Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!)
Quote | Reply
We're getting to that time of the year again. T minus 47 days and counting until the big dance in Kona, Hawaii as of August 22, 2016.

If this is your first time through the Ironman World Championship, welcome to the big show; you'll have a great time. If you're a repeat offender, congratulations on successfully managing your OCD! ;)

After a couple of years of simply updating the old guide, it's time for a complete rewrite. Enough has changed in town and on the island to make the old guide a bit outdated. As always this is a collaborative effort. If you have comments about the posts or suggestions for those who haven't been here before, post away. I'll be glad to answer what I can and others will be able to chime in with different perspectives.

My perspective is that of an age grouper triathlete (I aged up this year btw), a former competitor in the race (I last did the race in 2014 which I kept quiet from all the Slowtwitch folks .. it's also why that year's update was really late!), and a long time resident of Kailua town. My opinions are just mine and nothing else. I will try to keep an eye on the thread and answer the questions that you may have.

A few bits of trivia. The town name is actually Kailua not Kona. This is why you'll often hear long time locals call it Kailua Town or Kailua Village. The Post office name for this area is Kailua Kona. Every island has a Kailua and every island has a Waimea, the post office can only have one of those per state though. Kailua means two waters or two currents in Hawaiian. Waimea up north of Kailua town is called Kamuela (Samuel in Hawaiian, after a prominent local when the post office named it) by the post office. Waimea means reddish water. Kona refers to the Ahpua'a in this area. Those were pie shaped land divisions in old Hawaii. Oh and the island name is Hawaii not “the big island” (my own personal pet peeve :P)

Dengue Fever/Zika Virus Scares

The Aedes aegypti mosquito is the most common carrier of the dengue fever virus as well as the zika virus. This mosquito is well established in the state and on Hawaii island, you may thank 19th century British whaling ships for that. There have been occasional dengue outbreaks in the state but it has yet to become established.

Shortly after the IMWC 2015 a dengue fever outbreak occurred on Hawaii island. A few rather vociferous people blamed the Ironman athletes for bringing the virus here. That's not terribly likely as the incubation periods didn't add up. Be that as it may, if you get any guff on this issue be aware of why it's happening.

The dengue fever outbreak was brought under control many months ago by aggressive abatement programs and people in south Kona and the windward side (east side of the island) using high Deet concentration mosquito repellent. There has not been a Dengue case in many months. The same mosquito that carries Dengue can also carry Zika. There has not been a single case of Zika in the state that was not related to the infected person traveling in a Zika Virus area.

If you're concerned about the possibilities, bring some high Deet repellent with you. Bag it up so it doesn't leak into your luggage. It's available here as well but with 2200 of you coming to town there can be shortages. ;)

Weather

October is peak temperature time in this part of Hawaii. Expect temperatures off the asphalt of the Queen K well into the 80's every day. Race day can be, and usually is, quite toasty. Riding and Running under a tropical sky on asphalt can be draining – the 2009 race featured record 120F/48.9C temperatures on the Queen K at 3pm. Hydrate accordingly during your practice sessions and on race day.

Race day is also the trailing end of one of our rainy seasons. We've been known to have extreme heat and extreme heavy rain all in the same day, though that's unusual. October is still within Hurricane season for Hawaii, and although Hawaii island is generally protected by two very large mountains, they are possible. Those are what drive the worst weather of the season even though they're well offshore.

Normal Water temperatures

Peak water temperatures occur in late August through mid-September. The water is quite nice right now btw. On race day the average temperature should be 77 – 78 F/ 25 – 25.5 C. The race is never wetsuit legal. The water temperature near the pier can vary wildly. There are numerous cold spots due to rain water percolating down from the mountains to the fresh water springs in the bay (two waters, remember?). There is another set of cold spots about the time you're abeam Hulihee palace and the last set near the Kona Inn. These cold spots are a good way to know just how close you are to finishing the swim. When you feel the first ones, you're near the Kona Inn. The second set means you have about 1/6 mile to go and then you'll be at the pier for the last sprint to shore.

