Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2nd gen flo and powertap
Quote | Reply
Can a G3 be laced up to the 2nd gen flo if I just buy a hoop during the next sale?

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will they be offering the rims by themselves? If not you would have to buy the full wheel and then disassemble it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to see this question, as I was just looking at the same thing. I'm ready to pull the trigger to ditch my Stages PM and go hub-based, since I'm sick of the TRP 925 brake that's required to clear the Stages on my Felt B16.

Hopefully FLO is reading this and is considering adding G3 options on all of its wheels, since I'd rather go with the aluminum braking surface and not have to worry with different brake pads between training/racing. I'll keep watching.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [ryancr711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryancr711 wrote:
I'm glad to see this question, as I was just looking at the same thing. I'm ready to pull the trigger to ditch my Stages PM and go hub-based, since I'm sick of the TRP 925 brake that's required to clear the Stages on my Felt B16.

Hopefully FLO is reading this and is considering adding G3 options on all of its wheels, since I'd rather go with the aluminum braking surface and not have to worry with different brake pads between training/racing. I'll keep watching.

I have been thinking of building a new powertap and slapping on a Catalyst carbon cover. Was thinking of going with the Velocity Quill - 21.1 inner @ 415 grams and aluminum. When all was said and done I would have an aluminum clincher disc wheel that is sub 900 grams and can be run at super lower tire pressure given the wide width.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training and Racing PT wheelset

Make an offer on the package
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should work I put a G3 in a gen 1 Flo 60 with zero issues.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to do this too,, but have never built a wheel. Do you have any advice? How did you determine the spoke length? Is there a good source of bladed spokes that are PT compatible? How did you get the FLO rim?

Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [jon.isom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jon.isom wrote:
I want to do this too,, but have never built a wheel. Do you have any advice? How did you determine the spoke length? Is there a good source of bladed spokes that are PT compatible? How did you get the FLO rim?

Thanks for any advice!

If you want to build a PT Flo you kinda need to start with a complete wheel. They only sell the Flo 30 rims as a bare rim. I would recommend sending them as e-mail and asking whether they ever intend to sell any of the bare deep rims. When you contact them the other thing to ask is what the ERD for the second gen wheels are. You can calculate spoke length from this number and the flange height of the PT. if it hasn't changed, search the forum for Flo and PowerTap, I posted spoke lengths a couple years ago.

Spoke choice is simple. Sapim CX Rays. Figure around 100$ for spokes and 40-60$ for labor.

If anyone is interested, my Flo rim cracked around the spoke holes so I have a set of spokes for the gen 1 rims. 15$ plus shipping and they could be yours.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:
Will they be offering the rims by themselves? If not you would have to buy the full wheel and then disassemble it.

Yes. We have been selling our Aluminum FLO 30 rims for a couple of years now, and will soon be selling most of our carbon clincher wheels as rim only. That includes the 45, 60, and 90.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
jon.isom wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

If you want to build a PT Flo you kinda need to start with a complete wheel. They only sell the Flo 30 rims as a bare rim. I would recommend sending them as e-mail and asking whether they ever intend to sell any of the bare deep rims. When you contact them the other thing to ask is what the ERD for the second gen wheels are. You can calculate spoke length from this number and the flange height of the PT. if it hasn't changed, search the forum for Flo and PowerTap, I posted spoke lengths a couple years ago.

Spoke choice is simple. Sapim CX Rays. Figure around 100$ for spokes and 40-60$ for labor.

If anyone is interested, my Flo rim cracked around the spoke holes so I have a set of spokes for the gen 1 rims. 15$ plus shipping and they could be yours.

Can I ask what rim cracked? Was it the rim that you rebuilt with the PT hub?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news about the CC rim availability! Will they be available for the July sale?
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:
Great news about the CC rim availability! Will they be available for the July sale?

Yes. We should have the CC rims available in our next sale.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM Sent regarding spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [Consultri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I missed you PM. Will check tonight
Quote Reply
Re: 2nd gen flo and powertap [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
jon.isom wrote:

Thanks for any advice!

Can I ask what rim cracked? Was it the rim that you rebuilt with the PT hub?

Sorry I missed your question. Yes it was the rim with the PT. I had a front and rear 60 set and about 4 or 5 of the spoke holes started to crack and one of the nipples started to pull through.

While there is a chance that the PT had something to do with the failure, My guess is that the rim didn't get properly heat treated because the stall seemed very soft compared to the front rim. I seriously hammered the front into a couple of potholes and railroad tracks and it didn't do anything, other than destroy a tire or pinch flat. In contrast, I bent the brake track on the rear in two places and put a huge gouge in the brake track when someone crashed on my back wheel in a field sprint. (I didn't go down so it is hard to image what part of the other bike caused the damage).

I sold the front wheel, but my old rim is still sitting in the basement if you want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a pedal option? I have a felt AR and Vectors seem to be easiest plus I was able to get them new for about $420. I also heard that you can fit a 4iii powermeter on the AR so I'd assume it would fit on the B16.
Quote Reply