Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread)
Quote | Reply
Who do people fancy for the men's and women's races for this? I made quite a bit of money betting on ITU last year, it seems the bookies don't know all they should and always slip up and leave someone at long odds they shouldn't.

Vicky Holland at 8/1 is the immediate bet that springs out at me, anyone know what fitness level she's at right now? Could be very good value EW with that.

Flora Duffy at 6/1
J.Brownlee at 4/1 are two others could be worth a punt.

Here is the men's race preview....

For the eighth time in World Triathlon Series history, elites head back to Japan to compete in the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Yokohama. Celebrating one of the cities that was one of our first, Yokohama hosts the third stop of the 2017 Series and second standard-distance race of the year.

Always drawing large crowds, Yokohama continues to be a fan and athlete-favorite event. This year, the men’s field returns to battle it out once again in the Harbour.

Topping the men’s start list is the current WTS rankings leader Javier Gomez Noya (ESP). After winning in the season opening race in Abu Dhabi, Gomez proved he is back in action after missing a large part of the 2016 year. Just missing the podium in Gold Coast by coming in fourth, Gomez has a good relationship with Yokohama and has won in the Japanese city both in 2014 and 2015. So, winning for a third time at the same venue could be in the cards for the Spaniard this weekend.

That is of course if he can get by his fellow Spanish compatriots Fernando Alarza and Mario Mola. Alarza outsprinted Gomez on the blue carpet in Gold Coast and continues to prove he is not just the young Spaniard anymore, but rather a threat to some of the older veterans such as Gomez. And of course there is Mola, the current reigning ITU World Champion, who also won in Yokohama last year. He also got back on the leaderboard when he was victorious in Gold Coast, a win he earned on his 50th WTS race of his career.

However, there is one man returning to the WTS who wants to stop the Spanish winning streak. Great Britain’s Jonathan Brownlee is set to race in Yokohama for his first ITU appearance since the infamous Cozumel Grand Final. The World Champion runner-up last season and Olympic silver medallist, fans have been eagerly awaiting the return of Brownlee and to see him seek revenge on the world crown he just nearly missed last year.

While older brother Alistair Brownlee is mostly focusing on new distance races this season, Jonny will be teaming up with training partner Richard Varga (SVK) to hit up the circuit together. Varga is a top swimmer and therefore is likely to make the lead bike pack, where he and Jonny can make their moves.

Brit Tom Bishop also returns to race in Yokohama after earning his first WTS medal in Abu Dhabi.

Aussies Jacob Birtwhistle and Ryan Baile are top contenders for the weekend. Birtwhistle is one of Australia’s young talent, who qualified for the 2018 Commonwealth Games by finishing fifth in Gold Coast. Baile is a talent on the bike and usually has a good finish.

Other names to watch this weekend include men who have had past success in Yokohama. Last year Norway’s Kristian Blummenfelt and Mexico’s Crisanto Grajales debuted on their first WTS podiums in Yokohama. Joao Silva (POR) won in Yokohama in 2011 an 2012, while Russian Alexander Bryukhankov made podium in 2011 as well.

Women's....

In the third stop of the 2017 World Triathlon Series the elites head to Japan to return to the familiar event of the 2017 ITU World Triathlon Yokohama. Last year Yokohama played the home to the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic qualifying event for many nations, but this season the Japanese harbor city returns to host the second standard-distance race of the year. As one of the athlete-favourite events on the WTS calendar, many popular names will be debuting to the WTS circuit to compete in their first event of the 2017 season.

One of those names is the 2016 reigning ITU World Champion, Flora Duffy (BER). After being forced to pull her name off the start list in both Abu Dhabi and Gold Coast this season due to injury, Duffy is finally ready to line up this weekend to begin her quest of reclaiming her world title. Duffy’s cinderella story was realized last year when she claimed four WTS podiums and two victories that aided in the seizing of the world crown for the first time for the small Caribbean-island woman. So after having to miss out on the first two WTS competitions of the season, Duffy is eager to get back on the blue carpet.

But possibly Duffy’s biggest threat to her crown this year is Kiwi Andrea Hewitt, who has staked claims on the overall Series gold after she won both races this season in Abu Dhabi and Gold Coast. Hewitt has been unstoppable so far, proving that she is the top competitor in both a sprint and standard-distance setting. Her confidence and fitness in all three disciplines has been evident this year, so it is no surprise that she once again will enter Yokohama wearing the golden number one. And if she does snag another WTS gold, she will earn her second Yokohama victory after she won in the same venue back in 2011.

Great Britain fans will be delighted to see both Non Stanford and Vicky Holland starting their WTS seasons this weekend. Stanford raced in the Chengdu World Cup last weekend and walked away with the gold medal, so she comes in on high regards and ready to gain success in the larger and tougher Series. While Holland planned to race in Chengdu as well, a sore calf left her to make the decision to pull out. But the Olympic bronze medallist is rested up and ready to embark on her 2017 race season.

