Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2016 Zipp Wheels - Cheaper and 10-42 compatible
Quote | Reply
Price drop in the Firecrest lineup, plus the ability to swap out the cassette body to work with their massive 10-42t 1x cassette.

http://www.bikeradar.com/...-much-cheaper-45104/

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Zipp Wheels - Cheaper and 10-42 compatible [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uggh. I just bought a pair of 2015 FC 404s earlier this week. I got a lower price than the $2000 referenced here in this article. If $2000 is the new MSRP, where should these things be expected to sell, given that Zipps usually are available for 20-25% less than MSRP? Should I return what I bought? I was feeling so good about my new set until now.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Zipp Wheels - Cheaper and 10-42 compatible [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm digging the 10-42 compatibility. That tells me SRAM is going all in on 1x drivetrains (they own Zipp).
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Zipp Wheels - Cheaper and 10-42 compatible [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the lower prices don't take effect until October, I'd say you need to just get over it haha.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That should knock the bottom out of the used market. It's been pretty common to grab a set of very lightly used 404 FC clinchers for $1500. That should easily drop to $1000-1200 soon.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Zipp Wheels - Cheaper and 10-42 compatible [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just realized.... All SRAM road/tri shifters use 'Exact Actuation' while the mtb rear derailleurs capable of using the 10-42 1x cassette use 'X Actuation'

Are these two cross compatible, or is there something in works? Maybe all these fancy terminologies and technologies are getting the best of me.

Rapp... halp?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure they use different pull ratios. SRAM might be thinking more along the lines of 10-36 with a long cage road dérailleur rather than 10-42. IIRC, the XD driver is more about enabling the 10 ring than the 42.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Zipp released the wheels yesterday. I called a couple large online retailers, and they did not know when they might get them. Where is the best place to go for the first batch of these? LBS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess would be wait until October/November.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends when the retailer orders them. zipp is shipping the new "v3" firecrest wheels as of yesterday.

as for XD-R and 10-42 cassettes, the new Force 1 and Rival 1 Long Cage RDs and 11 speed shifters are exact actuation and all part of the x sync 1x sram road system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Just realized.... All SRAM road/tri shifters use 'Exact Actuation' while the mtb rear derailleurs capable of using the 10-42 1x cassette use 'X Actuation'

Are these two cross compatible, or is there something in works? Maybe all these fancy terminologies and technologies are getting the best of me.

Rapp... halp?

X Actuation and Exact Actuation are NOT compatible. They have different pull ratios.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to put a mtn bike derailleur on a road bike, you just need to get a 10 speed one. All the road shifters have the same pull ration (exact actuation), but the 11 speed mtb parts have x-actuation. You can pick up an XX,X0,X9,GX, etc. 10 speed mtb rear derailleur and be good to go.

Not sure if any of those will clear the 42t big cog though...

But they will be a lot cheaper than a new Force 1 rear derailleur.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply