Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

40 Kona slots new standard?
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this have already been posted, but looking through the races for next year it looks like 40 Kona slots will be the 2016 standard instead of the usual 50? Probably because of so many new races popping up. Guess I need to up my winter training a bit haha.

Good luck to all the 70.3 Worlds
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [KnudsenDenmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For North America it looks like Q races for 2015 still have 50 except the two Mexican races. For next year Texas has 75, and Whistler has 50 but the rest have 40.

At 40 slots it is going to get real, real hard to qualify. What's that maybe 4 slots for the largest AG??? Yikes! For females it's going to be win... maybe second... or nothing.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing new! That's the way it's been for me since my 1st IM @ 1993. I was fortunate enough to win maybe second multiple times.

So are they dropping age groups when going from 50 to 40
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Nothing new! That's the way it's been for me since my 1st IM @ 1993. I was fortunate enough to win maybe second multiple times.

Nope. Still the potential for 26 automatic slots if there's at least one starter and finisher in an AG. Obviously, that never happens but it could.

What it does is statistically make it even more unfair for the four or five male AG's that make up 2/3 of the field. They won't be getting 2/3 of the slots. <---------- not that they received a proportionate number before but now this skews way more disproportionately towards the females.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Aug 30, 15 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
BarbBikeTechie wrote:

Nope. Still the potential for 26 automatic slots if there's at least one starter and finisher in an AG. Obviously, that never happens but it could.

What it does is statistically make it even more unfair for the four or five male AG's that make up 2/3 of the field. They won't be getting 2/3 of the slots. <---------- not that they received a proportionate number before but now this skews way more disproportionately towards the females.
Maybe we should start a "middle-aged men to Kona" advocacy group for fair treatment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
europe is nice in the summer and at least one slot at Nice in 25-29 or 30-34 dropped more than 21 places - europeans, apparently, don't take up the HA opportunity quite as much - possibly for cost reasons and I'm not sure how much more travelling from NY to CA versus NY to Frankfurt or Nice would be but it might be worthwhile for someone motivated with cash
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one thing left to do.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hDl6OALv4
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#m30-45slotsmatter

spudone wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
BarbBikeTechie wrote:

Maybe we should start a "middle-aged men to Kona" advocacy group for fair treatment.
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
europe is nice in the summer and at least one slot at Nice in 25-29 or 30-34 dropped more than 21 places - europeans, apparently, don't take up the HA opportunity quite as much - possibly for cost reasons and I'm not sure how much more travelling from NY to CA versus NY to Frankfurt or Nice would be but it might be worthwhile for someone motivated with cash

What? Nice slots rolling? I thought 25-29 would roll absolutely nowhere in the European races :O
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KnudsenDenmark wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

What? Nice slots rolling? I thought 25-29 would roll absolutely nowhere in the European races :O

Very, very rare that a slot in europe rolls that much, sure it happens now & again (Frankfurt 45-49 had a silly roll for final place) certainly not enough however for anyone to even consider it as a strategy, that'd be insane & a bit of a silly suggestion to be fair...
OK, agree that the cost of travelling from europe to kona is prohibitive but always loads willing to take up the slots; what the cost does is limit the amount of fast euro guys that can repeatedly do Kona every year unlike many US based athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
#m30-45slotsmatter

spudone wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
BarbBikeTechie wrote:

Given that the female pro's are making lots of demands, this suggestion makes a lot of sense.
Females make up only 20% of the average field so maybe they should only get 20% of the slots.
Makes sense
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [snowie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked my AG (M60-64) for IMLP, no I didn't race. 38 started
I also checked F60-64, 9 starters. One KQ for each group.

So I agree if you're middle aged athlete getting a KQ slot is tough.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
For North America it looks like Q races for 2015 still have 50 except the two Mexican races. For next year Texas has 75, and Whistler has 50 but the rest have 40.

At 40 slots it is going to get real, real hard to qualify. What's that maybe 4 slots for the largest AG??? Yikes! For females it's going to be win... maybe second... or nothing.

Are you sure 2016 Whistler will have 50 slots? Website only says that 2015 race will have 50, nothing about 2016. I asked on their FB page, but got no response.
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [snowie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why don't they!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Are you sure 2016 Whistler will have 50 slots? Website only says that 2015 race will have 50, nothing about 2016. I asked on their FB page, but got no response.

Good point. I just saw 50 and assumed after a month they had updated their website to reflect 2016. Odds are it will have 40 then.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Aug 30, 15 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump,

Anyone have any idea where the spots are going, IE more 100 spot championship races etc?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the new Ironman races
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some new races yes, but not enough to warrant a 20% reduction across (most) others. I haven't gone through all of them to see increase/decrease in allocation.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: 40 Kona slots new standard? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Some new races yes, but not enough to warrant a 20% reduction across (most) others. I haven't gone through all of them to see increase/decrease in allocation.

Maurice

There's 15 IM races in North America (not counting Kona). IMTX maintained the same slots at 75. Looks like the rest lost 10. So that's 140 slots but you can pretty much count out IMLT as I'm not sure there's anyone who believes that race is coming back. So there's 180 slots not returning to current N.A. IM races. (50 IMLT and 130 from the other 13).

I'm not sure what the numbers look like in South America, Europe or Asia/Pacific. Looks like 40 at many of those races too from just a very, very quick review.

So there's 40 non-Kona IM races. I know the Championship races will retain their slots but looks like the rest are losing 10. So that's 35 races losing 10 slots. Looks like IM is clearing up 350 slots. Sounds like 8 new races and 30 slots to the female pros.

Quote Reply