Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

4iii vs stages power meter
Quote | Reply
anybody have experience with both these power meters for a comparison? I know some have issues with dropouts with stages. I have stages on my tri bike but was considering a power meter one of my other bikes and am considering 4iii. Or I'll just go with another stages. I'm okay with the left only power.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii vs stages power meter [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check DC Rainmaker. I think 4iii is now shipping or is soon to be shipping their dual sided power meter which isn't much more than a new Stages.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. Using the Stages in my TT and the 4iiii Precision in my road. Had a lot of headaches with stages in the past, the unit was then replaced by a newer model and now the only "problem" I have is that I need a new battery every two weeks. I mean, it works well in terms of reporting power, cadence, etc... but I need to live with the unit draining energy from the battery constantly. I bought the 4iiii a couple of months ago for my new road bike, works ok as well and I didn't have to replace the battery yet. For me, 4iiii was cheaper and brought less headaches.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii vs stages power meter [cristianoag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My N=1 for Stages echoes this:

The cycling club I'm part of has had a team deal with Stages for the better part of 2 years now, I'd say a good 20 people have Stages power meters. The majority have had dropout, connection, and battery issues both indoors and outdoors, I constantly hear about the complaints on club rides. Those who have had problems have sent the units back to Stages to get them fixed/replaced, and I'm not sure that has helped with the issues since Strava titles still complain of dropout/non-functioning power meters.

Perhaps we should move to 4iii for our next team deal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had dropouts with my Stages gen 1. Didn't have a leak, either. Until I did. They replaced it under warranty. That one died after a few months. Replaced under warranty. That one ate through batteries in 3 days. Replaced under warranty. Sold that replacement.

Just ordered a Praxis crank with 4iiii today. We'll see.

I have 2 Powertap G3s and 1 GS. All function with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sidestepping left-only issues for a second....

Both give very accurate left-only numbers. Very little debate there honestly. There is quite a history of various Stages items, however, many of them have been resolved (albeit at various points along the way). For example, dropouts was mostly solved last April with a firmware update. And door leakage issues (which killed units) was also largely solved with various mechanical changes along the way. I do think there's probably still room for improvement on the Stages door, but, at least their customer service seems to solve most peoples issues.

Ultimately, I think the obvious reason to go with 4iiii is simply if you plan to upgrade to a dual system some day, you can do that (in theory, right now it's only one crankset type). On the flip side, the obvious reason to go with Stages is if you have a specific crank that they support and 4iiii doesn't.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii vs stages power meter [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha yes. I have a stages on my triathlon bike so I'm okay with the left only limitations. I haven't had a huge issue with dropouts. But you make a good point about 4iii if I ever wish to switch to dual sided. That may just sway me since price point for the crankarm I need is same for stages and 4iii
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many people with Stages haven't updated their firmware. They've released firmware updates on a regular basis, resolving most of the issues,
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii vs stages power meter [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I wonder how many people with Stages haven't updated their firmware. They've released firmware updates on a regular basis, resolving most of the issues,

That's a good point. I've update mine a couple times but should probably check again
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii vs stages power meter [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slightly off topic question. Do you happen to know how much of an effect tightening the left crank arm power meter to the proper torque would have, if any, on the power readings? With my stages power meter my readings are always lower compared to computrainer readings at a cycling class I go to once a week and different if I'm comparing them to my home tacx vortex smart trainer. I did just double check yesterday and adjusted the crank arm so I have the correct torque settings. I know there are some other variables involved with trainers but just was curious about the effect torque would have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 4iiii arrived today so I can't comment on it's performance yet (will report back). I went this route because DCR (thanks by the way) reviewed them favourably , left side only limitations accepted, they are cheaper and 4iiii have already demonstrated an upgrade path to dual sided when funds allow.

The internet is loaded with anti-Stages sentiment but my brother in law bought one last season and has had no problems, same for my coach. However they still haven't released a dual sided option and I couldn't see what the extra outlay resulted in other than finding Team Sky.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii vs stages power meter [swimgeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimgeek wrote:
My 4iiii arrived today so I can't comment on it's performance yet (will report back). I went this route because DCR (thanks by the way) reviewed them favourably , left side only limitations accepted, they are cheaper and 4iiii have already demonstrated an upgrade path to dual sided when funds allow.

The internet is loaded with anti-Stages sentiment but my brother in law bought one last season and has had no problems, same for my coach. However they still haven't released a dual sided option and I couldn't see what the extra outlay resulted in other than finding Team Sky.

I can't say I've had major problems with stages but I ordered 4iii for my other bike since I would like the option of dual sided in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the 4iii from the beginning. Works very well for one sided power and I've never had drops. Easy to use the phone app or my Garmin to see remaining battery life. Battery last and its easy and cheap to replace 2032

However, it does seem inconsistent with my decade old Computrainer. The 4iiii seems about 30-40 watts different than the CT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone tell me how well the 4iii works with an Edge 500. Some people say that Stages don't really work well with an Edge 500 Unit (i.e. lots of drop outs). Has anyone experienced such issues yet?
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii vs stages power meter [alexholbrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a left sided 4iiii with a garmin edge 500 for about a year and it has worked really well. I can't say I've really experienced any issues at all!
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii vs stages power meter [tomjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll be purchasing one then.
Quote Reply