Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
5 Days with Dan Empfield aka Slowman
Quote | Reply
Dan recently posted the article "Scott Plasma Premium: From Thought to Reality". I'm the test subject in the article. "Very long story short, as good as she is in running (3-flat open marathon) is as bad as she is in cycling." .. true, so true!

If anyone is interested in reading about it from an athlete's perspective....here ya go:
http://why-i-run.blogspot.com/...th-dan-empfield.html

PS I CANNOT believe I started a thread. Be kind!

~Sika
Quote Reply
Re: 5 Days with Dan Empfield aka Slowman [Female AGr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thread and great read!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting read. Good luck and share your expanded knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice read, thanks for sharing!

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Female AGr wrote:
Dan recently posted the article "Scott Plasma Premium: From Thought to Reality". I'm the test subject in the article. "Very long story short, as good as she is in running (3-flat open marathon) is as bad as she is in cycling." .. true, so true!

If anyone is interested in reading about it from an athlete's perspective....here ya go:

~Sika

Since I am pretty much the same, and get attacked anything I start a tread, or respond to stuff like this, I get attacked. I bet you will not though. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: 5 Days with Dan Empfield aka Slowman [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Female AGr wrote:

~Sika

Since I am pretty much the same, and get attacked anything I start a tread, or respond to stuff like this, I get attacked. I bet you will not though. :)

I had anxiety as I pressed the "Post" button LOL. It's all good though. I need to learn how to toughen up ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to get more details on your journey. I am not as good of a runner as you, but close enough, and I suck at the bike as bad as you.
I started a thread asking about ideas since my season is over.

there is LOTS of folks who think they know the answer. And since there are lots of different answers, it is clear there is no one way to do things, IMO.

And even though bike fit would seem to have some impacts, is it truely the right number 1 item?

When I ask folks why they cannot run, they usually say it is too hard and they were not born with the right genetics. But about the bike, they tend not to agree these
same comments might apply to some of use that are poor on the bike.

What I did not see if Dan's article on you is fit having crank lengths being changed.

I also did not see any type of testing done such that you were tested using you past bike, then using your new bike and fit to see if these baseline numbers changed.

So I continue to try and gather inputs from folks, but so many just get so emotional that their way is the only way. Since I talk to lots of top bikers, I am amazed at how many just laugh when I say some say one specific way is the only way to improve.

Let's keep sharing stories since we both are trying to achieve the same goal, be the best on the bike our DNA will allow us to be.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read and very similar to my experience hanging out in February. We went mountain biking, including a road segment on those bikes. Good Lord. SO HARD.

Speaking of - hey, Dan, how's the swim coming along?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be looking to see how your race results (bike split) change. Good luck.

I've been in triathlon on and off for 22 years and have concluded that I just suck on the bike. The one big thing is that I have never had a real bike fit.

I sold my TT bike and just ride a road bike when I race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
It would be interesting to get more details on your journey. I am not as good of a runner as you, but close enough, and I suck at the bike as bad as you.

there is LOTS of folks who think they know the answer. And since there are lots of different answers, it is clear there is no one way to do things, IMO.

And even though bike fit would seem to have some impacts, is it truely the right number 1 item?

When I ask folks why they cannot run, they usually say it is too hard and they were not born with the right genetics. But about the bike, they tend not to agree these

What I did not see if Dan's article on you is fit having crank lengths being changed.

I also did not see any type of testing done such that you were tested using you past bike, then using your new bike and fit to see if these baseline numbers changed.

So I continue to try and gather inputs from folks, but so many just get so emotional that their way is the only way. Since I talk to lots of top bikers, I am amazed at how many just laugh when I say some say one specific way is the only way to improve.

Let's keep sharing stories since we both are trying to achieve the same goal, be the best on the bike our DNA will allow us to be.

Actually, you don't suck on the bike as much as she does (relative to your run, that is). She had a HUGE gap in run (winning speed) vs her bike (BOMOP speed).

Your bike isn't as strong as your run but it's still roughly FOP (top 20%, if not higher) if I recall correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Female AGr wrote:

~Sika

Well done making a thread that had NOTHING to do with you, about you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i knew what sika's bike position was because i saw pics of both her position on the bike and i saw the numbers from her most recent bike fit session she had back east.

you can also see her bike position, current to about 6 months ago, in a pic in this article. i was pretty confident she would be better off if the entire position was pushed forward and if the front end was lowered. i don't remember the specs from the bike in the trainerroad article, but this new plasma is set up considerably differently.

she was riding 170mm cranks and she still is. i don't see any reason to change those for her. her problems were positional; technique; tactics; confidence; and training (somewhat). fortunately, cycling is learned. swimming is also learned by not so easily later in life. running is not something you learn; you either have it or you don't. if you're going to be bad at something in triathlon, cycling is the thing to be bad at since it's fairly easily learned or fixed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 5 Days with Dan Empfield aka Slowman [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Actually, you don't suck on the bike as much as she does"

Geez LMAO!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Female AGr wrote:

Geez LMAO!!!!!

Hah LOL. Didn't mean to be a meanie.

But you gotta admit, if your like #1 far and away on the women's run but BOMOP on the bike, your run >>>>> bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Female AGr wrote:

Geez LMAO!!!!!

Hah LOL. Didn't mean to be a meanie.

But you gotta admit, if your like #1 far and away on the women's run but BOMOP on the bike, your run >>>>> bike!

It's ok to be a meanie if it's true lol. The gap between my bike and run is mind blowing. I think I'm getting closer to this no longer being the case. I'll get a chance to test it out at 70.3 Worlds and again at 70.3 North Carolina. Hopefully it will be more like run > bike and less like run >>>>> bike :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read and congrats on conquering your fears Sika!! Good luck at Worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on Sika!!! Major breakthroughs!!

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting and good luck at Worlds. I agree completely with Dan, the bike is the easiest to learn. So hopefully you realize all those gains that are to be had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read. I miss Xantusia.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article!! I have also cussed out slowman on a ride up a hill - more than once actually.

The womens would love to have you join us at our annual ST womens camp at Xantusia!!

Good luck in Chatt. Lookout will be fine after riding around Valyermo.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great read and thanks for posting. I hope you have an awesome race in Chattanooga and if I can find you in the crowd I'll cheer you on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never comment on here but wanted to say I loved your article! I am fair garbage on the bike (perhaps even more frustrating as I actually love cycling!), so it was inspiring to hear how you conquered your fears. Best of luck at Chattanooga!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Female AGr wrote:

~Sika

Very glad you did. I'm sure lots of people here who follow the races will be looking out for you at Chattanooga. Good luck in that race and already looking forward to your race report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Actually, you don't suck on the bike as much as she does (relative to your run, that is). She had a HUGE gap in run (winning speed) vs her bike (BOMOP speed).

Your bike isn't as strong as your run but it's still roughly FOP (top 20%, if not higher) if I recall correctly.

True compared to overall USAT athletes. Compared to the worlds folks, more towards the end. But who cares, having fun

Quote Reply

Prev Next