Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Reviews: HOTSHOT Discount Code
Quote | Reply
The ST reviews are in, and for those of you who want to give HOTSHOT a try before your 70.3 or IM races, here's a discount code for a 6 pack, good til the end of 2017.
Code: TWITCH50
50% off your first 6-pack
Code expires 12/31/2017
Shipping is free.
Offer valid in the US only.

Cramping is a big issue for Endurance Athletes, and HOTSHOT is the first scientifically developed and proven product to stop and prevent cramping during exercise. It's being offered at North American IM 70.3's and 140.6, but most folks won't try something new during competition. We had lots of takers when we asked for testers, and we looked for athletes who'd had serious unresolved issues with cramping.
After a 3 week testing period, and with Kona and other big races still to come in the season, inquiring minds want to hear our testers talk about their experiences with HOTSHOT

GENERAL
  • Athletic background and training program details
  • Cramping and nutritional challenges/issues youā€™ve experienced and other methods you've tried to relieve them
  • Races/events/key workouts during the test period.
ABOUT HOTSHOT
  • Did you according to instructions or change it up?
  • Taste
  • Energy levels
  • Digestability
  • Cramp prevention/reduction
  • Whatever else you consider relevant

Please note: Your comments may be used in a front page article that amalgamates all user reviews of that product, though you can choose the method attribution (how you wish to be identified) for any comments of yours that are quoted.

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Sep 26, 17 13:42
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Testing Call For Reviews: HOTSHOT [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put my comments into the supplied review sheet and will paste below. Great experience with HOTSHOT and the product has definately gained a permanent user in me. Highly recommend.

About me: 6' 185 pounds. Doing Tri for 5 seasons now. Strength is the bike. Weakness used to be the swim, is now the run. Usually do 3-4 Olympic races per year and one 70.3. This season, 3 OLY, 1 70.3, and first crack at 140.6 this November. Used HOTSHOT in train up for IM 70.3 AC and during the race. Will continue to use in final prep for IM Florida. History of bad cramping in quads a few miles into the run, and cramping in feet.

