Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2016 Speed Concept Saddle Tilt Slipping
Quote | Reply
Howdy,

I searched the Speed Concept thread and couldn't find this issue.

In the last 2 races I've done, on rough roads, the saddle tilt on my 2016 Speed Concept 7.5 has slipped and tilted down. I believe that the torque is correct on the saddle bolt. The saddle is a Cobb Randee.

Riding on the same roads prior to the race I don't seem to have this problem. I may be riding more on the front of the saddle during the race, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas as to how to get this not to slip?

Thanks

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Speed Concept Saddle Tilt Slipping [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Believe" the torque is correct? You using a torque wrench?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

If it's the same "type" of saddle clamp as the 9.* Version 1s, I've seen it slip if you accidentally got any lube at all on the mating surfaces. Carl from Trek once told me that mountain bikers have been know to put some dirt on the mating surfaces during an emergency situation to bind thing up enough to get home. A dab of carbon assembly paste would help for certain if proper torque doesn't do the trick.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Speed Concept Saddle Tilt Slipping [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The torque spec I found was 5-7 newton-meters. I had tightened it, using a torque wrench, to 6. I just upped it to 7.

Thanks

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Speed Concept Saddle Tilt Slipping [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure of the difference between the version 1 and 2 saddle clamps. I'll have to check the mating surfaces to see if there is any lube on them. They haven't been exposed since the shop assembled the bike.

Thanks

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriScott wrote:
I'm not sure of the difference between the version 1 and 2 saddle clamps. I'll have to check the mating surfaces to see if there is any lube on them. They haven't been exposed since the shop assembled the bike.

Thanks

I imagine your clamping area looks something like the picture below but your seat post is one piece rather than 2 piece. If it is this style, a male cone shaped piece mates into a female cone shape on each side. If there is the least little bit of lube on the cone shaped surfaces they will slide too easily against each other and even the spec torgue won't hold the seat properly.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriScott wrote:
The torque spec I found was 5-7 newton-meters. I had tightened it, using a torque wrench, to 6. I just upped it to 7.

Thanks

On my 2017 the torque is "max 16 N-m". I did 14 and it's held fine. Mine is the aluminum post though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Speed Concept Saddle Tilt Slipping [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what mine looks like. Do you know the torque spec for it?

Thanks

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you remember where you found those torque values?

Thanks

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriScott wrote:
Do you remember where you found those torque values?

Thanks

Printed on top of the seat post clamp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to take off the saddle, but it says max torque is 16 n-m. I tightened it up and will try again. That seems like that could be the issue.

Thanks

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess it is. Especially if you were torquing to just 6Nm. Hope that's it and it was just an easy fix.
Quote Reply