Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
4-Year Doping ban for Testosterone for former Pro => Age Grouper & IMTX Kona Qualifier
Quote | Reply
Good to see a 4-year ban for this former pro and now age-grouper and IMTX Kona Qualifier. Very sad to see this. Doesn't give me a lot of faith in some of my peers to do the right thing. I raced with Jason quite a few times. Never lost a paycheck to him I don't think.

http://m.ironman.com/...al%209%2028%2016.pdf

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 4-Year Doping ban for Testosterone for former Pro => Age Grouper & IMTX Kona Qualifier [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good, probably unfortunate for whoever he took a spot from.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 4-Year Doping ban for Testosterone for former Pro => Age Grouper & IMTX Kona Qualifier [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently the status of his TUE was changed.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Sep 29, 16 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you expect? There's a doping clinic across the street from the IMTX transition area.
Quote Reply
Re: 4-Year Doping ban for Testosterone for former Pro => Age Grouper & IMTX Kona Qualifier [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, to the second question.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Sep 29, 16 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a good start, but it should be lifetime ban.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BOOM!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 4-Year Doping ban for Testosterone for former Pro => Age Grouper & IMTX Kona Qualifier [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to know him personally back in 2011 or 2012. We are currently FB friends (although we've had no contact since those aforementioned years). Based on vicarious information, it sounds like he did have a legitimate TUE at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I used to know him personally back in 2011 or 2012. We are currently FB friends (although we've had no contact since those aforementioned years). Based on vicarious information, it sounds like he did have a legitimate TUE at some point.

Curious how he got a TUE in the first pace since we always hear that they don't give them out. Then if it was revoked why he kept taking it and racing. No doubt many will disagree with him ever taking T regardless of TUE or not, myself included.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off topic, but whoa, there were three Jason Smiths at IMTX this year?? That seems unlikely...

tweets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

Until paper work or evidence showing that to be the case is made available, I would say that is a convenient excuse and probably not true.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's good to see the ban but, as a somewhat fast short course age grouper who hopes to KQ some day, this is very discouraging. To work your ass off and have someone potentially take a KQ spot because they doped just... sucks. If it were your livelihood it would be even worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was generally under the impression that certain medical conditions, treated with hormone therapy, could be granted TUEs.

Either way, I don't know the entirety of the circumstances and regardless he failed an in competition test. But if he did have the medical condition I've been told I would - no question - seek hormone therapy if that was an option and I needed the hormone for certain things.

I probably wouldn't keep doing triathlon though, because I don't enjoy it enough to go through those kinds of hoops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I was generally under the impression that certain medical conditions, treated with hormone therapy, could be granted TUEs.

Either way, I don't know the entirety of the circumstances and regardless he failed an in competition test. But if he did have the medical condition I've been told I would - no question - seek hormone therapy if that was an option and I needed the hormone for certain things.

I probably wouldn't keep doing triathlon though, because I don't enjoy it enough to go through those kinds of hoops.

Not sure what the condition is. I would assume you mean low-sex drive and ED. If that is the case I have talked to quite a number of athletes over the years who have complained about the same thing. I have personally suspected that a few of those athletes are also on T.

Regular people think I am insane to sleep 12 hours a day. There is a reason I sleep 12 hours a day. As athletes we are incredibly hard on ourselves and the typical athlete, age-grouper to pro, do not give nearly enough thought to recovery.

Quote Reply
Re: 4-Year Doping ban for Testosterone for former Pro => Age Grouper & IMTX Kona Qualifier [siegfried08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
siegfried08 wrote:
Off topic, but whoa, there were three Jason Smiths at IMTX this year?? That seems unlikely...

Smith or Johnson has to be one of the most common last names. David or John have to be more popular than Jason but I am sure Jason is up there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

Highly unlikely.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Especially if they were born around 80-81. I named my first son Jason. I thought it was pretty unique. I learned differently when I would yell for him at a park or something and half-dozen kids his age would turn their head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

I believe some athletes mix up what is a TUE and what is a MD prescription.
As far as I know, you will never get a TUE for low T.

Some athletes will justify their doping since they got a prescription from a MD. But it is still doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did he used to live in the midwest? May be an old teammate.....crazy talented runner!

James Haycraft wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: 4-Year Doping ban for Testosterone for former Pro => Age Grouper & IMTX Kona Qualifier [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

I believe some athletes mix up what is a TUE and what is a MD prescription.
As far as I know, you will never get a TUE for low T.

Some athletes will justify their doping since they got a prescription from a MD. But it is still doping.

Guessing it is not the case for someone this young, but if you lost both testicles to testicular cancer, or had them removed for the treatment of prostate cancer (again, highly unlikely in someone this young), I can then see a TUE being granted for low T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do allow for people to take a banned substance and still race if the person discloses it and states they don't want to be eligible for awards? I know it would be a rare case but I think of it like age groupers who wear wetsuits when it's above 78? and just start at the back and aren't eligible for awards. So if a person is taking a banned substance that a TUE cannot be obtained for, like testosterone, could they still race? I know that's not this scenario I'm just generally curious.
Quote Reply
Re: 4-Year Doping ban for Testosterone for former Pro => Age Grouper & IMTX Kona Qualifier [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Banned is banned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
37 with a TUE for testosterone? Seems a bit unlikely.
Quote Reply

Prev Next