Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

310xt vs Garmin 500
Quote | Reply
There's lots of info on both the Garmin 310XT and 500 on ST but just looking for some direct comparison. From my understanding the 310xt can display power data. The 500 can do this as well. I'm going to be getting into a power meter soon and wondering what head unit to get. I've had a 305 for years and used for running and riding. It would be nice to have a newer unit in the 310xt and also use it on the bike. But, would I be missing anything by using a 310xt with power on the bike? Or are there data fields on the 500 that may be nice to have for power on the bike?

I'd like to keep the price of a head unit around $150. At this point I'm too cheap to get both.

Edit: I'd use the 310xt with the quick release to switch between bike mount and wrist mount.
Last edited by: Burhed: Oct 22, 14 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: 310xt vs Garmin 50 [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the 500 because it can show more data fields and is mounted to my handle bars.
Quote Reply
Re: 310xt vs Garmin 500 [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I'd keep using the 305 for the run, and get a 500 for the bike. Bigger display, more data fields, and a better device than the 310XT on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
There's lots of info on both the Garmin 310XT and 500 on ST but just looking for some direct comparison. From my understanding the 310xt can display power data. The 500 can do this as well. I'm going to be getting into a power meter soon and wondering what head unit to get. I've had a 305 for years and used for running and riding. It would be nice to have a newer unit in the 310xt and also use it on the bike. But, would I be missing anything by using a 310xt with power on the bike? Or are there data fields on the 500 that may be nice to have for power on the bike?

I'd like to keep the price of a head unit around $150. At this point I'm too cheap to get both.

Edit: I'd use the 310xt with the quick release to switch between bike mount and wrist mount.

The 310XT doesn't display any of the "advanced" cycling metrics - Normalized Power, TSS, IF, and so on. These are quite useful, so I'd get the 500 and keep the 305 for running.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others mentioned, the 500 displays and records more data (NP, TSS, etc.). With the 500 that information also gets loaded to Garmin Connect. If you use software like TrainingPeaks, Golden Cheetah, etc. it can use the 310 data to provide this information so just depends on your needs.

It would also be my recommendation to keep the 305 for running and get a 500 for the bike. I have a 310 now and am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to have a run only watch and 500 for the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go 500. I had a 310 and ended up getting the 500 once I got my PM. It's just alot easier to put all the metrics important to you on 1-2 screens.
Quote Reply
Re: 310xt vs Garmin 500 [songmak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going through this now. My situation was - a Timex Run Trainer (just don't) and no bike computer.

Got a 500. LOVE IT. Easily switch between my TT and Road bike. Put the speed cadence sensor on my TT, but might get another for my roadie. Looked down to check my cadence on my road bike ride yesterday... doh.

Next is a 310xt or a FR 220. I have gone back and forth a million times. For a device that I'll almost exclusively use for running, the 310xt is just too big. Once I saw a 220 in person, I decided I'm going that route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 310xt is TERRIBLE for elevation data. I have a 31 but use my 800 Edge for cycling. For a triathlon, I'll use the 310 in multisport just to capture the race details, but still use the 800 on the bike for the extra display fields and advanced metrics.
Quote Reply
Re: 310xt vs Garmin 500 [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the 220 as well and almost landed on it or the Forerunner 10 (may be too basic for my needs), but then saw the Ambit2 deeply discounted recently. I never looked at Suuto before but this has me contemplating using them as my run only watch.
Quote Reply