Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 Specialized Allez Sprint
Quote | Reply
Anyone else see this yet? Pretty sweet to see the new aluminum shapes/technology coming out, in my opinion. This, as well as the new Giant Propel SLR alloy, seem like pretty attractive options for crits/road racing. Interested to see how far this aluminum trend goes.

http://www.bicycling.com/...ialized-allez-sprint

Last edited by: jhoj: Aug 19, 15 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: New Specialized Allez Sprint [jhoj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks nice. What is up with the cable to the rear brake?
Quote Reply
Re: New Specialized Allez Sprint [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the article it says the bike they tested was a pre-production model; I would guess that the exposed cable running underneath the top tube will be rerouted internally once the bike hits production. At least I would hope so.

Edited: Although looking at the junction between the seatstays/toptube/seat tube, it doesn't look like there's really a clean exit point for an internally-routed rear brake cable without having to bend the cable a considerable amount. Maybe it will stay external...
Last edited by: jhoj: Aug 19, 15 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Definitely an interesting option for aluminum on the market. Question is whether it can best the CAAD 12.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of pics.

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Allez Sprint [jhoj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wish they offered the Propel SLR and the aero Felt aluminum bike in the US. Perfect crit bikes. Maybe we'll start to see more aero aluminum frames soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very excited about this bike and already have a special project planned :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This new brewing class is perfectly sensible for racing bikes. Like others have said, wish they would all come to the US. I hope manufacturers keep the price point options reasonable on these.
Last edited by: JesseN: Aug 19, 15 17:25
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Allez Sprint [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the Allez Sprint use aero shaped tubing for headtube and downtube? Or is it meant to be pseudo-aero with the rear wheel cutout?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Allez Sprint [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMC has a new option as well. Saw that this evening, and it comes in at a helluva price point with 105.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Allez Sprint [Ahillock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at it, the downtube looks rather... round... and it looks huge. I'm a bit confused and disappointed by this. They hydro/air formed the tube (notice the flat spot for the water bottle cage) but it appears that it doesn't have a very aero profile in contrast to the seat tube. They easily could've made it more aero with a minimal compromise to the bike's stiffness.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Allez Sprint [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you that they definitely have the technology/resources to make it more aero than it appears from the photos posted. That being said, I understand why Specialized might do it the way they did----the Allez Sprint frame is about as aero as it gets for aluminum road bikes currently available on the market, with the exception of maybe the Giant Propel SLR alloy and the Felt AR15, but those aren't available in the US. Neglecting to put aero profiles on all the tubes now makes it really easy and inexpensive for Specialized to roll out "upgraded" models with aero profiles on the downtube, headtube, etc. in subsequent years.

Right now, the competition for aluminum aero road bikes is not really there at all, so I don't think Specialized feels too much pressure to release an Allez Sprint model that rivals their own Venge in terms of aero, for example. They can milk the profits from this current model, as well as the profits from any "upgraded" models in subsequent years, assuming the market for aero aluminum bikes continues to grow.

It also makes it easy for their marketing team when they do release a new aero model to claim that it's "40% more aero than the previous model", or whatever number they decide to throw out there. Just my opinion. Interested to hear other's thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a reasonable take on things. Specialized didn't become a + $500 million company by luck. There to make money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is now listed on the Specialized website, there are two models, a basic "Comp" model with mostly SRAM Rival and a higher "Expert" model with full SRAM Force.

Interestingly, both are single-chainring only and given the shape of that downtube I would assume that they will have to stay that way. That's a very interesting marketing choice, they're openly pushing them as crit-racing bikes, but it seems as though they will be alienating a lot of their potential market by limiting it to single-ring, certainly me for one.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez

[Edited to add]:

http://www.bicycling.com/...ialized-allez-sprint

Bicycling report that a traditional 2x setup is on the way, now I'm excited:

Quote:
The Allez Sprint will be offered as a frameset and in two different SRAM complete builds as a criterium-specific 1x bike by the end of the month. Another month later, traditional 2x versions with front derailleurs will be offered as well. Pricing is yet to be determined. We are receiving a test bike, though, so keep your eyes peeled for our in-depth review.

