288$ cheap power meter for training...
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 288$ cheap power meter for training... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there about about a dozen reasons why this would not be what you are hoping.

Nice job thinking out of the box.
Quote Reply
Re: 288$ cheap power meter for training... [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Yeah, there about about a dozen reasons why this would not be what you are hoping.

Nice job thinking out of the box.

all I can think of is power loss as it will have to roll off the rim of the wheel - but I am sure you can calculate that after your workout...., what else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose it could work as long as the generator was the only source of resistance (not possible). Add a trainer or actual road riding and it's irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item3f3bdec90b

Ebay?

Can get it rebuilt in a 700c wheel and come out cheaper than 288
Last edited by: JSully: Aug 28, 14 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Jackmott mentioned, it will only really be measuring speed...kinda.
The current produced by the generator will be somewhat linearly correlated to the wheel speed. Since the whole thing is buffered by a battery, there will not be any second to second resolution that would be able to translate into how that speed is changing (i.e. power). Even though, 15W isn't really the problem. You could potentially translate 3W of battery charging into 50W of rider power. You would just need to also be constantly discharging those amps because once it fills, you'd be reading zero. Further, the rate of charging (displayed watts) will not be consistent at various battery levels.

Best case, this would have error +/- a couple hundred watts. You would be much better off with that ~$150 powercal.
Quote Reply
Re: 288$ cheap power meter for training... [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
As Jackmott mentioned, it will only really be measuring speed...kinda.
The current produced by the generator will be somewhat linearly correlated to the wheel speed. Since the whole thing is buffered by a battery, there will not be any second to second resolution that would be able to translate into how that speed is changing (i.e. power). Even though, 15W isn't really the problem. You could potentially translate 3W of battery charging into 50W of rider power. You would just need to also be constantly discharging those amps because once it fills, you'd be reading zero. Further, the rate of charging (displayed watts) will not be consistent at various battery levels.

Best case, this would have error +/- a couple hundred watts. You would be much better off with that ~$150 powercal.

hmm how about having the roller on the chain of front crank's big gear .... I never use granny gear anyways. But thanks for the power tap ideas it has me ebay hunting now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that will also just be measuring speed

synthetic wrote:
hmm how about having the roller on the chain of front crank's big gear .... I never use granny gear anyways. But thanks for the power tap ideas it has me ebay hunting now

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 288$ cheap power meter for training... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 'thing' adds resistance to the wheel. That's how you generate power, problem is that the road or trainer and pushing against wind ect also eat up power. All you would be doing is measuring how much power you were generating to over come the load of the 'thing', not your whole power.

this would work only if you were mounted into a trainer with it essentially being the trainer flywheel, and then I doubt you will be able to get it to actually resist as much as you need it to.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply