Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

50% chance of rain for race tomorrow. Is weatherproofing etc needed?
Quote | Reply
I know I know, I sound like a chump asking it but I train exclusively out of the rain b/c I like to keep my bike pristine and I only have one of them. Well, it turns out that my race tomorrow is 50% chance of rain tapering off by the end of the event.

1- Since water likes to go into all the tight spots...Is there a way to 'weatherproof' the bike a little?...at the hubs or any other spot? Or does it matter?
2- Advice in riding/running in rain? Im sure there will be some spills tomorrow...

Basically, what should I prep for?

JF
Quote Reply
Re: 50% chance of rain for race tomorrow. Is weatherproofing etc needed? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your bike will be fine. Water won't hurt it. Just allow a bit more room to slow down your bike because braking is a bit weaker. Don't ride or run on the painted lines of the road especially if turning. If you have some water proof jackets etc wear it if you want if it is cold. It will help but in the end you will end up with water in places you don't want but you will survive. If not HTFU
Quote Reply
Re: 50% chance of rain for race tomorrow. Is weatherproofing etc needed? [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not worried about me at all in regards to the elements.

Just the mechanicals is what got me bothered...Im sure it will be fine as well.I was just checking what others did to the bike. Asking around locally, sounds like not much. But I think Im going to spritz a little extra lube on the hubs anyway...

JF
Quote Reply
Re: 50% chance of rain for race tomorrow. Is weatherproofing etc needed? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly won't hurt to do it and if it makes you feel better, the better you feel the better a chance for a good race so do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What race, Silverman?

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike will be fine. Just drop the tire psi by 5 due to the wet roads, and after the race remove the seatpost, flip the bike upside down and let any water that got in the frame drain out of the seat tube.

Get some garbage bags. Put your transition bag in one to keep it dry. Put your running socks/shoes in one so they aren't soaked in T2.

When you get home, wipe down the bike and relube the drivetrain.

See #9: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: 50% chance of rain for race tomorrow. Is weatherproofing etc needed? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, nothing big. Newport Beach sprint. The weather is supposed to be at its peak rain from 6-10am. Then tapers off significantly. Weird how that seems to work out sometimes...

Thanks for tips posters...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun race. Ride safe and good luck!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
I know I know, I sound like a chump asking it but I train exclusively out of the rain b/c I like to keep my bike pristine and I only have one of them. Well, it turns out that my race tomorrow is 50% chance of rain tapering off by the end of the event.

1- Since water likes to go into all the tight spots...Is there a way to 'weatherproof' the bike a little?...at the hubs or any other spot? Or does it matter?
2- Advice in riding/running in rain? Im sure there will be some spills tomorrow...

Basically, what should I prep for?

JF

As I'm assuming you have very little riding in the rain...as someone else said, watch out for the white lines on the road.

In my mind, a dirty bike is a badge of honor.

Rule #9:

If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Embrace it. And then obsess over cleaning it.
Last edited by: Dan Funk: Oct 4, 15 6:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said - drop the tire psi a bit. If you normally run a dry lube, and it's really going to be dumping down, you might want to put some wet lube on the chain before.

Get on the brakes a bit earlier than normal to dry the rims off first. Avoid as best as you can any painted lines on the road. They are MUCH more slippery than the wet pavement.

Going straight ahead, on wet pavement, bikes handle pretty well.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody. Had a pretty good race and podiumed . Light rain but there were a few nasty spills.

Now. Any other advice to get all the grime and dry it off. Any need to break the bike down component wise....cranks off etc?
Quote Reply
Re: 50% chance of rain for race tomorrow. Is weatherproofing etc needed? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or they're English
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good thing you don't do cyclocross
Quote Reply
Re: 50% chance of rain for race tomorrow. Is weatherproofing etc needed? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha...no doubt.
Just trying to keep the goods running for as long as possible.
Quote Reply