Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 Lake Placid incredible generousity....
Quote | Reply
I know this a long shot but.....

Out of T1 I realized I did not have my sunglasses for the bike, somehow misplaced them. I yelled out to spectators "does anyone have an extra pair of sunglasses?"
This guy takes his pair off his face and hands them to me. I was floored. A nice pair also. I know this is a long shot but I would love to get these back to him.
Any chance he or someone who knows him/about this and is reading this please let me know.

Some amazingly nice people out there!

thanks!
Last edited by: johnp12: Jul 26, 16 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [johnp12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One would think/hope that by the year 2916 we would have evolved to the point of no longer needing sunglasses. That is of course if the sun has not already engulfed the earth in a ball of fire.
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post this on Facebook on the IM Lake Placid feed and I'm sure word will get around to him
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good idea, thanks!
Last edited by: johnp12: Jul 26, 16 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the very least, you could find this guy's name. Here's what you do, go to the IMLP website. Click on Race Info. Click on Bib List. Search for the bib number. I'm not going to post his name but you can find it there and be the first to thank him publicly.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He or she said that it was a spectator that gave the glasses.
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that differently/ wrong. I read that he asked the spectators and #2916 gave him sunglasses. Either way, pretty awesome story.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
Post this on Facebook on the IM Lake Placid feed and I'm sure word will get around to him

Not sure I would do this......is this not a violation of the "outside assistance" rule?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnp12 wrote:

Out of T1 I realized I did not have my sunglasses for the bike, somehow misplaced them. I yelled out to spectators "does anyone have an extra pair of sunglasses?"
This guy takes his pair off his face and hands them to me. I was floored. A nice pair also. I know this is a long shot but I would love to get these back to him.
Any chance he or someone who knows him/about this and is reading this please let me know.

thanks!

Sorry. DQ for you for outside assistance. Please immediately return (at your own expense) all IM gear, finisher medals, etc. Also, if you have a bike that is better than a P2, please send it directly to me.

Good for that spectator. The community is one of the great things about triathlon. One of my favorite parts of racing is after I've finished and going back out to the course to cheer on the others. As an adult, I've played competitive basketball and soccer and my team would get in a fight at least 3 times per season. It was draining wondering if I was going to have to throwdown every night. Maybe worse, the spectators would be just as bad as the players in talking crap.

Triathlon has such a different vibe. Maybe it's because there is very little head-to-head competition involved for about 99% of the racers. Or maybe it's because there's largely no one playing defense on you in triathlon, but I've never heard a competitor or spectator talk crap to a racer.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [johnp12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnp12 wrote:

thanks!

Do you mind if I post this on Facebook? I am from PA and a lot of my Facebook peeps were there !!

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [Diehl78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure if it helps find the person. It is killing me not being able to thank him. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I would do this......is this not a violation of the "outside assistance" rule?

It is not a violation.
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:

It is not a violation.

Just curious.......Are you a USAT and/or Ironman official?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious.......Are you a USAT and/or Ironman official?

I am not an official. But the rules on "Outside Assistance" is pretty clear in Section 2.02 of the Ironman Competition Rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
rodchaves31 wrote:

Read up here (Ironman):
http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz4FXheDaUi

"Section 2.02 OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE
(a) Assistance provided by Race Referees or Race Officials is allowed but such assistance is limited to: providing drinks, nutrition, mechanical and medical assistance, and other necessary assistance (as may be approved by the Event Director or Head Referee).
Athletes competing in the same Race may assist each other with incidental items such as, but not restricted to: nutrition and drinks after an aid station and pumps, tires, inner tubes, and puncture repair kits; and (b) Athletes may not provide any item of equipment to an athlete competing in the same Race if it results in the donor athlete being unable to continue with his/her own Race. Such equipment includes but is not restricted to: shoes, complete bicycle, frame, wheels, or helmet. The penalty for this will be disqualification of both athletes."

