Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
5'10" 175 - DeSoto t1 sizing help - 4 or 5?
Quote | Reply
I know best policy is to try on but I am doing mail order and not a store even close to me that carries them. Not skinny (obviously) but not heavy, just sort of a more muscular build. I feel like I should be a 4 but everything from the chart points to a 5 potentially...Anyway, anyone who has insight as to how these suits fit and can provide feedback I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Wes
Quote Reply
Re: 5'10" 175 - DeSoto t1 sizing help - 4 or 5? [rinconryder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about the same as you - was a little heavier when I got a T1 (lost 10 lbs of gut). I'm in a 4 top and 5 bottom. I like the fit.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'8" and range from 160 to 170 (currently 168). My build is muscular especially in the legs.
When I first got my T1 in size 4 I thought it was probably to small (arms and legs) but there is no way I would choose a different size. It is a perfect fit for me whether I am leaner or not.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a hair under 6' 2" and at 185, I wore a size 4. The chart had me in a 5, which is what I first ordered. Just did not feel right. The size 4 is "short" on my arms and a bitch to get on, but, you want it skin tight. The rubber is so flexible, it is not restrictive. I also downsized to a 4 on the SpeedTube and it was the right call.

The 5 felt like it was letting in water. It wasn't really that loose, but, it did not feel right. The 4 feels right in the water.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The T1 is a very substantial suit on the bottom and thin on top. If you go smaller on the bottom you might find it harder to get it on than more traditional wetsuits.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im 5'11,5" and weigh 168 and use size 4 top and size 5 bottom. I use medium trisuits and shorts from desoto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2" and 190-195, happy with a 5, top and bottom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am 6'5, 160 size 4 top, 5 bottoms

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the exact height and weight you are, and i use a 5 top and a 4 bottom usually. But i also sometimes use a 5 bottom too for more rubber and it seems to work just fine. Part of what top you need will be your actual build. I have a swimmers upper body and that puts me right in the middle of a 4 and 5, but no issues with the 5 at all, and it feels better too. The 4 gets on, but does feel tight, and since i have no issues with the 5 i will go with more comfort and more rubber every time..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5-11 and 175lbs

I was 165 lbs when I bought a size 4 bottom and size 4 top which was perfect then

The bottoms are perfect, still

The top seems tight across my shoulders, and of course around my gut where most of the extra weight probably is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6 foot 7 and contacted the DeSoto company before I bought a suit. Calling 858 578-6672 or 1800 453 6673 should get you a rep you can speak to about sizing. Email also works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 6' and 175, I went with the 5 barely over the 4. I thought the 4 was too restrictive.

Edit: I also went with the 5 bib overalls. The bib overall size seems almost irrelevant the way the DeSotos fit. The suit is super-easy to get on and off.
Last edited by: SH: Jul 5, 14 19:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same size as you, had a 5, got a 4----much better.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact them. They will ask you some questions and maybe even request some pics. They will then make a recommendation. After that you have time o try it and return for a different size if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others, contact DeSoto very friendly and helpful.

tel:(858) 578-6672

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jul 5, 14 21:39
Quote Reply
Re: 5'10" 175 - DeSoto t1 sizing help - 4 or 5? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
I agree with the others, contact DeSoto very friendly and helpful.

tel:(858) 578-6672

^^^This.

It's hard to do better on customer service than De Soto.

FWIW, I'm guessing 4&4, based on my T1.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rinconryder wrote:
I know best policy is to try on but I am doing mail order and not a store even close to me that carries them. Not skinny (obviously) but not heavy, just sort of a more muscular build. I feel like I should be a 4 but everything from the chart points to a 5 potentially...Anyway, anyone who has insight as to how these suits fit and can provide feedback I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Wes

I'm 5-11 and 175lbs and use 5s int he bottoms (speedtube and bibs) and 4 on top. 5s will be easier to get on and a little less restrictive but the issue I had with 5 size in top was the looseness in the arms while swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure contact emilio with the measurements and he'll recommend the size. But I'm your height, and about 165-170 and I have a 4 bottom, and 4 and 5 top. 4 top is tight and was recommended but I just didn't like the tight feel so got a 5 also. 4 bottom is tight fit also and was also recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend calling them and talking through your sizing - they are geared up for this approach, unlike bigger companies. I did this from Australia for all DeSoto gear and have never gone wrong. If you do find you choose the wrong size, they will swap ... Can't go wrong.