As Yokohama always hosts one of the largest crowds of the season, the streets will be loud for Japan’s own Ai Ueda and Juri Ide. Ueda earned the bronze medal in Yokohama last year and took the silver medal in Yokohama in 2014. This season, while she has yet to make a podium she has shown strong running times, so it is only a matter of time before she steps up again. Ide on the other hand earned the bronze medal in Gold Coast this year. It was in 2009 that she also earned a bronze in Yokohama, so her reclaimed success could carry onto this weekend to get back on the podium.

USA will come stacked again with their roster of talent that has been dominating the nations this year. In Gold Coast, USA had three women in the top-ten with the top mark coming from Katie Zaferes. But Kirsten Kasper, Renee Tomlin and Summer Cook are putting up strong performances this season as well.

Of course the Aussies are another powerful nation with loads of talent. Charlotte McShane enters Yokohama with the highest ranking, but Gillian Backhouse and Ashleigh Gentle also enter with great success to be had this weekend. Gentle has one podium this year from Gold Coast and earned the silver medal in Yokohama last season, so she has the cards with her to continue her streak.
Last edited by: Jackets: May 10, 17 6:08
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After missing the first two races of the year due to injury I've got to think that both Flora and Jonny will be very hungry to score some big points here if they want to be in the hunt for the overall. With their top 5 normal season races plus Grand Final counting in the overall points there isn't a lot of wiggle room left for off races, illness or injury if either really wants to win the year. Andrea Hewitt has such a great start to the year I've got to think it will let her really race with abandon and expect another great performance coming due to her situation. I'll be watching:)

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vicky Holland had a minor calf injury is to why her odds are that long, maybe the bookies aren't as daft as I think!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Vicky Holland had a minor calf injury is to why her odds are that long, maybe the bookies aren't as daft as I think!

Perhaps it's a complete coincidence but the "up on their toes" running style that so many of the Leeds athletes seem to favor also seems to go along with a pretty high injury frequency.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Perhaps it's a complete coincidence but the "up on their toes" running style that so many of the Leeds athletes seem to favor also seems to go along with a pretty high injury frequency.

Maybe, she's actually not with the Leeds camp anymore though she's moved to Bath and is trained by her boyfriend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't Mola do well on this course because the bike is flat and non-technical and the pack come together so he gets an easy ride and fresh legs.

Ditto for Ueda, she's racing at home so will be peaked. Ide raced well this spring so should go good too. Maybe 2 Japanese women on the podium?

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't realize there was gambling on ITU races... That said, my picks for Yokohama

Men:
1. Mola
2. Brownlee
3. Gomez

Women:
1. Hewitt
2. Stanford
3. Duffy

Too many cobwebs to shake out for Brownlee and Duffy to win the race, but they will be in the mix. Mola is my pick, simply because the course is not difficult enough to expose his weaknesses, which is why he has a strong track record on it... That said, without Richard Murray on the start list, that's one missing big engine from the second bike pack to help Mola bridge to the Brownlee/Gomez/Varga group... I think it will be tight between Hewitt and Stanford for the win, and could go either way... Ueda won't be far off either, and in the top 5 for sure (Zafares or Holland will likely take the other top 5 spot).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know Kristian Blummenfelt has had a training camp in altitude so he should be fit and ready to go.
Hopefully top 5 for him.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll revise my picks, since Gomez just had an emergency root canal... he's still lining up, but unlikely to be on full form... Push everyone up a spot, and add Blumenfelt or Alarza to the top 5
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going with Stanford, Gentile, and Duffy. Wildcard pick for Cook.
In the men's race: Mola, JB, Birtwhistle. And soon to be slowtwitch favorite Matt McElroy as my long shot!
I think the ladies race will just be a strength race, I'm just not sure how strong the Brits and Duffy are right now, nor how strong Cook is against a strong field. I think the boys race will all come together. I know they think they added some "technical" elements but I just don't see enough power at the front of the race to stay away.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saw the course preview yesterday of the new course. more technical than before. May make it more difficult for someone like Mola to bridge if he misses the lead group off the bike. several out and back stretches where you can monitor the gaps between the groups.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any other strong cyclists likely to be in the 2nd pack to help Mola out in Murrays absence?

Ueda is at 14/1 could be worth an EW bet .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends how big the front pack is. Birtwhistle was the fastest in the bike time trial of all the ITU guys, 2 seconds behind Cam Dye or 2nd place. Blummenfeldt is normally a 2nd packer too, often Bailey as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For guys that sleep in altitude tents it's hard for me to believe it took so many years for the Brownlees to figure out it might be important to train in heat and humidity in order to perform well in heat and humidity. Kind of a "no duh" concept.

"BBC Weather forecasts a comfortable 18C for Yokohama on raceday, but Brownlee is hoping extra heat training will pay off in the future, if not in Japan.

"Heat is obviously something that, as a pasty Yorkshireman, I'm not too good at. I know it's a weakness and after Cozumel one of the first things I did was ask a doctor how to solve this," he said.

"In October-November I went down to train with the British Navy in Portsmouth. One of the big things they taught me was to spend more time in hot and humid conditions.