And here (USAT and ITU):
http://triathlon.competitor.com/...low-competitor_93696
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Jul 26, 16 12:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really think IM would take the negative publicity of this amazing situation both at the race and after?
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
rodchaves31 wrote:

Read up here (Ironman):
http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz4FXheDaUi

"Section 2.02 OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE
(a) Assistance provided by Race Referees or Race Officials is allowed but such assistance is limited to: providing drinks, nutrition, mechanical and medical assistance, and other necessary assistance (as may be approved by the Event Director or Head Referee).
Athletes competing in the same Race may assist each other with incidental items such as, but not restricted to: nutrition and drinks after an aid station and pumps, tires, inner tubes, and puncture repair kits; and (b) Athletes may not provide any item of equipment to an athlete competing in the same Race if it results in the donor athlete being unable to continue with his/her own Race. Such equipment includes but is not restricted to: shoes, complete bicycle, frame, wheels, or helmet. The penalty for this will be disqualification of both athletes."

And here (USAT and ITU): http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#zFkXDOH5uGzORDLr.99

I used "outside assistance" when I should have used "unauthorized assistance":

USAT Rule 3.4(d):
Unauthorized Assistance

No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon. The receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.
Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#OahCElVXczCTEeSG.99

Last edited by: japarker24: Jul 26, 16 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
Do you really think IM would take the negative publicity of this amazing situation both at the race and after?

I have no idea how Ironman would react.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, do you think sunglasses would be considered "physical assistance" in completing a race? What would be the advantage gained? The athlete wouldn't have to squint?

Like I said, I am not an official, but I am very confident that the equipment the USAT rule is talking about is more along the lines of something that would help you finish a race legally, I.E. helmet, running shoes, bike, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly. No breach of Ironman rules, but could be construed as a breach of USAT rules. In my experience USAT officials tend to be more anal about these things, so it wouldn't surprise me to see someone get a penalty (though unlikely a DQ) for taking equipment from a spectator. For instance, at a small local race I know an instance of an athlete getting a 2 min penalty for throwing his bike gloves to a spectator near the start of the run (forgot to remove them in T2).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
Just curious, do you think sunglasses would be considered "physical assistance" in completing a race? What would be the advantage gained? The athlete wouldn't have to squint?

Like I said, I am not an official, but I am very confident that the equipment the USAT rule is talking about is more along the lines of something that would help you finish a race legally, I.E. helmet, running shoes, bike, etc.

There is no requirement that receiving unauthorized assistance must result in an advantage for it to be a penalty.

Also, pacing is unauthorized assistance and in many cases, it doesn't help you finish. It may help you finish FASTER, but in many cases the athlete would finish the race with or without the assistance (pacing).

Quote Reply
Re: 2916 Lake Placid incredible generousity.... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For instance, at a small local race I know an instance of an athlete getting a 2 min penalty for throwing his bike gloves to a spectator near the start of the run (forgot to remove them in T2).

That's a miserable ref!

Either way, this is one of those Ironman feel-good stories. No way would anything negative come of posting it on FB. This conversation is too grey with respect to the rule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel you are a bit off in your interpretation of this situation and the rule. The likely outcome is praise and applause. A DQ from Ironman would create a lot of backlash for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
I feel you are a bit off in your interpretation of this situation and the rule. The likely outcome is praise and applause. A DQ from Ironman would create a lot of backlash for them.

I understand the situation. It's an awesome situation, but the fact is.....the athlete broke a USAT rule. And I don't necessarily agree that it should be a rule violation. But, I think it is a slippery slope if you start to ignore rules because of a "feel good" story.

Anyway, I'm only bringing this up to generate discussion. And this is not the first time this exact rule has brought about lots of discussion. I feel that many people would agree that the rule needs (at least) a little tweaking.

ETA: Also, I'm just trying to boost my post count (I think I may change my signature to reflect this).

Last edited by: japarker24: Jul 26, 16 13:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next