Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers)
Quote | Reply
Women's TTT to start soon, mens an hour after.

Women Boels Dolmans? Seems whoever Specialized sponsors in the women's always bosses the TTT.

Mens...hard to look past BMC. I think Etixx will disappoint with Orica and Sky the likely podium spots, maybe Jumbo or Movistar could surprise.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
significantly cooler today than yesterday and friday

always a chance it warms up again this time of year. heat for the TT will be less of an issue than the winds, but for the RR on the 16th if its as hot as it was on Friday it will be difficult

traffic is absolutely mental - as an aside - all the people that live at the Pearl where all the laps are, have to be out of their houses and off the pearl by 7am and are not allowed back till 5.30........that would be annoying........
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes. I was wondering, who lives there? It looks like hotels along the big roads with villas at the waterfront? The desolation out on the course so far is unsurprising but pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the problem is that where the course has been set out there are no homes

the pearl on the other hand is quite busy ordinarily but everyone is currently at work and can not go home till 5.30 when the roads are released

its also still quite hot to be hanging around outside.........

I'll watch it on tv, but will go up to start next weekend
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. TTs ofcourse not the most spectatorfriendly either.

Boels owned the womens, despite Canyon going out faster.

On the mens its pretty close at the first time check except Orica and esp Movistar trailing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they don't even have some of the best riders as they are riding Paris Tours
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big day for Etixx, TTT world champ and Paris Tours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apparently all the women's teams had members with medical heat issues by the end. I always thought it was an advantage to be lighter for this issue - was it actually cooler during the men's event? http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ens-team-time-trial/
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was not hot today but I am not surprised at all that the women had problems setting off earlier.

the problem is that they should have had all the races in the morning - all of them

noon here is the worst, partly due to the temps, but more to do with the angle of the sun - you literally just bake. Mid-afternoon is better as the sun is setting at 5, so quite low from 3-5pm

if it warms up, or even stays as it is for the RR's - the temp's on the pearl can be pretty warm due to the concrete radiating heat
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
they don't even have some of the best riders as they are riding Paris Tours

Who didn't? And yes I will eat crow for etixx.

One of the twenty16 riders blowing chunks 10m before the finish...instant classic! Kittel and Martin were wearing camelbaks, maybe others too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mainly thinking Tom Boonen here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Women's TTT to start soon, mens an hour after.

Women Boels Dolmans? Seems whoever Specialized sponsors in the women's always bosses the TTT.

Mens...hard to look past BMC. I think Etixx will disappoint with Orica and Sky the likely podium spots, maybe Jumbo or Movistar could surprise.

What's the scoop on the Vino4Ever team that I see in the standings?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWoo wrote:
apparently all the women's teams had members with medical heat issues by the end. I always thought it was an advantage to be lighter for this issue - was it actually cooler during the men's event? http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ens-team-time-trial/

Reading this article sounds like an absolute disaster. Heat exhaustion can kill you. Medical taking 15-20 minutes to get to affected riders? Riders with heat stroke getting back on their bike so their team has enough riders to finish?

What the hell is the world championships doing in Qatar anyway? The UCI says it will shorten races as necessary? Well, racing in the desert and this wasn't predictable? Why on earth is the WC here in the first place?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you can figure out why it is here. I do not think anyone would need to spell it out for you........

setting aside how it ended up here - in principle, sports entering new markets that have interested audiences and cash is no bad thing, they may not be over-whelmed by it, but there are a group of young kids who train hard, have access to good resources and you have to start somewhere and being this close to it will only motivate them more

we know that MTM have been enormously influential for young eritreans (and actually after the brits in Qatar I suspect that they will be the largest group out supporting the cycling) and there involvement is only a good thing for cycling

had it been mid-late Nov or right at the start of the year in Jan / Feb it would have been / be perfect, but Oct is always variable, and it can be pleasant or deeply unpleasant and mid-day this week whilst cooler than last, is still F**king hot for people not used to it.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
we know that MTM have been enormously influential for young eritreans (and actually after the brits in Qatar I suspect that they will be the largest group out supporting the cycling) and there involvement is only a good thing for cycling.

Me?! Or does MTM mean something I'm not aware of?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
SWoo wrote:

Reading this article sounds like an absolute disaster. Heat exhaustion can kill you. Medical taking 15-20 minutes to get to affected riders? Riders with heat stroke getting back on their bike so their team has enough riders to finish?

What the hell is the world championships doing in Qatar anyway? The UCI says it will shorten races as necessary? Well, racing in the desert and this wasn't predictable? Why on earth is the WC here in the first place?

There are there because of $$$$$$$$ and he is bank rolling a WC team too.. so yeah $$$$$.

Bummer new debut of new BMC bike could only muster Silver... congrats to Etixx.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TT wins for Brandon Mcnulty and Amber Neben and a bronze for Ian Garrison. Almost 50k an hour for Mcnulty on junior gears 52x14 . Yikes!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [jellybelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amber Neben. cough cough...

what's up with all the 40-year old master racers coming back to take the win?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She is on a UCI womens team. Though the Doping ban was in 2003. That will always follow her. But the Women do not do this for money. She never raced Masters.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [jellybelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jellybelly wrote:
She is on a UCI womens team. Though the Doping ban was in 2003. That will always follow her. But the Women do not do this for money. She never raced Masters.

She also didn't "come back." She's been doing well in TT's for the past 15 years basically non-stop. It's not her first Worlds TT win either (2008)

Thought he doping thing should follow her. I've always thought thought that Hammer Nutrition excuse that whole group used was super sketchy and really flawed. No one ever found contaminated Hammer products except the one conveniently provided by a family member of one of the accused.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM Quebeca (spellling) - became dimension data - Cavendish's team..........not you.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
MTM Quebeca (spellling) - became dimension data - Cavendish's team..........not you.....

MTN Qhubeka :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quit posting here, and concentrate on your race! :-) Many of us will be watching and egging you on.

Best of luck to you - I'm hoping you catch Kueng, and then Dowsett!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 UCI Road World Championships Doha, Qatar (spoilers) [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will soon - data is crazy expensive so no more Internet when I get outside hotel WiFi :p

I think those are starting behind me? I look forward to full throttle in race setup on a highway in the dessert with tailwind. It's going to be crazy fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey that's cool to have someone racing the TT today on this thread, small world! Good luck today Martin.

Who does everyone have today? My heart says Dumoulin but he doesn't do so well in championship races. My mind is saying Dennis because of the heat, mainly because he's Australian, not because he has personally shown to be coping well in the heat. I think Tom and Tony will not do well in the heat, but they are generally better than Dennis over longer distances, although for a worlds TT 40k isn't crazy long. And Dumoulin did seem to do more than ok in the Vuelta heat last year (accepting that those two might not be apples to apples comparison)
Quote Reply

Prev Next