Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2017 Florida 70.3
Quote | Reply
First time doing FL 70.3 for me. Anyone know current water temp? I can't seem to find anything online. Was last year non-wetsuit?

Anyone notice in the athlete guide that the bike check-in on Saturday is optional? I've never heard of this being done at an IM branded race. It's always been required at every IM branded race I've done. Gives me one less thing to worry about on Saturday though. I'd much rather bring my bike with me on race day.

Swim Waves:
http://www.ironman.com/...ida%203%202%2017.pdf

Athlete Guide:
http://www.ironman.com/...0athlete%20guide.pdf

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year was wetsuit legal, year before was not. I checked bike in day of race. Goes very quickly and smoothly. You in 40-44AG?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks good to know.

I'm in 30-34.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good, was hoping you weren't in my AG. No idea on water temp but I will keep my ears open. This will be my third time.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Central Florida and current lake temps are in upper 60s.

Haines City is a bit further south, but not far.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Last edited by: way2sloow: Mar 7, 17 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your gut feeling on wetsuit legal? And I'm gonna hold you to it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2013 & last year. No wet suits in '13, wetsuits were allowed last year. But it was held in May in 2013. My guess is its likely to be wet suit legal...but that's just a guess. But the time I gained wearing a wet suit was deleted by the big staple I managed to get in my rear tire around mile 35....still its a pretty good race, enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Anyone notice in the athlete guide that the bike check-in on Saturday is optional? I've never heard of this being done at an IM branded race. It's always been required at every IM branded race I've done. Gives me one less thing to worry about on Saturday though. I'd much rather bring my bike with me on race day.

For IM 70.3 races, many details are left up to the RD. I believe TomZ is involved in FL 70.3 as well as Steelhead 70.3. Saturday bike check in is optional at Steelhead 70.3 as well.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
stevej wrote:

For IM 70.3 races, many details are left up to the RD. I believe TomZ is involved in FL 70.3 as well as Steelhead 70.3. Saturday bike check in is optional at Steelhead 70.3 as well.

Good to know. I should do more TomZ races.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had to guess, being early April, I'd say it'll still be under 78. But who knows. We've been having pretty warm weather all winter, and the water temps haven't been bad at all.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That particular lake is very very shallow. Air temperatures the week prior to the race will determine whether or not the swim is wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am Sebring fl about 45 min. south. Warm winter been swimming in lake Denton without a wetsuit for a couple weeks. Denton is much deeper than Hanes city. If the weather cools down maybe wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Though, I only started training in earnest last week, so I doubt it will be much of a performance.

Wetsuit legal, right now I'd say no, but it's all speculation. One cool aspect of the race is that there's a 25-yard pool right next to transition that they allow us to use for warm-up.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't you just have a kid recently? I'm sure that's taking up most of your time.

I've read a few RR mentioning the pool. That's very convenient.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
I'm in. Though, I only started training in earnest last week, so I doubt it will be much of a performance.

Wetsuit legal, right now I'd say no, but it's all speculation. One cool aspect of the race is that there's a 25-yard pool right next to transition that they allow us to use for warm-up.

Good luck!
Dumb question - you can use it morning of the race to warm up?

I knew you could use it the day before, which was a hilarious experience having the pool goers go back and forth across the pool (sans lane lines) - great practice for mass starts.

SteveJ,

Congrats on a great race in Miami. Originally from Jupiter area, and heard your name before from Kurt Barnhill and Mark Swart - will have to try and find you before the race (because god knows I won't see you during).

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savage8778 wrote:

SteveJ,

Congrats on a great race in Miami. Originally from Jupiter area, and heard your name before from Kurt Barnhill and Mark Swart - will have to try and find you before the race (because god knows I won't see you during).

Thank you for the kind words. I don't know Kurt and Mark personally, but have heard/seen their names before.

I'm bib #169. Stop by and say hello before/after..... hopefully there is beer waiting for us after we finish. It's always fun meeting other ST'ers.

I'm probably going to try to do the practice swim on Saturday just as an FYI.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savage8778 wrote:
eganski wrote:

Good luck!

Dumb question - you can use it morning of the race to warm up?

I knew you could use it the day before, which was a hilarious experience having the pool goers go back and forth across the pool (sans lane lines) - great practice for mass starts.

SteveJ,

I did the race last year, and the pool was open for warmups. Surprisingly few people used it, though! I guess swimming with gators and snakes didn't need a warmup.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm bib # 33. Now, if I can only get over this nasty cold I brought home from my recent travels.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in too! AG 30-34 definitely not a contender for top spots though!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [trimarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [skgunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will be a gigantic wetsuit wave at the end of the swim start if temperatures stay where they are now!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [japarker24] [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
stevej wrote:

Muncie is optional day before the race as well. however they say that 70-80% still rack the day before.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Florida 70.3 [skgunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I saw that website but it does not look like a legit website that is actively measuring the water temperature. Seems to me it's just an assumption based off the weather.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well ran. Lots of corners on a rolling course. The run can get a little warm but it is Florida. What nobody is going to talk about the alligators and crocodiles ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Thanks good to know.

I'm in 30-34.

Me too. And probably well behind as well. Should be a fun race.

How prevalent are gators there? I can never tell if people are being sarcastic or not. I've never had an issue with open water swimming but that might be a reason for me to start having issues...

Prev Next