"I've converted my conservatory in to a kind of heat chamber. Mine gets up to about 37C so I can sweat away in there on a turbo trainer and get used to Yokohama.

"Hopefully it's going to make a big difference because one thing I told myself after Cozumel was I'd be stupid if I didn't get used to the heat, or at least try and do something about it."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
For guys that sleep in altitude tents it's hard for me to believe it took so many years for the Brownlees to figure out it might be important to train in heat and humidity in order to perform well in heat and humidity. Kind of a "no duh" concept.

"BBC Weather forecasts a comfortable 18C for Yokohama on raceday, but Brownlee is hoping extra heat training will pay off in the future, if not in Japan.

"Heat is obviously something that, as a pasty Yorkshireman, I'm not too good at. I know it's a weakness and after Cozumel one of the first things I did was ask a doctor how to solve this," he said.

"In October-November I went down to train with the British Navy in Portsmouth. One of the big things they taught me was to spend more time in hot and humid conditions.

"I've converted my conservatory in to a kind of heat chamber. Mine gets up to about 37C so I can sweat away in there on a turbo trainer and get used to Yokohama.

"Hopefully it's going to make a big difference because one thing I told myself after Cozumel was I'd be stupid if I didn't get used to the heat, or at least try and do something about it."

You have to wonder how much more dominant the Brownlee's would be if ITU races were done in cold shitty weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's kinda irrelevant in that generally races aren't in cold/shitty weather. Or shall I say you want an sport to be even more irrelevant, put the majority of races in cold, shitty weather.

ETA: I think itu does good job of creating series that cuts out extreme weather as being a factor for the majority of its races. There is a reason why San Diego was first of may, why Sweden is middle of summer, etc. so that the extreme conditions can be limited as much as possible. But keep in mind triathlon by its very nature is an "warm" temperature sport. You can't have a successful sport and it be done in 52 c rainy weather year round. It just won't become popular, and people want buy into supporting itu etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 12, 17 6:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

Well you've got to remember that they don't like flying half way around the world unnecessarily. From the age of about 16 to 22 they've had massive volumes of training primarily centred around Leeds, and that definitely helped their biking tremendously. Since then they've done the altitude training at St. Moritz which obviously worked for London, and for Rio they did a lot of their heat work in the sauna and heat chambers (which also worked). In the winter they do often do fairly regular trips out to Spain, although it's not particularly humid there. But I do think before they've experienced that flying around the world can hamper their performance and they definitely prefer to be based in Europe.

I do agree though looking forward to 70.3/Kona and Tokyo 2020 the heat and humidity is definitely going to be a factor. So it will be interesting to see if they do any 6 week blocks of training in particularly hot and humid places.
Last edited by: messien: May 12, 17 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the women's, Lucy Hall and Jessica Learmoth are starting - typically they like to get away with Flora Duffy on the swim and build it on the bike - I doubt the Brits have been told not to help Flora, like in Leeds - Cook will probably exit the swim with them, but she's still quite weak on the bike and will be dropped quickly - Zafares may exit the swim with them too, but she's iffy with her technical skills on the bike, and they won't want to get off the bike with her.

Predict those 3 get away and build 90 seconds by T2 with this new more technical course, good enough for Flora to stay on the podium and probably win, and the other 2 stay in the top 8.

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My predictions...Men's 1st Gomez 2nd Brownlee 3rd Mola

Women's 1st Duffy 2nd Stanford 3rd Hewitt

I think I'm going to have a bet on Stanford, at 5/1 seems the best value for money bet, Hewitt has looked very good but in quite weak fields so far, this is by far the strongest women's field of the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

I think I'm going to have a bet on Stanford, at 5/1 seems the best value for money bet, Hewitt has looked very good but in quite weak fields so far, this is by far the strongest women's field of the season.

Are you betting her 'each way', so if she finishes first or second you win?

Exactor boxing Duffy and Stanford would be a good bet - Duffy off the front, Stanford trying to run her down - but I don't see that option on Skybet.

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 ITU WTS Yokohama (Race day Thread) [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Are you betting her 'each way', so if she finishes first or second you win?

Exactor boxing Duffy and Stanford would be a good bet - Duffy off the front, Stanford trying to run her down - but I don't see that option on Skybet.

I've done Stanford for the win at 5/1 Ueda at EW at 14/1 and Brownlee for the win at 3/1 Skybet pay out EW if they podium.

To be honest there isn't any brilliant value bets this time round, possibly Holland at 9/1 she sounds like she's had a nightmare week though and possibly carrying a slight injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to piss down with rain in Yokohama tomorrow apparently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
It's going to piss down with rain in Yokohama tomorrow apparently.

Perfect Yorkshire weather then;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just clocked Schoeman at 16/1 if he can make that 1st pack with Brownlee and Gomez and draft, he's well capeble of running himself onto a podium maybe, well worth an EW bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two great races.
As a Norwegian Blummenfelt's third and Gustav Iden's 22nd was amazing.
Really strong riding from Iden, getting himself up to the first group.
Blummenfelt is a good runner.
Quote Reply

Prev Next