Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

650c bikes/frames
Quote | Reply
I have always rode a Quintana Roo 55cm 650c wheel bike. Why have bike companies quit making the

650c frame in anything except 51c and smaller.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [qrguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the same reason Cervelo went to 700c on all but it's smallest bikes. People just weren't buying 650c any more. Seems the 650 wheel is out of fashion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sucks. Huh? You can still find a handful on Ebay sold new in the box from ABG's Pre-Owned Bikes Ebay store, but that's about it.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a guy named cerveloguy you would think you would know the real reason:

http://cervelo.com/tech/qa/Q-A168.html

integrated headsets.

I see waaay too many people would should be on 650c bikes, riding too big 700c bikes. If you under 5'7"....
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'11" and still feel like a 650c bike is the right fit for me in a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's quite possible.

Anyone under 5' 7" seems to be about right though.
I know a 5' 5" pro woman who has a pretty good position on a 700c bike though... so.. it all depends.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm 5'10" and ride a 650c Felt. Don't care for 700c bikes. Never riden one I liked as much as a 650c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some guy told me I was too big ( I'm 5'7") to be riding on 650s. I told him my bike is quite comfy thanks for the unsolicited opinion. I ride a cannandlae ms2000.......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.. but what do you do when you go to buy a new bike? this sucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are still some options out there. I know that the P3 (not SL or C) still has 650c frames in many sizes. I think Titanflex has a model out there in "medium" that uses 650c wheels. I'm sure there are a bunch of others, but they are (unfortunately) getting harder and harder to find.

Sucks for those of us that have money invested into 650c wheelsets.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems kind of ironic that not even Quintana Roo makes a steep angled 650c frame for riders larger than the average jockey.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KEJ,

if you're too big for a 650 than i must look like a clown. i'm 5'11" and quite happy on my 650 ms2000. i've never ridden a 700 to compare however.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the same height as you and my 2002 MS2000 with 700c wheels was nightmarishly painful after 2 hours of riding while my 2003 650c Kilo feels great until hours 5 and 6.
Last edited by: Bucky: Jun 15, 05 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can get a cervelo P3 or P2K 650c @ 54cm.
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody has an opinion I guess. But why does a complete stranger feel the need to tell me I need a bike with bigger wheels? I find that annoying....kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/2005/P3.html#Geometry

P3's you should be able to. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Cervelo dropped the P3 out of the picture and kept just the SL and C models next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends on your body make-up (torso length, leg length, etc.) and how low you want to go. I'm 5' 8" and cannot get low enough on a 700c frame. Getting low is directly related to the size of the wheel, your inseam, your torso length, etc. It's all related. You can't just pinpoint it to one thing and say a 5' 8" build should be on a 700c frame. That's just invalid. We are not robots with the exact same body measurements and we also differ in flexibility.

~ AB ~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about Aegis they have 650 and allso Javelin
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a 650 wheeled bike and am 6 ft. tall. The bike fits me well and is comfortable. I've always loved the look of the Kestrel KM40 and Slowman writes about the new airfoil vs. Kuota in this months Inside Triathlon. The KM40 was listed as a 56cm frame but is probably a little too big for me and Slowman indicated that it fit him well. I never thought that the Kestrel looked like a "clown bike" but was instead a work of art on wheels. If they had only built one a little smaller (not a lot smaller like the 52) ........
Quote Reply
Re: 650c bikes/frames [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

the KM40 is one smoking hot mo-chine! that thing is just badass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats exactly the bike that I ride, Cervelo P3 650 wheels. So unless it was discontinued(I surley hope not Gerard), then I can highly recommend it. I will never ride those big wheel bike again. Been on 650's ever since Dan invented them in the 80"s, and they are just plain faster. Funny about trends though, the masses are trading them in these days it seems. Gotta go watch a movie on my Beta max now.....
Quote Reply