a. I used the product as instructed: Initially
b. I modified product use: Periodically I did not take the product before my workout. This was due to getting some early heart rate spikes during some of my brick workouts. However I discovered these were due to something else I had changed in my nutrition and not related to this product.
c. Taste: While shocked initially, I did like the taste. I am a fan of all things spicy/peppery. I guess when people told me there was some spice to the taste I brushed it off. I was wrong. The taste is definitely a shock and it really lingers. But I didnā€™t find it bad, and grew to enjoy the sensation during a long workout. I am EXTREMELY fussy when it comes to taste and consistency of supplements, and this passed my test. When cold, the taste is smooth and spicy and lingers a bit. When warm, initially it tasted harsh. Not unusable, just eye opening and lingered for a long time.
d. Digestibility: No issues. Had zero GI issues at all. For me the product went down like water. My stomach didnā€™t know anything had hit it.
e. Convenience: Iā€™ll rate this easy to use, but difficult if you donā€™t think ahead. The plastic seal around the cap can be difficult to remove with sweaty hands while running. Yes, it can and should be removed ahead of time, but apparently I neglected to open the one I was using in the middle of the run in Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City.
f. Cramping: Experienced one or more bouts of muscle twitching
Comments: I will be purchasing the product for future use and will refine my use of it. It seemed to take things down for me one notch. So, if I took the product at the first sight of muscle twitching, the twitching went away. If I took it once I started actually cramping, it took it down to occasional twitching. Iā€™m saying the product works, I just needed to get out in front of cramps a little better.
g. Cramp location: Quadriceps and feet
Comments: These two are my general problem areas. Feet on long runs (just behind the toes) and my inner quads on runs following a good bike effort.
h. Cramp intensity: Mild pain
Comments: While using the product the cramps, when they did come on, came on much slower and much more mildly. My history has been sudden onset of leg locking cramps in my quads. Using this product during my first long run/bike effort I noticed a considerable change. I took one HOTSHOT in the middle of the bike workout, then pocketed one for running. Around 5 miles into my run (later than I usually feel it), I felt a very slow onset of some twitching in my normal problem area. Took the second HOTSHOT and completed my day with no issues. I was impressed from the first use.
i. Cramp duration: Less than 2 minutes
Comments: As mentioned earlier, I will be purchasing and refining my use. When I would wait until cramping to use HOTSHOT, the cramp would subside within 2 minutes or less. Now that I better know how to use it (for me), I rate the relief as extremely fast.
j. Cramp frequency: Cramped once. Comments: Depending on the length of workout I would maybe get one cramp during a session. I didnā€™t use the product for every single workout, I reserved it for longer weekend efforts. I noticed during the workouts during the week that I wasnā€™t using it, I would get stiffness and twitches a lot easier.
k. Cramp outcome: Was able to continue training without stopping
Comments: Iā€™ll reiterate my statement that for me, the product lessened what was happening by one degree. Easy to use product though, drank it on the run and kept on going.
l. Product effect on cramping: Cramp ceased soon after consuming product
Comments: The degree to which it lessened my discomfort, was very fast. This, I think, was a bit amplified by the flavor of the product. During long efforts, when I would get into that zombie like feeling, drinking this was like getting slapped in the face. It relieved my cramps and brought me back to alertness.
m. Perceived energy: No noticeable change
Comments: While I didnā€™t have an energy change per se, as mentioned above, there is definitely a ā€˜wake-upā€™ factor to the drink, especially when itā€™s warm.
n. Workout intensity: Sustained a higher intensity than usual
Comments: Especially for my runs, I noticed a higher intensity to brick workouts and the one race I used the product for. My previous cramp onsets usually led to slow jogging or walking, sometimes trying to hydrate the cramp out leading to bloating. I kept much higher pace and tempo on my workouts with HOTSHOT
o. Perceived effort: No Noticeable Change
Comments: Again, I was not increasing effort, but was getting better workout results because I was holding my pace instead of slowing to work out the cramps or slowing because twitching was setting in. I didnā€™t really notice any energy boost (though the product isnā€™t really marketed that way so I didnā€™t expect it).
p. Recovery: My recovery seemed faster
Comments: Using the product post-workout I was initially skeptical about, but I did notice a change. A few hours post workout my legs felt much fresher, and I woke the next morning with legs feeling like they did less than they actually did the day before.
q. Soreness: Less soreness than expected
Comments: Same as above, post-workout feeling was much better, and had much fresher legs in the morning to go back out again.
r. Other comments: Overall I highly recommend HOTSHOT. Some will not like the flavor initially, but I think youā€™ll get used to it (use it cold first, acquired taste). I used the product for my workouts leading up to my ā€˜Bā€™ race for the year, Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City and was very pleased both in training and the race. I have had a history of awful quad cramps coming off the bike and into the first 2-3 miles of a run, and I experienced a significant decrease during this test period. I will be purchasing the product for future use in my remaining training for Ironman Florida, and it will be with me on the course.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Last edited by: Tatonka: Sep 18, 17 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Testing Call For Reviews: HOTSHOT [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have been competing in triathlon for 17 years. Im 35yr old, 6ā€™0 168lbs. I swam in college, am an adequate runner on its own (sub 1:30 half marathon, sub 19 5k) and have ridden 2:20 for a HIM. For some reason, though I have frequently cramped in races getting off the bike. I normally target short course but will frequently have long runs and long bikes thrown in. Lately I have ended the season with 1 long course race (AC 70.3 this year).

a. I used the product as instructed. At the beginning, yes.
b. I modified product use (please explain): I was hit by a car 4 weeks ago and all training moved inside ,and was very low intensity. Figured I would try to race at AC... but I had only been using hotshot for 4 or 5 workouts + 1 race during that time
Taste: Iā€™ve grown to like it.
d. Digestibility: It takes me like 15 minutes to settle in my stomach. The one sprint race I did with this, I took a shot near the end of the bike, in prep for the runā€¦ having a couple miles to settle before I started running worked great.
e. Convenience: Just remember to remove the plastic wrapperā€¦ then its easy
f. Cramping: Experienced one or more bouts of muscle twitching and 1 cramp. Toes and feet began cramping in Bike- Swim ā€“ Bike workout. Took the hotshot and it went away immediately. In another workout felt a cramp coming on in my calves, 3hr into a workout, with an hour workset leftā€¦ Took a shot and it was fixed.
g. Perceived energy: When taken before bike workouts, I donā€™t ā€œfeelā€ more energetic, but my watts just seem to be higher. I was hoping the same would be true for track work running, but that wasnā€™t the case.
h. Workout intensity: Sustained a higher intensity than usual on the bike

i. Perceived effort: __ No noticeable change

j. Recovery: No noticeable change ā€¦ but I tend to recover quickly.

k. Soreness: No noticeable change... maybe it was a little better? but can't really tell.

Other comments:
Hotshot is definitely part of my toolkit going forward. I started my race at AC yesterday (but bailed halfway through the bike with still some lingering effects of the car hit). In one other race I used it throughout. I definitely believe in the priming effect and taking one between the swim and ride seems to pay dividends. I have not cramped during a race yet, but I did ā€œpre-treatā€ during a sprint earlier this year. This product definitely works as advertisedā€¦ I do need to take it easy if I take it running because I do have a little trouble with some GI comfort for about 10 minutes.

