I have not seen anything posted yet , or did i miss it
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [heed99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Herbert moving on there may not be anyone at ST to champion this event:(
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no. My first (and quite possibly) only one, and no ST party?!?

I want my money back! Oh, wait ...
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, worse case we can set up our own gathering (PARTY:))
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed. I am in and would also volonteer to help somehow. Issue is I am a first time KQ so not familiar with locations etc. so I'd need to do the simple stuff like cleaning up etc 😊
Maybe if Herbert helps us with how it was done the last few years we could pull this off?

Cheers
Roberto
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [teambernina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds good
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woodchuck wrote:
Well, worse case we can set up our own gathering (PARTY:))

That's how we started it.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun! I'm in, and would be willing to help out (though I'm also a first time KQ, so I'm not sure how this works, either). When and where has it been in the past?

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is no official gathering planned this year for Kona, as Dan wants to focus more on road shows, vs just doing "One official thing" in Kona.

But that being said, there is no reason why folks could not arrange to meet each other on the Big Island and meet each other, either after a morning swim or even one evening at Kona Brewing or similar.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Herbert, I need to keep my winning streak going! Helmet, wetsuit, sunglasses!!! I'll miss the party! Always fun to catch up with my Kona friends!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [Irongonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no slowtwitch party this year.

this party has gotten harder and harder for us to put on, not because the party itself is hard, but because the location is hard. our partners renting these big houses are drying up. the companies renting them are just less frequently renting them, i.e., they seem to be opting for less expensive accommodations, and/or we just wear them out with the party.

so, it was good while it lasted, it was a 10-year run, but like pre-race neutral support (which timers will remember us doing), and the kona bike count (which i started and which we ran for its first 15 years) it seems as if the slowtwitch kona party will bite the dust.

but as herbert pointed out, it's not that i don't want you to see our ugly mugs. it's that i'm more motivated these days to take our show to your town. assuming it all comes together nice i think we'll do about 15 slowtwitch road shows around north america this upcoming spring.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan. We loved when you brought the roadshow to Hazard's here in Santa Barbara earlier this year! I will miss the party though, and I appreciate all you did for us there in Kona over the years!

Dave G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need any help in planning and running the event, I'd love to Dan. I've mentioned that I'd help out anytime.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not so much a question of planning and organizing as it is a situation of location. We had awesome locations and hosts over the years, but this year it just did not seem to fall in place.

I am actually in Kona (at least this year) so I would handle it as always, but it just did not come together.

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Understood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First the "Most Interesting Man in the World" goes on a one-way trip to Mars, now this?

Marcus Robinson, Inventor
T-BLOCKS Transition Racks
http://www.t-blocks.com
marcus@t-blocks.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert, you should just take us all to lunch instead. Ha ha. Just kidding. Thanks for the fun parties of the past! You guys are great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be the first time I'm not in Kona to watch the IM since 2011. No complaints, I've been blessed.

One of the few things making this bearable is it also coincides with no ST gathering.

I hope the gathering - and me - return to Kona very soon.

"Find a way, not an excuse". Goony, Kona, 2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
no slowtwitch party this year.

this party has gotten harder and harder for us to put on, not because the party itself is hard, but because the location is hard. our partners renting these big houses are drying up. the companies renting them are just less frequently renting them, i.e., they seem to be opting for less expensive accommodations, and/or we just wear them out with the party.

so, it was good while it lasted, it was a 10-year run, but like pre-race neutral support (which timers will remember us doing), and the kona bike count (which i started and which we ran for its first 15 years) it seems as if the slowtwitch kona party will bite the dust.

but as herbert pointed out, it's not that i don't want you to see our ugly mugs. it's that i'm more motivated these days to take our show to your town. assuming it all comes together nice i think we'll do about 15 slowtwitch road shows around north america this upcoming spring.

As someone who hopes they will KQ some day, it is sad that there will probably not be a ST party waiting for me. But as someone who will probably not KQ, I appreciate the Road Shows, as that will be more accessible to me.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold a Slowtwitch gathering anyway ... at the coffee barge.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [teaandstuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be the first time I'm not in Kona to watch the IM since 2011. No complaints, I've been blessed.

Same for my wife and I - first time NOT being in Kona for a number of years!

Will be watching from afar.

Up side for us, we get to have a proper, Canadian Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner, at home in a while! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Babbitt starts is breakfast interviews today, could be a nice post workout social lovcation each morning
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 ST Kona gathering [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold a Slowtwitch gathering anyway ... at the coffee barge.

I love the concept of the Coffee Bar out on the swim, but I have to tell you, the one time that I did swim out, I can confirm that, salty sea water, and espresso tastes terrible together!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply