so much...that's typical amount for you fast guys, eh?

regarding your 4 bottles totally 2000 calories, it is mixed double strength, or do you have a higher calorie formula that is specially developed for you?

with salt dialed up full blast, do you get thirstier?
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"while the recovery formula had a similar texture and taste to other high end recovery drinks."

I.e., like a bunch of chalk and a hamster thrown in a blender?
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Scott, I know I should really be pushing the recovery stuff, however, as a "poor student", why don't you just have a bowl of oatmeal before training...this is my pre race/training meal (ooops did I just say that....forget what I said...spend $$$$$) :-)...Darcy and Folan are going to hammer me :-)

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kittycat, 3600 calories was a dumb training experiment at Epicman...and it was only 2000 from Infinit, the rest from conventional sources. I think for me, I have concluded that ~350 Kcals per hour is a reasonable limit...any more and my stomach gets too full. On your question about higher calorie formula, what I have is 4 scoops for 330 calories, so I just use ~ 6 scoops per bottle which gets me into the range. As for getting thirstier, well I really don't get thirsty while working out, so that is not a huge problem :-)
Last edited by: devashish paul: Jul 3, 07 12:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Dev!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many threads already written on Infinit nutrition. My 2 cents of experience with the product:

(+) I was attracted by the facts that the product (IM formula - orange flavor) digests easily and does not taste too strong, 2 major advantages for training and racing in the heat. It worked well for me in Kona. I spiked the drink with electrolytes and used Hammer gel in combination.

(-) More expensive than many other products. Also, it seems that the scoops do not contain as much weight as they are supposed to, so you can easily over-estimate your caloric intake if you base your nutritional strategy on a number of scoops.

Bottom-line: will do it again on restricted ($$$) and controlled (weight/scoop) use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 scoops sounds like a lot. Does it taste (or is the consistency) thick or syrupy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Infinit works well for me but it just makes me feel too full (Ironman formula)

I like the Heat foumula they had at DATT the best.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,
[I plan to have 4 bottles totalling 2000 calories (2 at start, 2 at special needs).]
I am just curious
Are you talking about the 500 ml or 710 ml (i.e. Gatorade type) or other bottle?
I will have 1500 calories in two 710 ml bottles (then an extra ~600 calories from blocks and bananas to get just a bit of variety)

[I can't get it at my local corner store....I need to order it and pay $$$$$$ to the UPS guys!!! ]
I agree, however I am sure we could setup a group order to save on UPS (I believe Purolator actually) cost.

[Folan is not the beverage sponsor of IMNA events,]
True, However how will that work with all those customized formula out there (which is the main reason behind Infinit (at least in my case))?

Cheers,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [tribreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use 6 scoops with a 20OZ/710 ml (Gatorade type) bottle) and I do not find it @ all syrupy at all.

Cheers,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so do you just take in the infinit bottles and water...or just the infinite and nothing else??
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [reblAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you are asking, but the Infinit is mixed with water in a bottle. If you are asking if I supplement with water off the course, the answer would be no, since I have a very low sweat rate. If I need more liquid, I would go with Gatorade off the course versus plain water as Gatorade has calories and sodium (albeit less calories per mL compared to my mix). In fact, I have more of the opposite problem. Since my sweat rate is low, if the weather is cool, then I would end up supplementing with solids off the course, so that I can get enough calories without taking in too much liquid.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
basically I was curious if the 4 bottles of infinit alone would be enough for hydration needs over an ironman. I understand that it contains the calories...but for a big sweater like me, I'm guessing I'd need more fluids. And since the infinit has all the calories, I'd think any additional fluids would be in the form of water??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: Infinit & racing
I use only Infinit on the bike in any distance race, including IM. I agree that it is always best to practice with something else as well. If you lose the nutrition somewhere, you need to be able to digest gels or powerbar or gatorade if the need be.
In Lake Placid I plan on using 2000 cal of Infinit on the bike. I guess we have the same plan! simple is good - thats what i love best about Infinit. No need for salt tablets, bars, gels.. keep it as simple as possible. Sometimes my brain does not fire at 100% when I'm in a race..

about the flavor. I order my mix with the flavor all the way low, then I add flavor crystals (like the ones you add to water) as per Folan reccomendation. What i like best about this is that i'll have different flavors in each bottle so that i don't get sick of the taste. For me .. if i go the g'ade route I get soo sick of the taste after a few hrs, but if i have 1 bottle berry, 1 iced tea, 1 banana-strawberry .. mmmmmm good stuff.

ps.. About the price - add up what you spend on a per calorie basis on bars, gels, and salt tabs for your ride. Its actually pretty reasonable. Sure its more than other powder mix but then you have to buy all the supplementary stuff.