I think my use case going forward is: Emergency shot carried with me during most works and races, 1 after the swim in a race, 1 before the run. If pricing were different, I would probably add in shots before bike workouts , but the price seems a bit much for me, for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GENERAL

I've been an AG triathlete, mostly HIM and IM distance, for about 4 years. I've been a runner on and off since jr high cross country.

I'm mostly self coached. This year I used trainer road for cycling, a modified Gary P program for my runs, and a swimming was a mix of various IM training programs.
  • Cramping and nutritional challenges/issues youā€™ve experienced and other methods you've tried to relieve them

I've always struggled with cramps since I started running again as an adult. It's almost always my calves and arch of my foot. Once in a while I'll get it in my quads or hamstrings. They occur with all three activities and at night too. It happens the most with running and probably equal amounts with swim and bike. I've tried stretching and last 2 years I tried dry needling. Dry needling had helped reduce cramps, but I still got them frequently. I also had to take 2-3 days off after needling (muscles were very sore after each session).

I received the hot shots approximately 3 weeks before my A race (IMMT). Immediately started using it with my workouts leading up to the race and including the race itself.

ABOUT HOTSHOT

I followed it as directed. I used it 15-30min prior to my workout for all three activities, but not during the workout. During my race I used it before each session and through out the bike and run.
  • Taste

I was taken back initially at how spicy it was, but the more I used it I got used to it. I think it tasted pretty good overall.
  • Energy levels

This is hard to tell. I felt really good using it during my workouts and felt like I was able to push harder. However, this was during tapering so that could be why too.
  • Digestability

I had no problems using it during swim and biking. I took it once at the start of my run during a brick session and I got bloated, gassy and had side stitches. I usually have GI issues with the run. I was fine when I let my HR settle (5-10 min into run).

I thought the Hotshot worked well during the race.

I took Hotshot once, 30 min before the start and followed by gel 15 min later. During the swim I had two cramps, one in the calf and one quad. They were both initiated by getting kicked in those muscles. What was different was that it went away almost immediately. I just stopped kicking for one or two strokes and they never came back. Usually when I cramp during swim I have to keep stretching every few strokes for it to resolve and sometimes they come back.

For the bike and the run, I didn't have any cramps at all. I took Hotshot at the start of both. However, I had twinges during both. Any time those came on I took another Hotshot. I took a total of 3 Hotshot during bike and 2 during run. I left one bottle in each special needs bag which I picked up both times.

As a side note I also have been cramping (calf only) less this year prior to using Hotshot. I believe a lot has to do with modifying my run training (slower but higher volume). I do think Hotshot made a difference with the twinges (which occurred with calf, hamstring and quads) because I usually have to back off my pace to prevent cramping. I didn't have to do during IMMT.

I don't think I'll carry or use it for my workouts, but I'm definitely going to use it for future races.

I'm doing a 70.3 in 2 weeks so I'll continue to use it. It'll be interesting to see how it works with higher intensity. Though I'm not sure how hard I can push it as I am still recovering from IMMT.
Last edited by: hubcaps: Sep 18, 17 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

General:
I have been competing in triathlon for 7 years and marathon/half marathons about 10 years. While running I never had any cramping issues, but as soon as I started to swim the cramps started. Most of my swim sessions involved periods of time dealing with calf cramps, Usually I was able to work through them and continue the swim. Sometimes they were do bad I would have sore calves for a couple days post swim. Over time, the cramping subsided. Until this past May when I started to train for my first IM . The cramping was particularly bad when swimming after a long run.
When I saw the offer to test Hot Shot I was very excited as the cramping had gotten so bad that I had a few workouts where I had to stop swimming, ending the workout early. The cramps continued for many minutes, making it impossible for me to even exit the pool. So, I was anxious to find a product to resolve my issue.

Hot Shot:
I used Hot Shot exactly as described - drinking a bottle 15-30 minutes before the swim, drinking a bottle at the first sign of cramping and one post exercise.
Taste: The first time i drank it I really questioned whether I would be able to finish the bottle! It is named Hot Shot for a reason. However, the more I drank it, the less I disliked it. It was never good, just less bad.
Energy Levels: I never felt a difference in energy levels.
Digestability: Usually after drinking the bottle while working out I had heartburn. The feeling lasted about 20 minutes, which was rather unpleasant. I never had this feeling after the pre or post workout drink.
Cramp prevention/reduction: I wish i could say that the product worked for me; it didn't. I had cramps just as often and with the same intensity as pre-testing.
Other possibly relevant information: Since i stopped using Hot Shot my cramps have lessened in both frequency and intensity. I believe my cramping is a function of conditioning; as I was ramping up my run/bike my muscles were fatigued and I cramped badly when swimming. As I've gotten more fit during the training plan the cramps have almost completely gone away and when I do cramp I don't cramp nearly as badly.

