Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

24:48;72 Before IM
Quote | Reply
Would like some feedback on what some of you eat in the 24-72 hour range PRIOR to your IM race. I have the morning of and night before figured out but seem to get more GI distress from the foods that are already halfway through the intestines from the 2 days prior.

Would love some feedback on types and amounts (do you scale back ?) of foods you consume during this window and what success or failures you have had.

Thanks in advance....
Quote Reply
Re: 24:48;72 Before IM [bizmarqua] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The *only* thing I do differently about my nutrition in the lead up to the race is that on race morning, I add an extra piece of PB + Honey toast. I go from 2 pieces to three.

Otherwise it's business as usual for any other key workout.

If you know what works for your long bikes and long runs, why would you do something different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most common advice everyone seems to agree with is stick to things you normally eat and don't try and change things up last minute......i.e. eating wheat or pasta or dairy if you haven't been consistently eating wheat, pasta or dairy.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have really bad GI issues at the HIM distance. My problem was that I was eating normally the day before. What seems to work for me now (after 3 HIM's and one IM) the day before I only eat lightly and easily digestible foods. Then to keep my calories up through the day I drink Ensure. Seems to work for me and I don't have a lot in my guts on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: 24:48;72 Before IM [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
The most common advice everyone seems to agree with is stick to things you normally eat and don't try and change things up last minute......i.e. eating wheat or pasta or dairy if you haven't been consistently eating wheat, pasta or dairy.

I heard - and practice - something different: that you eat 3 and 2 days before A LOT OF carbohydrates to
fill up your glycogen.
So I eat a lot of pasta and bread: as much as I can, and drink a lot of coke.
The day before it seems to be good to eat "normal", to not start the race with a stuffed feeling.
Quote Reply
Re: 24:48;72 Before IM [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a lot out there and best bet is to take "different horses for different courses." mentality. Experiment around and do what works for you.

Just for the record though you DON'T need to carbo load for longer than about 36 hours... If you are training for triathlon you are in pretty good shape. It only takes about 24 hours to max glycogen stores. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...111292?dopt=Abstract

The rest is just an excuse to get extra food in. Eat what you normally eat.
Quote Reply