Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 Tour of Sufferlandria
Quote | Reply
The 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria has started! Who is in? There is another thread here with the route announcement video and some comments, but no thread for Slowtwitchers to report their participation and suffering. That's what this thread is intended to be.

Of course, this year's course is insufficiently hard, according to this Sufferlandrian (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hwl6kWRymg). I'm about to start ISLAGIATT in about 30 min. I have an additional challenge, courtesy of last night's modestly twisted ankle while trying to find AA batteries in the dark garage. But it's hardly swollen, so I should be just fine for nine consecutive days of suffering!
Last edited by: giorgitd: Feb 6, 16 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In...Did Islaggiat last night after work....Revolver X2 on deck in a bit. Good Luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the Tour as well. Did ISLAGIATT a few hours ago and my legs feel tired now...tomorrow should be very interesting. Good luck to everyone doing these rides.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I'm finished with ISLAGIATT - I've done it before, no surprises. I have my calendar cleared to get the weekday rides in - all are an hour or less except Tuesday's 90 min stage (TGTTOS). I can ride most days early or after work, but Monday is tricky as I'm on family duty dropping off boys to school at 7.00, a full day of work and then Boy Scouts for one son at 7.00p. I wrangled a mid-day schedule break, so I'll race home, do TBTITW, shower and get back to the office. Tricky, but the only way to get it done. Some stats of the ToS...9 stages with a total time of 743 minutes (12 h 23 m), or 83 min/day. From Trainerroad, the projected total TSS is 1046, or an average of 116/day.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [steve1128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve1128 wrote:
In...Did Islaggiat last night after work....Revolver X2 on deck in a bit. Good Luck!!

How in the world do you do Revolver twice? I assume you just don't hit the power numbers? I've done Revolver lots of times and am lucky to hit the intervals as prescribed just doing the workout once.

Have fun and good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [ssmith2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm riding my Kickr in Erg mode. Absolutely kicked my ass and hung on for my life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve1128 wrote:
I'm riding my Kickr in Erg mode. Absolutely kicked my ass and hung on for my life.

That's impressive!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [ssmith2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for my first real indoor training ever.
(When you live in SoCal why ever ride indoors - it was 78 today)
I'm going a day ahead using the 50 hours rules.
Every stage is totally new to me.
Just got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, didn't get a chance to do a FTP test; so just going with 200. Maybe a bit low, but 9 days in a row will be tough no matter what.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh boy, ISLAGIATT was hard yesterday, but today I failed miserably on the 5th interval of Revolver. I'll give it another shot tonight, but will scale everything down to 90% (TrainerRoad, erg mode with a powermeter). I really don't see how anyone could to 2 x Revolver at 100% with an accurate FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in as well, did ISLAGIATT yesterday, it kicked my ass big time. Doing Revolver + Revolver after I finish my morning coffee. I'm planning to do the two back to back. I know that means I'll almost surely have to lower the power a bit at various points, but need to get it done this morning, and figure it'll be a better long workout that way anyway... :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In. First year participant (been out of country the week of the Tour previously). Did ISLAGIATT and very glad I got it over with early in the day. Took a good hard nap in the afternoon. Revolver+Revolver as soon as I get the kids sorted out.....
Last edited by: Asilverm1970: Feb 7, 16 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, forget what I said about doing the two revolver workouts back to back...lol. Did the first one, stayed at full power on the kickr, but was near puke on the last two intervals.... :)

Kids here as well, so gonna hit the slopes for the afternoon, then second revolver tonight...
Last edited by: gibson00: Feb 7, 16 5:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to ride Revolver x 2 in about an hour. I'll be using a Tacx Vortex Smart controlled by Trainerroad, so also erg mode. I've done a bunch of Sufferfest videos previoulsy, but not Revolver. With an IF > 1.0 and a total duration (combined) of over 60 min, this should not be possible to accomplish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in for my third tour. ISLAGIATT kicked my ass yesterday but I do that workout all the time so I knew that was going to happen.