I appreciate the opportunity to participate in testing Hot Shot. For whatever reason, it was not a good fit for me, but I am happy to see others experience was positive.

Ann-Marie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Perhaps my little story is a bit interesting regarding hotshot. They had sent me some free trials which I tried, although I don't typically suffer from cramps ( at my slow speed ). I had no problems with taste, digestibility, using it at speed, etc. I just could never tell any difference since I really don't suffer from cramps.

I am 5'10, 170 pounds. I have been competing in triathlons for 36 consecutive years including 27 Ironman finishes.

Last week in Chattanooga at the 70.3 worlds I had a bit of a freak incident in T 1. Let me be sure to say that nobody did anything wrong and nobody was at fault. The strippers, wetsuit that is, ripped off my suit then gave me a hand to pull me up. The guy that pulled me up's knee hit the middle of my quad like a bull's-eye. I literally couldn't walk through transition. For the first time ever I thought I wasn't going to finish the race.

After I settled in on the bike I did "OK" but I sure was worried about the run. During the first leg of the run the quad was cramping like the dickens. When I got to the hotshot station I knew I had nothing to lose so I downed the whole thing in one gulp. A bit to my surprise, the cramping went away pretty quickly.

Then, on lap to I downed another hotshot and was able to maintain my stride the whole way and actually hit my exact time that I told my wife I would run before the race. Again, I had no problem whatsoever with taste, digestibility, etc.

I will certainly say that the hotshot worked. I am one always to quickly question the difference between correlation and causation, but my quad pain and the subsequent relief has made me a true believer.

I sure hope I don't have to experience this again, but if I do I know the solution :-)

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Sep 19, 17 3:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Age 60, 12 IM, cramp late in the bike and then coming of the bike sometimes. Got a couple of Hotshots at Syracuse, wanted to try them.

I leg cramp on the swim, sometimes late in the bike and when I start to run and later in the run. I have been using Salt Stick to try and alleviate cramps but found it only mildly effective.

First attempt at Syracuse on the run. Couldn't open the bottle. Finally got it open. WOW! That was a real surprise. Hot and spicy. Almost barfed. Could only finish half, still had some residual cramping on the run but not as bad as expected. It was a very hot day, the hot spice was a bit much for my first experience.

Ironman Wales. Felt crampy coming up the steep climb out of Wisemans bridge (120? Kms). Had some in my pocket but waited until the aid station after Tenby to take it for the hills on the last loop. Once again forgot to take the plastic off. Stopped and got one of the volunteers to open it for me. Once again gulped it down and got most of it this time but boy it's spicy. Almost coughed some up but got the rest in. Had no cramping issues for the remaining bike or marathon. For me, this is what I was looking for. Salt stick always seemed ineffective.

There is no boost, no gut issues, lots of taste, most of all, no cramps. I will definitely keep this in my arsenal for racing. Very satisfied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Background 48 years old, 5'10" 165lbs. Longtime triathlete, last few years the focus has been more on Xterra events and other MTB races. Long sustained climbing events usually can cause cramping, unfortunately that describes many Xterra races. I've not really had issues with cramps on the swim previously, they manifest on the bike and then carry into the run.

I followed the instructions for use and would take one 15 minutes before starting an activity.

The flavor definitely has an aftertaste, it goes away fairly quickly however and it is more "palatable" the colder the product is.

Used it before some local MTB midweek races, one Olympic tri, and several weekend climbing rides with brick trail runs after.

For me I never cramped once after taking it. Rides that I would normally expect to see some cramping I never did, never even the first twinge of a cramp. Even on the runs I never cramped. I never took the product mid race/activity as I didn't have a need but I did carry one with me on rides.

I use Gatorade Endurance for hydration and either Hammer or other Gu's for calories and experienced no stomach issues from using the Hotshot. I let my wife try one as she has calf cramp issues on the run and she is also a fan as her cramps while running went away. I will still use the product, I wish it was cheaper but for me it works well so it is worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About me: 5'10", 158 pounds. Third year doing triathlons. Strength is anything not involving water :). Did three races this year, HIM Hawaii, USAT Nationals and 70.3 Worlds. I cramp badly anytime I swim hard or do any activity after swimming.