Last edited by: aw3: Aug 20, 15 3:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the rear brake cable exit for anyone interested. Could be cleaner, but certainly better than cable ties to the top-tube!

Quote Reply
Re: New Specialized Allez Sprint [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Doesn't looknlike you can fit a center pull like a TriRig in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burninglegs wrote:
Interesting. Doesn't looknlike you can fit a center pull like a TriRig in there.

Why would you want to? If using it for its purpose (crit racing), Ill take a better stopping brake than a more aero brake if that means I can carry more speed and brake later getting to the turn.

Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Specialized Allez Sprint [RobbyT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any issues with lack of braking power with my Omegas. Can easily lock up the wheels any time I want and there is plenty of modulation as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New Specialized Allez Sprint [RobbyT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are you saying this new Allez Sprint isn't meant to be aero and is just for show? It looks semi aero. Aero looking seat tube. Aero looking seat post. Rear wheel cutout. Flat back of downtube for water bottles.

So I don't see an issue with the thought of running an aero brakeset if you want to race on aluminum and looking for something aero. We don't get the Felt AR 15 here. We don't get the Giant Propel SLR alloy here. For a nice race frame, you have the CAAD 10 and 12, and the new Trek Emonda ALR. Neither of those being aero in the least bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm asking this genuinely (so hopefully I don't get torn apart on here), but is there any measurable difference in time saved between running a rear Omega as opposed to a normal SRAM rear brake as shown in the pic? Especially for a frame like this (assuming it could fit an Omega)?

I can't imagine that even the most sensitive wind tunnels out there could pic up on that difference if tested with a rider pedaling... but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If there was a difference, wouldn't it be so insignificantly small that it would just make sense to run the brake that had the best stopping power?
Quote Reply
Re: New Specialized Allez Sprint [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"To compliment the Allez’s stiff frame, the front end runs an S-Works FACT carbon fiber fork up front to ensure precision handling. And when you own your own wind tunnel, you better use it for everything possible – the New Allez was no exception. The down tube, seat tube, and seatstays have all been aerodynamically optimized to reduce drag, without sacrificing any of the explosiveness that crit racing and sprinting requires. The result is a bike that saves a claimed 1.3 meters in a sprint compared to a traditional Allez according to Specialized."

http://www.bikerumor.com/...allez-dsw-x1-expert/
Quote Reply
Re: New Specialized Allez Sprint [Ahillock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I like Specialized, but their marketing department must think that people are morons with the random unsubstantiated numbers that they stuff in their press releases. It annoys me that they do it every single time.

Saying 1.3 metres is completely meaningless, they may as well say 1.3 hours or 1.3 miles. Idiots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I didn't know better, at a quick glance I might think it was a carbon frame.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to the debut of the new Venge and this bike last month and spent a couple of hours with Mark Cote, the Specialized Win-Tunnel manager. Couple of things about this bike that he relayed. In their wind tunnel they found the biggest aero component for a road bike to be the seat tube/seat post and the interface of the seat stays. Which is why they spent so much time with this on the Venge ViAS and the Allez Sprint. The Sprint even uses the Venge ViAS seat post. They essentially duplicated the back half of the ViAS with the front half of a Tarmac. The head tube is a semi aero shape, as is the downtube. The shape of the downtube came straight from the 15/16 Tarmac. Mark said that aero numbers on the Sprint are as good or better than the first generation Venge.

Honestly, it was a super informative experience. Enough so that I bought an Evade helmet based on what I heard. And to their credit, the Evade changed my comfort level on a bike here in Houston. Mark Cote indicated that airflow across the head was increased by some stupid factor without an aero penalty. And he was absolutely right about the airflow. I went from being miserable with sweat dripping into my eyes in 95 degree/95 percent humidity to barely getting a sweat bead rolling down my face just by switching helmets.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Specialized Allez Sprint [shaneh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Mark said that aero numbers on the Sprint are as good or better than the first generation Venge.

I would love to see a whitepaper or at least confirmation from Mark or Chris Yu on this fact!

More and more the Allez Sprint is looking like it will be my race bike for '16.
Quote Reply

Prev Next