Mark Pomery
Certified Triathlon Coach (Triathlon Australia)
http://www.swimcyclerunonline.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm 5-9 1/2 and 175 lbs. I emailed Emilio back and forth a bunch before I bought my suit and he was extremely helpful. He recommended a size 4 top and bottom in the First Wave. It fits like a glove. Easy to get on and off once you practice a few times. I think a 5 on me would be too big.

As someone else said.... best thing to do is email Emilio or just contact him on here. De Soto has the best customer service i've ever seen... awesome company to work with.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'10" 175 - DeSoto t1 sizing help - 4 or 5? [jeff.ehret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all the help. I ended up ordering the size 4 in the top and bottom. Normally I would call Desoto but it was a time sensitive thing because I wanted to take advantage of trisports killer deal. Can't wait to try this thing out. Will update the thread with my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all of you who offered your advice. Most of you are correct based on the limited information.

So Rinconryder, you can learn all about the T1 Wetsuit on our website at www.desotosport.com. We also have a T1 Instructional Video for viewing just a few clicks from our homepage. Simply click on T1 Wetsuits, then on Video. Just click on the Play Icon! It is only 6 minutes long and will probably answer a lot of questions for you.

Whether it is a complete T1 Wetsuit combination or a single piece, we want you to know that we take great pride in making sure all our customers are fitted into the correct size. In order to do this it would be most helpful if you would provide us with as much of the following information as you are comfortable providing:

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
CHEST (measured as the largest part of circumference)
WAIST (circumference measured at the belly-button line)
HIPS (circumference measured at the widest point, not just at your hips. typically this will measure just a few inches below your hips bones and around the largest part of the glutes)

Since we do not know what you look like we use all the above information to determine the best size for you. All the above is for fitting purposes only and the information is kept completely confidential.

Though it is not necessary, if you have a low resolution image of yourself from a race or something that would also be helpful. If you prefer not to provide any part of the above information, we will do what we can in recommending a size with whatever information you do give us.

Also any additional information that you know about your body type that you think might be important for me to know. Some memorable, yet helpful ones I have received include:

"I have a long torso"
"I have a bucket like J-LO"
"I have large thighs like a track cyclist"
"I have a classic pear-shape body, but I can't help it."
"I grew up swimming and my shoulders are very broad"
"A lot of my weight is in my beer belly, but I am training to get rid of it"

After getting all this information we will be am happy to give you our opinion of the perfect size combination of Bibjohn, Pullover, Speedtube, and/or Speedvest.

If you are buying a 2014 T1 Wetsuit, which is what we have in stock now in either First Wave, Concept 5, Black Pearl, Espresso, or Speed Collection, we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You buy the suit, you test it out for 15 days from the day you receive it, and if you are not happy with it, we will exchange it for a size that fits better, or we will give you complete refund...your choice...no questions asked. This same guarantee applies if you are buying it from one of our authorized dealers, but the refund is through them.

If you are buying an older model or one of our preowned or demo suits, all sales are final. There are no returns, exchanges, or refunds. There is no warranty with these older models suits either.

If I can answer any other questions for you, please let me know.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have bought most of my T1 wetsuits from Trisports. They are great to work with as well as directly from Desoto.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'10, 178, wearing size 5 bottom and top.
I've recently tried a size 4 top, and while usable, I am much more comfortable in a size 5 top, even with a very small amount of extra material around the armpits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my T1 first wave and concept 5 top, size 4 in both top and bottom. Fits great on dry land. Hoping to take it out for a swim this week.

I'm 5'11, 152 lbs. I've got a cyclist build, skinny upper body and more meat in the legs but still on the leaner side. The legs of the bib are thick so that's where most of my time getting them on was spent. Once the legs portion was on waist up goes on easy and gives me that satisfying tummy tuck like cycling bibs. The top was easy to put on after watching the video from de soto. Big plus for me was keeping downward pressure off my distal collar bone plate.

I'll try to update after a swim.

Post Swim Update:

Fits and works great in the water as well. Good body positioning, and not restrictive in the shoulders. I'm happy.
Last edited by: Raindown: Jul 9, 14 8:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next