a. I used the product as instructed: yes, but I only took it when I had a hard swim work out or a race as that involved a hard swim.
b. I modified product use: Not really. I typically took one in races right before the swim and then in t2. The only modification was that in Worlds 70.3 I felt fine in T2 and didn't take it but felt cramps coming on and took a HotShot at the aid station in mile 9.
c. Taste: I'm sorry, I have to say I don't like the taste at all. I can bear it except at T2, that is where I have to force myself to drink it.
d. Digestibility: No issues.
e. Convenience: Very easy to use. What I need to remind myself is to take the plastic seal off before I put it in T2. Why do I always forget that???
g. Cramp location: Calves mostly, sometimes in my hamstrings.
h. Cramp intensity: Severe. Severe pain and severe muscle cramps. Once it starts, my muscles fire hard.
i. Cramp duration: It takes 30-60 seconds of doing nothing with that muscles to let them calm.
j. Cramp frequency: Every single time I swim hard and then in a race, for the rest of the race my legs are at risk of having cramps
k. Cramp outcome: Completely debilitating until I calm them
l. Product effect on cramping: I try to take it preventatively per the instructions. It has stopped cramps from happening when otherwise I guarantee they would have occurred except for once and that was Worlds 70.3. I took HotShots in mile 9 and then in mile 12, at least 20 minutes after taking HotShots and so it should have had time to have an effect, I cramped so badly, I had to stop one mile short of the finish for 60 seconds, let my muscles relax, and then walk for 30 seconds and then slow jog for 30 seconds gradually getting back to a run. I think what this tells me is not that HotShots doesn't work, I really believe it does. It tells me that even though i was consuming lots of electrolytes, I think my muscles were so depleted, nothing including HotShots will work. I mean, that course was tough and I got my HIM PR, which means I pushed myself well beyond what I have done before and I don't think I consumed enough salt on the course. HotShots can negate a small deficiency in salt and electrolytes, but not a large one. And, I don't think any of us should expect HotShots to overcome large electrolyte deficiencies.
n. Workout intensity: Sustained a higher intensity than usual because cramps didn't force me to ease off
o. Perceived effort: No noticeable change
p. Recovery: Well, since I didn't have cramps, I recovered faster when using it.
q. Soreness: Well, since I didn't have cramps, I wasn't as sore afterwards when using it.
r. Other comments: Overall I highly recommend HOTSHOT. The flavor is not as important to me as the effect. I will be using it beyond the test period because of how much it helps.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GENERAL
  • Athletic background and training program details: Been in Tri for ~ 5 years, with a slight running background. Train for ~16-20 hours most weeks during the season.
  • Cramping and nutritional challenges/issues youā€™ve experienced and other methods you've tried to relieve them: Cramps includes weird places around chest area, sometimes quads and calves. I've been told that squeezing the part of your body that cramps increases blood flow to the area and thus can help alleviate the cramps... However, experience has told me that doesn't really work.
  • Races/events/key workouts during the test period: Used HOTSHOT during long weekend training sessions, have not experienced cramps during the long bricks. Raced 70.3 worlds, used a HOTSHOT at T2, and on course. No cramps.
ABOUT HOTSHOT
  • Did you according to instructions or change it up?: I do not cramp after workouts/races. So I only take it before and during.
  • Taste: Taste is definitely a shocker, especially the first time. Taste is tolerable after knowing what it taste like and what to expect.
  • Energy levels: Feel usually the same or slightly more motivated.
  • Digestability: Digests fine, no spicy aftertastes nor anything.
  • Cramp prevention/reduction: So far it works, but may need additional testing to confirm 100%
  • Whatever else you consider relevant: I can say that I have not cramped while taking this product.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could be way off, but it feels like I'm reading an Advertorial.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Testing Call For Reviews: HOTSHOT [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
I could be way off, but it feels like I'm reading an Advertorial.

Let me help... :)

I was part of the beta test group, they sent me lots of free product (which I very much appreciate, kudos for that).

I used it as directed in races, tried changing it up, before, during, etc etc etc, used many times. Never helped once. I get very bad leg cramps towards end of bike and on run. I think once your legs have had enough, they've had enough. At least that seems to be the case with me. So hot shots did nothing for me, never prevented cramping, and never stopped a cramp.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Testing Call For Reviews: HOTSHOT [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all my years participating endurance sports I have never experienced muscle cramps outside of a race. I have been on long hot training runs with very little fluid, no cramps. I've tried all sorts of old wives' potions in races, all to no avail. Ultimately for me, cramps are caused purely by neuro-muscular fatigue brought about by abnormal exertion i.e. in a race (particularly longer ones). Maybe there is another group of people that get cramps for other reasons, but I believe that in nearly all occasions, it is this abnormal exertion that is the root cause.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Testing Call For Reviews: HOTSHOT [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
In all my years participating endurance sports I have never experienced muscle cramps outside of a race. I have been on long hot training runs with very little fluid, no cramps. I've tried all sorts of old wives' potions in races, all to no avail. Ultimately for me, cramps are caused purely by neuro-muscular fatigue brought about by abnormal exertion i.e. in a race (particularly longer ones). Maybe there is another group of people that get cramps for other reasons, but I believe that in nearly all occasions, it is this abnormal exertion that is the root cause.

