Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to my first ever 70.3 distance race. I thought, like me, there may be others who'll be taking part in this race who may have questions. I'm curious to get some insights from others who've done this event in the past 2 years since it's inception. If you don't mind I've got a couple questions that I've been mulling over. I'm sure they are covered in the briefing but I wanted to have the answers well before leaving Toronto Friday.

1. Is bike check in Saturday mandatory?
2. What happens when inclement weather is forecasted? Do people leave their bikes out over night?
3. How large are the feed zones? (I'm curious how long I'll have to refill and discard bottles and BTA)
4. How do I setup T2 and my running gear?
5. Where will my swim gear be located following the race?
6. How will I know where to rack my bike in T2?

I've read through the site but being new to long distance racing I've got some of these questions.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on prepping for your first 70.3 distance event! I think you'll find a lot of what you're looking for in the Athlete's Guide here: http://niagarafallstriathlon.com/athlete-guide/

I raced Barrelman last year and it was great! I will be racing again on Sunday, too.

To your questions:
1. I believe you can check in early Sunday morning, but that makes transportation a little complicated unless you have someone with you who will drive your car to Niagara Falls to pick you up as there is no shuttle back to Welland following the race. Checking in, racking your bike, and doing the mandatory pre-race briefing on Saturday afternoon is way less stressful. There's more info about this in the guide on page 7.
2. Virtually all of the bikes were out overnight last year. I know some people taped or tied garbage bags over their bikes when they racked. I didn't, as I figured I'd be getting on the bike wet anyway. I don't like riding on soggy aero bar pads, so I may cover up a bit this year.
3. Bike aid stations last year were maybe 50-60 feet long. The order of pickup items is shown in the guide with a diagram, it's best to be prepped and clear about what you want.
4. T2 gear is put into the appropriate coloured bag and dropped off with volunteers. They put it in a numbered location in T2 that matches your race number. I found this very straightforward last year.
5. There's a pickup area at the finish. You'll be given a sticker in your registration pack that you use to mark your wetsuit bag. Same number as your race number.
6. All spots in T2 are numbered. The pre-race email should indicate what part of T2 your number will be located in, so you'll know roughly where to head when you get there. Volunteers there are very helpful in getting you to the right spot!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [matt_f_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot. I wasn't able to find the athlete guide but I am doing it between work tasks so I'm all over the place. Hoping to have a good first outing at my first race at this distance. Good luck to all that take part!!

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I did not reply sooner but I have been busy lately. matt_f_tri has answered all of you questions..probably better than I could have, given it is from an athlete's perspective who has raced with us at Barrelman. Please do introduce yourself and say hello on Saturday. If you do have any other questions please check the Athlete Guide on the race site or email admin@multisportcanada.com

By the way we have surpassed previous registration totals in our first 2 years and it looks like over 800 will be racing with us on Sunday. Thank you to everyone who decided to support a local half. We will take care of you very well on the weekend!

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those registration numbers sound great! I'll see you on the weekend for my third go-round, and am looking forward to a top-notch race. As usual. The kids had fun at Lakeside last week, now it's my turn.

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to being on the Microphone at the Start, at T2 and at the finish for all of the Barrelman athletes. Missed being there last year. Glad to be back this year!

Here we go! #BarrelmanTri

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on registering for an awesome race. Perfect choice for a first long course triathlon I have done both Barrelman races and regret that I can't attend this year.
You will find that the logistics are all looked after as described. All you have to do is show up, more or less. Enjoy the ride along the north shore of Lake Erie and under the tunnel, and the spray from the falls on the run. Fan support is good especially near The Falls. There is no shortage of places for pre race pasta dinner too. When I was in Welland for the long course race in June I found a great Italian restaurant Matteo's on East Main St. in Welland. It was a hidden gem. Good luck and have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been let down by MSC at any event so I don't expect otherwise. This course looks amazing and like you, any athlete that's done it has nothing but praise for it. From the volunteers to the race director team to the fellow athletes that show up. Praise all around unanimously. Seeing 800 others choosing the race is excellent and continued growth even better. It's a great way to cap off a race season in September.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
484 in 2014
496 in 2015

More than 800 this year! Great news for a new race.

Makes sense for a 70.3 with a cool name, an amazing (clean, modern, great viewing) swim site and a finish next to one of the 7 wonders of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impulse-Warp wrote:
484 in 2014
496 in 2015

More than 800 this year! Great news for a new race.

Makes sense for a 70.3 with a cool name, an amazing (clean, modern, great viewing) swim site and a finish next to one of the 7 wonders of the world.

I did it in year 1 and I'm looking forward to going back. I'm with the others: every MSC event I've done has been a blast. Good vibe at the races, laid back and friendly. I'll be back next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the AquaBike. First time doing an AquaBike (due to injury), but seriously looking forward to going full-gas on the bike. Thank you for keeping this as an option.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likewise! also injured so will be going full-gas on the swim-bike. the race is on! see you in T2
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to hanging out at the Barrelman post-race expo. I hope some STers drop by the Martin's tent to say hi. I'll have free snacks!

I have an appreciation for how much John Salt and his team pour into this event. Having raced dozens of 70.3s around the world, I can say without a doubt that Barrelman is a premier racing experience.

