Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced
Quote | Reply
So I came across a post by Ironman South Africa showing the announcement for the venue finalists for the 2018 Ironman 70.3 World Champs. Looks like my birth-town and home to Ironman South Africa, Port Elizabeth, has made the list. It's very exciting!

Out of the 3 venues, where do you guys think will be the best place to hold this race?

See the announcment below:

http://eu.ironman.com/...t.aspx#axzz477l3zQeb
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [Triargon1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I was talking to Paul Wolfe (IMSA RD) about how fantastic a venue it would be given the level of difficulty in all three sports, so great to see that Port Elizabeth made the cut. I am equally in favour of Port Elizabeth and Nice. Budapest not as much but I have not raced, there, but I take it that the surrounding terrain could be reasonably tough but the current bike course along the Danube looks like it would be pretty flat.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [Triargon1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done IM Nice and SA before. Both venues and races are amazing. Hoping for Nice to host the 70.3 Worlds in 2018 but wouldn't mind too much if its going to be PE. Don't fancy Budapest, though I have never been there :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew are you listening? Budapest please!

Finalists
Nice, France – Nice, located in the Côte d'Azur area on the southeast coast of France, is the capital of the stunning French Riviera and is the fifth-largest city in France. Host to IRONMAN France since 2005, Nice incorporates a swim in the pristine waters of the Mediterranean Sea and a run course along Nice’s historic Promenade des Anglais waterfront. With one of the largest international airports in France located just minutes away from the city, Nice is easily accessible and welcomes over five million visitors every year. Beyond the beauty of the area, Nice also offers a rich culture built by some of the greatest painters, writers and musicians the world has known. With year-round sunshine, a scenic location, and outstanding cuisine and culture, Nice embodies all the benefits of a historic coastal city.

Budapest, Hungary – Cited as one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, Budapest is the largest city in Hungary and is also one of the biggest cities in the European Union. This beloved tourist destination hosts IRONMAN 70.3 Budapest, joining the circuit in 2014. The Danube River, which is the longest river in the European Union, runs through the center of the city and along the Buda hills and Palace District. Budapest is well known for its restorative thermal baths, some of which date back to the Middle Ages. With a history that dates back to the 1200’s, the city attracts about 4.4 million tourists a year, making it the 25th most popular city in the world. Downtown’s nightlife district brings both culinary excellence and the relaxed atmosphere of underground-style lounges.

Port Elizabeth, Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa – The beachside community of Port Elizabeth within the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality is South Africa’s second oldest city and is the coastal and economic hub of the Eastern Cape. Athletes and spectators who travel to Port Elizabeth get the unique opportunity to visit one of the most widely beautiful and historically significant places in the world. Currently hosting the Standard Bank IRONMAN African Championship, the course in Nelson Mandela Bay and the city of Port Elizabeth has athletes utilizing the beautiful surroundings of Hobie, Humewood and Kings Beaches. While fishing, surfing, whale watching, scuba diving, snorkeling and sailing are enjoyed by tourists, Nelson Mandela Bay also prides itself on offering the ability to see lions, rhinos, buffalo, leopards, and elephants in wildlife reserves outside the metropolitan area.
IRONMAN expects approximately 190,000 registered athletes to race at over 100 events in the global IRONMAN 70.3 Series during the 2017 season in locations such as Australia, Brazil, Malaysia and China to qualify for the 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship. In addition, each age-group winner at the 2017 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship will automatically qualify for the 2018 championship.

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/...t.aspx#ixzz47bYeipps
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Love2Bike [ In reply to ]
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word on the street is that The Woodlands Texas just missed out in this.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [Love2Bike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love2Bike wrote:
I'm ready ! Got my shirt any everything!!
:)

https://www.sunfrog.com/Sports/T-Shirt-I-TRI-THEREFORE-I-AM-Triathlon-IRONMAN-703.html?25730

Gee are you trying to sell a shirt or something?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least the dork had the good sense to remove his post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that "The IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship began an annual global rotation in 2014......" and since the IM70.3 WC has already been in NA (& will be again in 2017), Europe & will be in Australia this year, wouldn't South Africa make the most sense?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a continent sharing perspective, yes. But from a business perspective, I don't think so. In a financially focused Championship, you would move it to a continent only if there were multiple 70.3 races to help feed it. WTC can add slots to all 70.3s in Australia to help fill out the field when the worlds are there, and likewise in Europe, but not so in SA.

I'm rooting for a Budapest because I would like to take a trip there, but if I were a betting man I would guess they will pick Nice since they were also a finalist for the 2015 worlds.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: May 3, 16 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a 2-loop, mostly flat bike course and a 4 (yes, 4!) lap half marathon, I wouldn't count on (or want) Budapest. Nice would be epic. I could definitely see SA making the cut one day, but, as you note, seems like 2018 could be a bit premature.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know if Nice would allow the level of disruption for a half and a full in the same season. Maybe they would be the chaos would be epic. Wonder what their plan is
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CINC House wants to go to Budapest so either WTC hosts it there or as far as I'm concerned the 2018 IM70.3 WC doesn't exist...and nor would I bother with any of the qualifiers.

IronmanCEO - hear my plea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats CINC?

I went to budapest once. It was amazing. Blew my mind. All these amazing spa's and parks and it was just a really cool town
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Whats CINC?

I went to budapest once. It was amazing. Blew my mind. All these amazing spa's and parks and it was just a really cool town

CINC House = Commander in Chief, House = Wife!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought thats what it was

My now wife bought us a weekend break there for my birthday not long after we met

Anyway. We have differing views about leaving on time. Packing etc. We were so late that we had to leave the car in a shortstay car park for 4 days and i was so pissed off that i dont think we spoke for 24 hours

Tbe first 2 years we lived in qatar put of probably 20-30 return trips we only travellled together once or twice it drives us so insane to be around each other when travelling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly think it would be EPIC/INTERESTING etc if they used the Honu Hawai'i 70.3 course. It would serve as a lead into the World Champs and many top contenders would stay to get ready for the big one..
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Needs a harder bike course. And they can be found on the Big Island. But keep the god awful run that apparently got even worse this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
Needs a harder bike course. And they can be found on the Big Island. But keep the god awful run that apparently got even worse this year.
If you don't mind 93 km instead of 90: https://www.strava.com/routes/5311008

Or this I guess - a bit tougher but not epic like going over the mountain: https://www.strava.com/routes/5311018

I've never ridden Kynnersley. No idea what that's like. But the Hawi Rd. climb to Kohala Mtn Rd. has some nice double digit kickers at the top

Most people did say the run was harder this year. And nobody broke 1:29.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over Kohala from Hawi is probably just too much sustained climbing for a tri. The descent on the Waimea side would be bomber with the road closed. The Kynnersley idea is interesting as it would add some difficulty mid-course. The descent might be an issue. The logistics challenge with varying the course would be the impact to local traffic where there is only one road in/out of the area.

The run sucked about as much as usual. Most people I know thought the Hell's Kitchen out/back was the best segment, which is a change from past years. The course was a lot more crowded with two laps and things at aid stations stacked up as the day went on.

On a somewhat related subject, didn't you guys run timing at Honu this year? I couldn't find the results on the Sportstats website.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! It looks like I wasn't using the US region site for my event search.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's my favorite race of the year but I can't see Honu being a potential WC venue. I'd love to see worlds in my home town - Victoria!

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be cool:)
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship Finalist Cities Announced [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
difficult to get europeans there - not impossible but its not the same as going to the continental US

accepting I am biased but I'd take Nice, Budapest (though do not know exactly where you would swim) or Victoria over Hawaii
Quote Reply

Prev Next