Yep, same here, all of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Ultimately for me, cramps are caused purely by neuro-muscular fatigue brought about by abnormal exertion i.e. in a race (particularly longer ones). Maybe there is another group of people that get cramps for other reasons, but I believe that in nearly all occasions, it is this abnormal exertion that is the root cause.

correct. Read the series,
http://sportsscientists.com/...uscle-cramps-part-i/

OTOH, there is evidence to show Hotshot and similar products can help with cramps, even when just rinsing out with it and not swallowing. This probably means there is some oddball signaling going on in the nervous system from the pickle juice/Hotshot etc flavor.

For example
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19997012
"Pickle juice, and not deionized water, inhibits electrically induced muscle cramps in hypohydrated humans. This effect could not be explained by rapid restoration of body fluids or electrolytes. We suspect that the rapid inhibition of the electrically induced cramps reflects a neurally mediated reflex that originates in the oropharyngeal region and acts to inhibit the firing of alpha motor neurons of the cramping muscle."

sorry STConcierge for the thread hijack ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GENERAL

• Athletic background and training program details--7 yrs of tri. usually finish top 20-30% of AG. 2xIM finisher--12:01 and 13:15. Training hrs 9-12/wk.
  • Cramping and nutritional challenges/issues youā€™ve experienced and other methods you've tried to relieve them--hamstring and quad cramping at end of long ride and HIM/IM runs. Have only tried high electrolyte drinks and gels.
  • Races/events/key workouts during the test period. Key event was a hilly HIM in the NC mountains at about 2500ft base elevation.
ABOUT HOTSHOT

• Did you according to instructions or change it up? -- No changes.
  • Taste -- Gingery, spicy, refreshing.
  • Energy levels -- good on energy levels. I often replaced an espresso with hotshot before an early morning interval ride, or took one after a long trainer ride.
  • Digestability -- good when I sipped it, and better as the weeks went on.
  • Cramp prevention/reduction -- no cramps while using it, and next-day soreness was reduced.
  • Whatever else you consider relevant -- best when consumed ice cold!

ā€”Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General

Ā§ Height is 6ā€™3.5ā€ and weight was 157.5 lbs this morning, age 33.
Ā§ Iā€™ve been racing triathlon and road running events for a good 5 to 7 years, primarily short course triathlon and 5 to 10 km road running events with some XC and half marathons thrown in for variety.
Ā§ In the past, aside from having a sensitive stomach, the biggest challenge Iā€™ve faced in racing is debilitating side stitches that typically set in around 4ish miles in a 10 km road race. Iā€™ve tried a number of things as follow:
  • Ensuring proper hydration and electrolytes in the days leading up to the race.
  • Rarely eating anything before an early morning race so there is no diversion of blood flow to the stomach to assist with digestion during the race.
  • Muscle relaxant cream on the stitch area prior to the race in hopes that this would relax things.
  • Deep breathing or self-massage once the stitch sets in during the race.

Ā§ In the testing period, I completed a couple half marathons, more as progression workouts, a number of bike sessions on the trainer and pool swims, and twice weekly track run sessions in addition to more aerobic type efforts scattered around these key sessions.

A. Used the product as instructed: I routinely used Hotshot prior to hard tempo runs and track intervals, 10 to 15 minutes before starting my warm up.
B. Modified product use: I only tried Hotshot once post workout and I have to say that I did feel a little bit better throughout the day (less soreness, fatigue, decent energy) where it was suggested to take before and after training.
C. Taste: Taste is very strong, not even sure how to describe it, maybe somewhat spicy, it would linger for 10ish minutes or so and then it would completely go away with no ill effects on my stomach or otherwise. I cannot say that I enjoyed the taste, but I didnā€™t dislike it to the extent that it would ever deter me from wanting to use Hotshot.
D. Digestibility: There was only one run where I had a little bit of an off feeling in my stomach, not an immediate GI issue, but just an unsettled feeling, but I would attribute this to perhaps a bit too much fiber in the dinner the night before as the wife experience the same without taking Hotshot in the morning.
E. Convenience: Relatively easy to use, presuming that you remove the plastic sell on the outside of the camp the night before and toss it in the fridge so then you can simply unscrew it and it is ready to go. I think it would be a bit more difficult to use during a race, however, no issues with taking it as part of the pre-workout prep.
F. Cramp: In my testing, never did I once experience a cramp, and during hard track sessions, I would say that my legs felt a bit better towards the end than they otherwise would without Hotshot. Sometimes the lactic acid build up can almost feel like the early stages of what might trigger a cramp, but I would say that I felt this somewhat less on days that I took Hotshot prior to a hard track set. In my testing, I never had a side stitch either, however, I typically get these in racing far more frequently than training, so the jury is still out. I have a XC race this weekend and then a 10 km road race in a little under 3 weeks, so weā€™ll see how they go. Iā€™ll take Hotshot before the XC race and if all goes well, Iā€™d like to use it before the 10 km race too.
G to L. NA
M. Perceived energy: No perceptible difference.
N. Workout intensity: No perceptible difference.
O. Perceived effort: No perceptible difference.
P. Recovery: See comments under ā€œBā€, it did seem a little bit better on the day that I took Hotshot post track workout, whether this was because of the product or a number of other factors is uncertain (nutrition and everything else on the day was essentially the same).
Q. Soreness: Similar comments to recovery, throughout the rest of the day I felt like I had less muscle soreness during regular activities, however, I guess the test would have been trying another run or ride later in the day.