I'm thrilled to hear that the registration numbers are up. Though my career as a pro triathlete doesn't afford me much flexibility in race selection, I really cherish local racing. After all, it was the MultiSport Canada Series that kick-started my racing career!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that the numbers are up. It was great last year, so I signed up again this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second time doing this race for me. It's an excellent race and I assure you will really enjoy it. Looks like all the questions have been answered. A few additional points:

1. If you are parking and using the bus system to Welland, I'd highly recommend keeping your tires inflated post race and consider packing a backpack bag, etc. as it is a decently long walk back to the parking lot to get your car. Last year I deflated my tires and had to walk. Not this year!
  2. As other mentioned, I'd highly recommend checking your bike in Saturday and attending the briefing at one of those times. I used a bike cover to keep my bike mostly dry overnight, as the Saturday weather looks wet (like last year).
  3. Feed zones are sufficiently long. You will have no issues. Don't litter!
  4. There is no T2 setup. Your run stuff goes in a red bag that will be at your designated spot in T2. Basically finish the bike, go to your numbered spot (race number). Rack your bike and put your run stuff on and any bike stuff you have into the T2 red bag. Last year, I don't think I put anything it it after biking. Shoes stayed on the bike and my helmet just went on my aerobars. So anything you need for the run, goes in the red run bag. Give these to volunteers at the swim start in Welland and it will be there for you
  5. Swim gear will be in a black bag that you packed after the swim. MSC transport to the finish line area
  6. Rack your bike as per your race number. It will be obvious.

Looking forward to some fast times with the SW wind forcast. This is a 70.3 PB race. Go for it!! The swim is amazing. What a venue!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is sportstats going to be the timing company again this year. I haven't been able to find the event listed on their website. Normally, their events pop up well in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my first experience at Barrelman as well and somewhat interested in the Sunday race check-in option. It seems like this may be the first year this is allowed and it would really accommodate my family/work schedule on Saturday. I'm a 2 hour drive away though so could be a very early morning.

I'll have spectators to drive themselves to the falls so transportation isn't an issue. Anyone else planning Sunday check-in?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm giving the sunday option thought as well. The expected rain saturday being the reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those numbers would be results. Full disclosure, the number of individual athletes registered were/are:

Half Tri - 585
Swim/Bike - 33
Bike/Run - 38
Relays - 54
Total - 710

Half Tri - 560
Swim/Bike - 47
Bike/Run - 43
Relays - 66
Total - 716

Half Tri - 615
Swim/Bike - 59
Bike/Run - 30
Relays - 93
Total - 797

Given that there is race day registration and historically we have seen 25+ on race day, we do see over 800 registered by Sunday. Some have suggested if this were M-dot it would see over 2,000 registered, which I wouldn't doubt, and that is the allure of the brand. I would humbly suggest that the many who have raced Barrelman, and said it was as good as or better than an M-dot, are correct in their assertion. We set the bar very high and try to take it higher every year. Finishers Hat, Finishers Medal, race t-shirt, live band, beer garden (look in your race kit for the Creemore Springs gift), Hero Burgers, chocolate milk for athletes and the kids and more.

We are very pleased and appreciative of the support of all who race with us.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to racing this weekend. Hopefully the rain holds, or is at least in the "tolerable/ refreshing" temperature range.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'll have spectators to drive themselves to the falls so transportation isn't an issue. Anyone else planning Sunday check-in?

I did this last year, and it worked out well. Last year my wife and son came to the finish, so I left my car in Welland and had them drive me back after I was done.

This year I'm on my own, so I'll have to check in at Welland, drive to the falls and take the shuttle back to the start. Given the shuttle times and travel distances I'm going to have to leave my house quite early. It would be nice to have a shuttle after the race rather than before, but I can see that would be tricky with people's bikes.

I'm excited to hear that Hero burgers are back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps, the best option might be to check in Saturday, attend the meetings on saturday but then drop off the bike sunday morning. It's calling for showers and if that's an option that would be optimal. Is that a possible option or would this be a bad idea? Any feedback is appreciated. Looking forward to my first 70.3......sorry half distance race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Salt wrote:
Relays - 93
Uh oh.

I had an _awesome_ time at Barrelman last year. The podium prizes were fantastic too. Wine, shoes, and more! I raced the whole season on the skechers our relay team won last year.

We'll be looking to defend our relay title, though our ringer runner had a "life event" (baby born) this morning, so my fat ass will be swimming _and_ running.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Niagara Falls Barrelman - September 18 [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relay prizes this year:
1st Pace Team - Pair of Skechers for each team member
2nd Pace Team - $150 gift certificate for Rudy Project (glasses or helmet) for each team member
3rd Pace Team - Creemore Spring gift bag for each team member

Top male and female in each age group a pair of Skechers GoRun Shoes

Timex watches and wine for age group top placers

Swim, Bike/Run, Swim/Bike, Fastest Bike in Tri and Fastest Run in Tri......all have prizes!!!

Off to Niagara Falls. If you are racing please say hello.

Last edited by: John Salt: Sep 16, 16 8:58
Quote Reply

Prev Next