Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record?
Quote | Reply
I find it amazing that they dropped 3100 on an Ironman course.

Is this a record start number? Or do other races have more starters?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last year at Penticton was around 3000 but I don't remember exactly. Of course it had single loop s/b/r
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The time trial start is what makes that number possible. There was a lot of congestion on the bike course in the first 30 miles but I never saw any pelotons.... just the occasional wheel sucking cheaters you have at any race. It took about 50 mins to start the field. Compare that to a race with 2500 and a mass start. The latter would have far more drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have the breakdown of how many men and women finished the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteered for the race. They announced that they had 2,500 and some odd people check in.

PJC wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 2573 starters and 2365 finishers. It still felt very crowded out there to me.
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know the exact number registered, but let's say it was 3100. Then 3100 - 2573 = 527 DNS or 17%. Typically 10-15% don't show up for the race so that is a little higher than normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's crazy to me that this many people sign up for a race in Louisville, yet Muskoka barely made 1200 and Tremblant is taking longer and longer to sell out every year - especially after reading comments about the river smelling like diesel, the amount of traffic on the bike course, and a run course that goes through sketchy areas. People prefer that kind of course to swimming in pristine lakes and amazing scenery on the bike and run? Or is it people in that area don't want to travel north of the border? Admittedly the downtown finish and spectator support is probably better in Louisville than Muskoka, but the vibe in Tremblant is pretty awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The crowd support during the downtown square portion is pretty awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alot of it is logistics. Ample hotel space within a few blocks of the start, finish, expo and t-area. Same with restaurants. Louisville is 5-6 hr drive for about 60% of the country's population, it's big enough to have things to do for the family/kids while the race is going on all day, but small enough to easily get around the entire course without too much traffic. Finish line is loud. Bike course is scenic, but not as much as say a LP or Tremblant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:
It's crazy to me that this many people sign up for a race in Louisville, yet Muskoka barely made 1200 and Tremblant is taking longer and longer to sell out every year - especially after reading comments about the river smelling like diesel, the amount of traffic on the bike course, and a run course that goes through sketchy areas. People prefer that kind of course to swimming in pristine lakes and amazing scenery on the bike and run? Or is it people in that area don't want to travel north of the border? Admittedly the downtown finish and spectator support is probably better in Louisville than Muskoka, but the vibe in Tremblant is pretty awesome.

Logistics including international travel.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Alot of it is logistics. Ample hotel space within a few blocks of the start, finish, expo and t-area. Same with restaurants. Louisville is 5-6 hr drive for about 60% of the country's population, it's big enough to have things to do for the family/kids while the race is going on all day, but small enough to easily get around the entire course without too much traffic. Finish line is loud. Bike course is scenic, but not as much as say a LP or Tremblant.

I decided to go down to spectate the week-10 days before. Got a room at Embassy Suites right outside the finish line really nice!!

It was a 6.5 hour drive from Milwaukee not a bad drive. The only traffic problem I had was 3 miles from hotel with the bridge under construction.

I drove to La Grange. Not quite as many people as Verona for IMWI but nice. Cars/drivers weren't real patient but that could be because it just moved to Oct. and nobody knew this was the weekend of the race.

Getting back from La Grange was a challenge for someone not familiar with LOU. Because of the way the run cuts downtown in half if you cant end up on the right "half" it is tough. I took two shots at getting west of 4th St. via the highways and ended up on 2nd (east) both times. Proceeded to park off 2nd and leave car overnight.

I picked up bike and gear for an athlete after. I would say it is pretty spread out from finish line to T1&2 (and from T1&2 to swim start). I wouldn't want to make that walk as a finisher.

Couldn't beat cheering the final runners in and then being back in my room 3 minutes later though. Finish line is a great venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:
First off let me say that I was a Louisville naysayer for many years. I too couldn't figure out why people wanted to swim in that river. I did it last year in the heat and humidity and I can say that I didn't enjoy the swim, liked the bike, and hated the run in the heat.
This year was different. I'm a convert. Its a damn good race. The river did not seem bad at all this year. I've done IMMOO five times and I now will say that the river on Sunday was cleaner than Monona. The bike is way better than Wisconsin. The roads are fast and smooth as silk (compared to IMMOO). And for all these posts about the run going through sketchy areas? Really? Two blocks out of 13 miles of low income is sketchy? Where do you people live? The town was rocking on Sunday. If you are from the Midwest and don't care to spend thousands on travel then I highly recommend IMLOU in October. My prediction is it will sell out quickly every year.
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

I've never raced IMMOO but done the whole course. The bikes is scenic, but Louisville is about the same. But the roads are much worse in Louisville.

The repaved (from when I did it in 2012) section on the out and back was glorious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how you define the record.

Challenge Roth has 3000 + 600 relays.

Hamburg Triathlon I think gets around 10,000 participants.

Chicago Triathlon 7000?
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Chicago Triathlon 7000?
Sorry was only talking ironman

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
cl60guy wrote:

First off let me say that I was a Louisville naysayer for many years. I too couldn't figure out why people wanted to swim in that river. I did it last year in the heat and humidity and I can say that I didn't enjoy the swim, liked the bike, and hated the run in the heat.
This year was different. I'm a convert. Its a damn good race. The river did not seem bad at all this year. I've done IMMOO five times and I now will say that the river on Sunday was cleaner than Monona. The bike is way better than Wisconsin. The roads are fast and smooth as silk (compared to IMMOO). And for all these posts about the run going through sketchy areas? Really? Two blocks out of 13 miles of low income is sketchy? Where do you people live? The town was rocking on Sunday. If you are from the Midwest and don't care to spend thousands on travel then I highly recommend IMLOU in October. My prediction is it will sell out quickly every year.

Spot on. The race went through the city, some upscale re-gentrified areas, a couple of blocks with some boarded up homes/businesses and later on, maybe one block with what looked like project apartments, then lots of nice suburban neighborhoods. The poor folks in those apartments were all out either watching from their porch, or jumping up and down encouraging the runners. This was probably the cheapest IM I've done and the final blocks into the finish on 4th Street Live was nothing less than awesome awesomeness.
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scenery on a bike course or run course is a little laughable if your actually racing. Maybe a dozen times at most I took a moment to look around at Kona, but other than that I was focused on managing my race, as you should be.

Nasty swim.... now that is something.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 3100 at Ironman Louisville. A record? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree at all. But I don't think anyone was talking about scenery. Did you misread sketchy in the post to which I was responding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Chicago Triathlon 7000?

Why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:

I've been doing this for years and never heard of this race. What is a "Muskoka?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
PJC wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Chicago Triathlon 7000?

Why?

Why was I asking about a Ironman starter/registered record?

I just was. The Challenge Roth course is short anyway so doesnt count.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

Ironman Arizona last year had 3202 registered and 2390 finished (here is the link if you want to figure out DNS rate http://www.ironman.com/...;ps=20#axzz3oS0wlEUK)

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

Incorrect. But continue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
PJC wrote:

Incorrect. But continue.

Serious question, if its not short, which I have always assumed, why is it so fast?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply

Prev Next