Perhaps I'll report back after racing this weekend on side stitches...
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Testing Call For Reviews: HOTSHOT [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:

I have been competing in triathlon for 17 years. Im 35yr old, 6ā€™0 168lbs. I swam in college, am an adequate runner on its own (sub 1:30 half marathon, sub 19 5k) and have ridden 2:20 for a HIM. For some reason, though I have frequently cramped in races getting off the bike. I normally target short course but will frequently have long runs and long bikes thrown in. Lately I have ended the season with 1 long course race (AC 70.3 this year).

a. I used the product as instructed. At the beginning, yes.
b. I modified product use (please explain): I was hit by a car 4 weeks ago and all training moved inside ,and was very low intensity. Figured I would try to race at AC... but I had only been using hotshot for 4 or 5 workouts + 1 race during that time
Taste: Iā€™ve grown to like it.
d. Digestibility: It takes me like 15 minutes to settle in my stomach. The one sprint race I did with this, I took a shot near the end of the bike, in prep for the runā€¦ having a couple miles to settle before I started running worked great.
e. Convenience: Just remember to remove the plastic wrapperā€¦ then its easy
f. Cramping: Experienced one or more bouts of muscle twitching and 1 cramp. Toes and feet began cramping in Bike- Swim ā€“ Bike workout. Took the hotshot and it went away immediately. In another workout felt a cramp coming on in my calves, 3hr into a workout, with an hour workset leftā€¦ Took a shot and it was fixed.
g. Perceived energy: When taken before bike workouts, I donā€™t ā€œfeelā€ more energetic, but my watts just seem to be higher. I was hoping the same would be true for track work running, but that wasnā€™t the case.
h. Workout intensity: Sustained a higher intensity than usual on the bike

i. Perceived effort: __ No noticeable change

j. Recovery: No noticeable change ā€¦ but I tend to recover quickly.

k. Soreness: No noticeable change... maybe it was a little better? but can't really tell.

Other comments:
Hotshot is definitely part of my toolkit going forward. I started my race at AC yesterday (but bailed halfway through the bike with still some lingering effects of the car hit). In one other race I used it throughout. I definitely believe in the priming effect and taking one between the swim and ride seems to pay dividends. I have not cramped during a race yet, but I did ā€œpre-treatā€ during a sprint earlier this year. This product definitely works as advertisedā€¦ I do need to take it easy if I take it running because I do have a little trouble with some GI comfort for about 10 minutes.

I think my use case going forward is: Emergency shot carried with me during most works and races, 1 after the swim in a race, 1 before the run. If pricing were different, I would probably add in shots before bike workouts , but the price seems a bit much for me, for that.

Here's a Discount Code for Slowtwitchers, good til the end of 2017
Code: TWITCH50
50% off your first 6-pack
Code expires 12/31/2017
Shipping is free. Offer valid in the US only.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a 28yr old male, 5'11 and 170ish lbs - former football player turned endurance athlete. This is my 5th year of competing in triathlon. Prior to that I was mainly a runner, sticking to 1/2 and full marathons for the most part. My goal race for this year was IM Wisconsin, and I also did a couple of triathlons to build up to the full. This was my 4th IM finish to go along with a couple 70.3s and Olympic distance races over the last few years. As a runner, I frequently experience cramping in my hamstrings over the last 10k of a marathon and as a triathlete I have experienced frequent hamstring cramps on the run, but also more recently in the latter portions of the swim (hamstring and also arch).

