Prev Next
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
imsparticus wrote:
Is there just less interest in Ironman events, or has ST "jumped the shark?"

I think IMFL has jumped the shark

I wouldn't blame it on IMFL. It is still one of the most popular Ironman events. It just takes a lot longer to sell out than it did when it had no real competition.

I live outside of Tampa. Eleven years ago when I started doing Ironman events, Lake Placid was the second closest Ironman (IMFL was obviously the closest). Now Cozumel, Louisville, Texas, Chattanooga, and Maryland are all closer than Lake Placid. People in the Southeast have a lot more options.

that's kinda what I was getting at... nothing against IMFL or any of the people or clubs doing it. In fact, it's on my list to do someday.

But it's definitely not what it used to be, both in terms of prestige and access. IMAZ seems to have taken over the fall IM KOM and all the other closer ones that are available now are pretty cool in their own rights... Cozumel with the resort vacation feel, Chattanooga and KY with the cool downtowns, TX with the NA Champs, extra slots, and cool venue, etc.

But anyway, rock on to everyone racing!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every year in the past they have had a bike shop at the expo. There is also one about a quarter mile away in a tent. You should not have a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It also used to be the case that you needed to sit by your computer and try and enter as soon as the race opened up. These days, not so much. IMFL was my first IM back in 2003 and I think I entered it sometime in late November. By 2006 or 2007, if you waited 1 day, you were SOL. Now, I think you can enter pretty much any time. It's been interesting to watch the "progress" of the brand and the race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
General question - Does anyone know, when the Tri-Bike Transport bikes will be showing up at the event?

Is there a bike-shop, who will possibly be in the Expo who will be doing mechanical pre-race work on bikes?

I'm going back a few years, now, but Inside-Out-Sports used to do this.

I don't know the arrival date (maybe we get an email like I did when it was picked up), but TBT told me there was no pickup available until around noon Wednesday.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leaving Ohio on Tuesday. Good thing cause it’s 36 degrees here. My 2nd trip to IMFL and love the venue. Wife loves the beach. It does put a hampering on my deer hunting though😁
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Installed new bearings and end caps today. I am all set with my wheel. Thanks for the kind offer and have a great race!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. It’s 44° this morning in Panama city beach. Water temperature is already down 72.3°.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the weather forecast the next few days in the mid 70s and some highs of 80 degree, water temp should go back up. Still think it will be wetsuit legal but I would be prepared for both.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They can get creative at where they take the temperature reading. ;)

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [psychosyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water temperature is 72.1° right now and it is supposed to drop into the high 40s tonight. I think the chances of it not being wetsuit legal are pretty slim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump because I am pretty excited about this race.

We are heading up to PCB this afternoon. Have a great race everybody!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leaving tomorrow from the ATL... the drive down will probably be the worst part of the weekend (I hope, knock on wood). There is no easy, fast way, to get there.

First (and last) IM for me!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Leaving tomorrow from the ATL... the drive down will probably be the worst part of the weekend (I hope, knock on wood). There is no easy, fast way, to get there.

First (and last) IM for me!!

^ No one likes a quitter....
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone says "one and done" before they do their first. I sure thought it. But after finishing IM Louisville I know I'll do another.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Ironman Florida [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flew in last year from Atlanta to Panama City Beach. Not expensive. Rent a car and you are set.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply

Prev Next