So count me in the Infinit fan club.

http://j-motrilife.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info and invite of ?????. So you mix 6 scoops in 1 bottle? is that why you have the protein low? why the sodium if you don't sweat much? I guess with a low sweat rate you can go without all the water.
One other question-ALL my bottles freeze when I ski-why? and it is not cold here! thanks for taking the time to share this.
ALSO, tell the INFINIT folks thanks for setting up the EU. My husband is happy not to have to lug all those jugs thru security.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mix your bottles with hot water for XC skiing? This will add ~60-90 min of extra non frozen life to your bottles. Also if it is below minus 10 tuck the top of your bottle holder (or if you can the whole bottle holder) under your jacket or vest and you should be good for 4 hours...and usually in 4 hours, you should be out of fluid or close to bonking, so the freezing of your fluid is not an issue. Hope this helps.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later: my thoughts on Infinit [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man crush...thanks Dev.

We look hard at feedback from everyone. Price...well not much we can do there. We make every order by hand. I do think, if you price us compared to drink + gels + electrolytes we are very competitive. Brings to mind one of my favorite lines from the Goodfather, "after all, we are not communists". :)

Seriously, we pay attention to feedback, that is the big reason we now offer single serving packets for your custom mix.

I am on vacation this week. But will check back from time to time. Thanks guys!!!!

Folan

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks, will try hot water and you're right, it's the tip that freezes. But I can't put it under my jacket as I will look like an old lady with her coat hanging out of the car-thank you very much!
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later: my thoughts on Infinit [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

1. Folan is not the beverage sponsor of IMNA events, so I still have to stay accustomed to consuming Gatorade to supplement my Infinit in case I lose my custom nutrition on course

This, seems to me, to be one possible reason to get NeverReach. NR will hold enough fluid for about a 1/2 IM bike leg without even needing to slow down at an aid station (at least to get fluid). You could put replacement Infinit (or anything else you like) in your special needs bag, refill the container at the 1/2 way of the bike and you have pretty much what you are used to, at least until you hit the run.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using a custom blend similar to the Ironman blend. I started using it about 1 month before 2007 Eagleman HIM The change was a bit risky but I felt a month was enough time to get in a few workouts and test it before the race. I had no problems adjusting to the product and I love the fact that I don't feel hungry when racing. I always felt hungry with other products and never found anything that would take care of this.

From an electrolyte perspective the product had more than enough for me. Kept my legs from cramping. Previously when I only took electrolyte pills I would sometimes cramp up pretty bad in my legs. No cramping with this product.

Eagleman HIM Nutrition
-I drank one bottle pre-race before the swim.
-Brought two bottles with me on the bike in addition to one bottle of water. All the nutrition I needed. (1 Bottle = ~300 Calories)
-Had an additional bottle in T2 waiting when I got off the bike. Took a few big swigs and was off running. Pretty much only needed water on the run.

Personally, I think the product is great and I am glad I found it. Price is not an issue for me, never has been if the product meets or exceeds what I need from it. The only thing I don't like is the foaming factor. Not a problem if you get your bottles ready the night before a big race. But when I just want to go out for a ride I have a problem with the foam.

Team Zoot Northeast
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [tribreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the taste of the fluid replacement, but the recovery drink is vile. I bought a small container and have yet to finish it because the taste is so bad. Powerbar's recovery drink is much better.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later my thoughts on Infinit [cliogrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I NEVER get this comment. People love the taste normally of the recovery. I would be happy to send you another flavor. Just e-mail me and I will take care of it. Tell me the flavor you got and your last name thru PM. Happy to do it.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months Later: my thoughts on Infinit [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that capacity with 2 bottle cages and an aerobottle - no need for a neverreach system. I put water in my aerobottle and one of the cages, then a bottle with 6 scoops of Infinit in the other. That carries me through 3.5 hours easily (unless it's a very hot day). I just need to grab water at the aide station at the halfway point and a second Infinit bottle from my special needs.

I don't know how Dev does high concentrate Infinit without taking water too. I always chase my Infinit with water.
Quote Reply

Prev Next