a. I used the product as instructed: Initially
b. I modified product use: After some initial use, I did not take a HOTSHOT post workout as I was not noticing any benefit.
c. Taste: The first time I tasted the product, I was a bit taken aback by how strong it was, but I didn't mind it. Each time I took one the shock factor became less and less. The taste sticks with you for awhile, so I tried to follow it up with a sip or two of water.
d. Digestibility: I never had any issues with digestibility. Late in races, I tend to have problems stomaching other fueling items - gels, bars, etc., but never had any GI issues with the product.
e. Convenience: I would say it's extremely easy to use - the only issue for me from a convenience standpoint is carrying them. It's a bit more difficult to fit into a bento box on the bike than a gel or a salt product, but part of that is probably just my setup. Like others have said, if you prep it ahead of time and take off the plastic seal, it's extremely easy to use.
f. Cramping: I never experienced cramps while training with the product. I did however experience some cramping while racing.
g. Cramp location: Hamstring - right side only
h. Cramp intensity: Fairly severe - the last 500m or so of the swim I was forced to use all arms as my hamstrings were seizing. After taking a second HOTSHOT before getting on the bike I experience another bout of cramping about 25 miles in where I actually had to get off the bike and stretch for a bit for fear of it seizing up on a climb.
i. Cramp duration: Short, but would come back several times.
j. Cramp frequency: Cramped several times - once I took the product they did seem to subside, so it may be more a matter of getting my timing of taking the product down.
k. Cramp outcome: Was able to continue on in my race and actually had no cramping issues whatsoever on the run.
l. Product effect on cramping: Once I took the product, the cramps subsided quickly, however, they did come back about an hour into the bike as I mentioned.
n. Workout intensity: No noticeable change
o. Perceived effort: No Noticeable Change
p. Recovery: Did not notice any effects on recovery
q. Soreness: Did not notice any effects related to soreness
r. Other comments: I think this is a good product - personally, I think I need to figure out how to better utilize it to make it even more effective. I'm not sure about the recovery claims, but maybe I just need to utilize the product as instructed for a longer period of time. I know a lot of people don't like the taste - but it's easy enough to get down for me and once you get used to it, not all that bad. I will continue to use the product and would recommend it to others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:

I think the majority of cramps yes are the above. I have seen few cases where electrolytes are a little wonky. Regardless the sure fire way to get people to cramp is to do a session that over extends the athletes then throw them in a cold pool for a fast swim.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Reviews: HOTSHOT Discount Code [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GENERAL

ABOUT HOTSHOT

• Taste
  • Energy levels
  • Digestability

HotShot Review

I am a 24 year old male who trains for halfs and fulls, at a competitive rate. I often deal with cramping in swimming and occasionally during bike and run work outs. I live in high heat and elevation and feel this is part of the reason why, I usually work to combat them by using plenty of fluid and electrolyte. During the test period as Ironman Santa Rosa and 70.3 World Championships.

I followed the directions exactly, taking it before work outs and races. I found the taste to be a bit harsh, like a shot of fireball, but with out the positive effects of actually having any fireball. I didnt notice any specific energy level changes, other than the fact that on early morning sessions it would wake you up real quick due to it being a shock to my normal morning drink which is coffee. As far as digestibility goes, I found after about 10 minutes I was all set, ignoring the occasional hick ups that would result it was fine before work outs. This however was not true DURING work outs. During Ironman Santa Rosa I attempted to take one during the run portion, and found my self bent over vomititing just a few steps later. It wasn't that it was harsh on my stomach, I dont think, It was that the harsh taste was not something I could handle at that moment.

But here is why you are reading this. Cramp Prevention. I found that when using this product, I did not cramp during swimming. Period. This is a huge change from my normal routine of always cramping during hard pool or open water workouts.

Overall, Yes, the product does work, however I found it impossible to take during hard work outs. However when used before work outs it has been great.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutrition Reviews: HOTSHOT Discount Code [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a quick update with my use on a local 70.3:

I took a bottle with some gel about 20 min before the swim. My swim fitness has fallen since my IM because I've been transitioning to the run season and swimming a lot less. I couldn't swim hard, so cramping wasn't an issues.

I forgot to take off the wrapper when setting up T1, so I just shoved it into my pocket. I didn't take it until halfway through the ride. It was a super windy course so I had to wait for spot where it was calm so that I could unwrap comfortably. I had a lot of twinges of legs (upper and lower), but they never developed in to any cramps. I was able to push through them without slowing down much.

As soon as I got off the bike my right anterior tibialis was super tight and every step hurt. I kept slowing down which only helped a little bit. I thought I would give hotshot a try. I'm not sure if it was slowing down, pushing through, hotshot or the combo of the 3, but by 3.5 miles it loosened up. I maintained by goal place for the rest of the run.

After using hotshot for the second time in a race, I'm used to the spiciness and barely noticed it.
Quote Reply