Double-revolver starting in about an hour. I have NO idea how I am going to get through it. I am a quivering puddle of jelly after that workout on the best of days, but twice? Glad I don't have ERG mode on my trainer to force me to a power curve. I expect the second revolver will devolve into a mess.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double-Revolver was quite possibly the most horrible thing I have ever done on a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Double-Revolver was quite possibly the most horrible thing I have ever done on a bike.

^^^^ Totally agree. That was the most difficult trainer ride I've ever had. ^^^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain the falling out between TR and Sufferfest? It seems pretty bitter from the words on the website.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
Can someone explain the falling out between TR and Sufferfest? It seems pretty bitter from the words on the website.

In a nutshell, two things:

1) The Sufferfest launched their own service that is very similar to TR. ANT+ interface to read your power/hr/cadence/etc and matches to the sufferfest workouts. Similar price.

2) Apparently some people thought that TR actually hosted and ran The Tour and that Sufferfest was just part of it, not realizing that TR was just a software interface "partner". The Sufferfest wanted to make sure it was clear that the Tour was their own thing, and not connected to TR in any significant way.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [FlannyOH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience seems equally horrible. I took a short break between sets to refill bottles and find a gel. The 1st interval of the 2nd set - well, I *knew* I was in trouble. The next few intervals, somewhat surprisingly, were not much worse, so, maybe just getting back into the swing of things after the 'cool-down' at the end of set #1 and the 'warm-up' at the start of set #2. The 2nd half of the second set - terrible. The last three or four intervals? Ugh. But, hey, I've earned the Super Bowl drinking and eating later today, so there's that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished TBTITW. At first glance, it didn't seem like it would be too bad. I even ate the left over chips from last night's superbowl before getting on the bike. The last 5 minute was a killer for me....the two worse moments were at the brief little dip in workload...in mind I had focused on getting to it, and then try and recover a bit before the final slopes...problem was that little dip was at 110%, a little high for active recovery...then the last 15 seconds of the workout currently hold the "most painful" moments of the tour title. No chips tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chbelair wrote:
Just finished TBTITW. At first glance, it didn't seem like it would be too bad. I even ate the left over chips from last night's superbowl before getting on the bike. The last 5 minute was a killer for me....the two worse moments were at the brief little dip in workload...in mind I had focused on getting to it, and then try and recover a bit before the final slopes...problem was that little dip was at 110%, a little high for active recovery...then the last 15 seconds of the workout currently hold the "most painful" moments of the tour title. No chips tomorrow!

If it's any consolation, the next stage is almost a rest day compared to the first 3. Enjoy stage 4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [CherryRedBib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to TGTTOS - I've never done it, but the 'profile' and the TSS/IF appear to be a bit of a rest. TBTITW was harder than I thought it would be - maybe just coming off Stages 1 and 2 made it a little tougher. But I agree that the last part of the last interval was pure sufferfest. Well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stage 4 was a walk in the park. I hate ISLAGIATT and would rather do Revolver + Revolver any day of the week than ISLAGIATTT. Stage 3, TBTITW hurt because of day 1 and 2 IMO. Stage 4 was a nice 1:30 recovery ride. I am not looking forward to Violator on day 8 i'll tell you that much. Happy Suffering!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished Stage 4 a couple of hours ago and could not agree more with the above post.
My legs were really beat and today was just what they needed. I've just really started on trainer workouts. Now I look forward to Saturday when I'm going to take a test day. <<< Edit, I meant REST DAY
Last edited by: Rumpled: Feb 9, 16 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bad moment in stage 3 during the last 5 minute 'climb' section. My legs were cooked and I reached down to lower the resistance a bit on the TR dial, but couldn't get the mouse pointer to work because sweat had splashed onto my laptop trackpad...lol....I did a slow 30-40 cadence grind through the last few minutes.
Agree that today's stage 4 was much easier, pretty boring.
Quote Reply

Prev Next