Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5 min "workout" at work
Quote | Reply
Fellows,

at work I need to read a lot. Like scientific literature. Sitting on my butt for a long time plus lack of sleep plus fatigue from training makes me quite sleepy and I lose track of the stuff that I am reading.

Lately, I have fought off sleep by getting up and walking around for a few steps. It helped me to bring my circulation back on track and actually works quite well. Now, I am thinking about to go even one step further and incorporate some strength training.

What do slowtwitch people think? Am I crazy? Are you guys doing it as well? How should I spend a 5 min break?

Just thinking out loud: 15 min of strength training per day 5 days a week would make 1h15 of strength training. That's an hour of "free training" - am I wrong?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Uli

PS: I could do all my exercises in private. No need to expose myself as the office weirdo - not that I heaven't already done that by being me ;-)
Last edited by: uw234: Feb 18, 18 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: 5 min "workout" at work ...help me not to fall asleep [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At a former job I had some semblance of privacy and would do some brief yoga or lunges mid day to work out inflexibility from sitting all day. The biggest issue I ran into was finding exercises that I could do in professional attire.

Now I live in cube world and the best I can come up with is jogging up the stairs after lunch, and even then I'm nervous I'll round a flight of stairs and bump into someone I'd prefer to impress.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 min "workout" at work [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spend a lot of time on conference calls at work. Probably 2-3 hours per day. I always use a headset, close my door, and get on the floor and do light stretching and yoga-ish as well as foam rolling. I feel it helps me keep my body (especially the legs) loose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who went for a long time before having my sleep issues officially diagnosed I'd recommend taking care of the why you are sleeping deprived first. While doing something quick to keep your mind sharp is fine it's not going to help with the drowsiness overall.

Yes, I do sometimes pace around while reading something too (the most boring are terms and conditions for new contracts). But that's because now my mind tends to wander when the literature or document isn't very engaging and not due to drowsiness anymore. Once I got my sleep issues sorted out which caused perpetual lack of sleep due to it before. It's better for your overall health to cut out a little training to get the right amount of sleep for your body.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 min "workout" at work [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
As someone who went for a long time before having my sleep issues officially diagnosed I'd recommend taking care of the why you are sleeping deprived first. While doing something quick to keep your mind sharp is fine it's not going to help with the drowsiness overall.

Yes, I do sometimes pace around while reading something too (the most boring are terms and conditions for new contracts). But that's because now my mind tends to wander when the literature or document isn't very engaging and not due to drowsiness anymore. Once I got my sleep issues sorted out which caused perpetual lack of sleep due to it before. It's better for your overall health to cut out a little training to get the right amount of sleep for your body.

Thanks for your reply. Good point. It is important to also focus on quality sleep. My kids are still little and when you need to get up during the night sometimes there is just no way to get enough sleep.

Apart from that, standing up more often has done wonders to my efficiency at work. If I can get some training in on top would be awesome.
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents -

Get a foam roller, large massage ball (for the psoas), small ball (for your feet and piriformis) and keep them at work. Every hour or so, give them a whirl. Also, throw in some planks, glute stretches, yoga poses and even sit ups and push ups.

Sitting is not good for us. Slouching is doubly bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kettlebells
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it. I have a Vew-Doo balance board, some elastic tubing and adjustable dumbbells in my office.

Its easy to add some single leg focused exercises (lunges, step ups, etc.), a few deep squats with weight held at your chest, maybe a few 1 arm presses, etc., everyday.

The balance board is great for conference calls and seems to involve all sorts of postural muscles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 minutes of plank variations. Do some pushups. Lunges. Squats. Stretches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uw234 wrote:
Fellows,

at work I need to read a lot. Like scientific literature. Sitting on my butt for a long time plus lack of sleep plus fatigue from training makes me quite sleepy and I lose track of the stuff that I am reading.

Lately, I have fought off sleep by getting up and walking around for a few steps. It helped me to bring my circulation back on track and actually works quite well. Now, I am thinking about to go even one step further and incorporate some strength training.

What do slowtwitch people think? Am I crazy? Are you guys doing it as well? How should I spend a 5 min break?

Just thinking out loud: 15 min of strength training per day 5 days a week would make 1h15 of strength training. That's an hour of "free training" - am I wrong?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Uli

PS: I could do all my exercises in private. No need to expose myself as the office weirdo - not that I heaven't already done that by being me ;-)

Short on time, so keep in super simple.

Do the following basic movement patterns

Squat
Hinge
Push
Pull
Lunge
Carry

Bodyweight can be sufficient if you are creative, maybe bring in some resistance bands, or get creative with what you have around you.

But off the categories of movements above you can have a different short circuit every single day. You just need to be creative, find ways to challenge yourself, and add load progressively.

For example.

Pushups 3x10 building up to 20 over time. Then reset and elevate your legs, or hands for deeper range of motion.

Squatting add more load, or change where you hold the load.

Is this perfect? Absolutely not. But I would with confidence say this is probably best from a time efficiency standpoint as well as moving, loading all major muscle groups, and combating yourself from being desk jockey.
Quote Reply