Practice swims

After several years of absence the Kukio Blue Water Swim returns in 2016. There's a catch this year though – you'll have to arrive early if you want to do this classic swim. It's now being held 2 weeks prior to the race on September 24. The race begins with check-in at the closed to the public Kukio development, then a short walk to Kua bay followed by the 1.2 mile/1931 m swim to the public beach at Kukio. Event details can be found at http://www.kukioevents.com. Race day registration is available.

The Ironman sponsored training swim will be held 1 week prior to the race on October 1. This swim starts at the pier follows the Ironman swim course but finishes on the Kamakahonu Bay side of the pier. The event is $35 USD and you must register in advance. Details can be found on the Ironman World Championship website under race week events or:

http://www.ironman.com/...m.aspx#axzz4HzfEN18V

Course set-up

The swim course setup usually begins on the Thursday prior to the race and is finished Friday afternoon. The folks at Jack's Diving locker have been setting up the course for nearly the entire time the race has been held here and do a fabulous job. Most years there have been a few extra swim buoys set up a few weeks prior to race day to help guide the athletes in town.

If the additional buoys do not get set up for any reason you have the following guides. The swim lane is to the left of the buoy line as you face the water from the beach. Do not swim to the right of those buoys. Boats come and go there – you will get hurt. Beyond that if you keep sighting just to the right of the Royal Kona Hotel (the iconic ship like building south on the coast), you'll come abeam a flag pole near Hulihee palace. The flag pole and back to the beach is approximately 1/3 mile. Continuing south while sighting just off the Royal Kona, the first swim buoy you'll come to is a round ½ mile/800 m swim buoy. It's approximately abeam the third “N” on the ocean facing “Kona Inn” sign painted on their roof. After that there's another round ¾ mile buoy (all these are out and back distances), then there's the 1500m pencil buoy followed by the King's Buoy (the 1.2 mile turn buoy) abeam the Royal Kona. From there sight on a spit of land to the far south and follow a straight line. The next buoy is the Ironman Turn.

If you're not fortunate enough to be able to swim in open water on a routine basis, please use the week leading up to the race to get familiar with the ocean and it's currents. There will be a current on race day. Sometimes pushing you south, sometimes pushing you north. If there is surf near the pier race morning, try not to pay much mind to it. The swim will smooth out beyond the pier.

The beach where the race starts is often called “Dig-Me beach.” It has a proper name though. Kaiakeakua Beach (Sea of the gods beach). Kamakahonu beach (Eye of the turtle) is on the other side of the pier.

Other Swim locales

Hapuna Beach State Park, north of the resorts (30 miles or so from town) is one of the nicest beaches on the west side of the island. From the south end of the beach to the landing at the Hapuna Prince at the north end is approximately ½ mile/800 m. This is the where the swim and bike start for “Honu” aka Ironman 70.3 Hawaii is held every year. It's a protected bay and away from the hustle and bustle of Kailua town during Ironman week. It's also a popular swim and beach spot so get there early.

Aneahoomalu Bay, or “A-Bay” is the beach behind the hotels at the Waikoloa Resorts. It's usually a bit murkier than Hapuna or the pier but is convenient if you're staying up there. This is also where the Lavaman Olympic length Triathlon occurs every spring.

Kona Aquatic Center. The county pool is located on Kuakini Highway. The pool is normal split into two sections -- both have 25 yard lanes. It generally opens at 6:15 on weekdays and closes at 7:15 pm with a break for lunch. Weekend hours are 8:15 am to 4:45 pm with time off for lunch. This is a busy time of the year at the pool, you will have to share lanes. Cost is free (you're welcome). Go swim in the ocean, you're going to have to anyway. ;)

There is another 4 lane pool at “The Club.” This is a private fitness center and to gain access you'll have to pay for a multi or single day pass. Again it gets busy in there this time of the year. It's also a 25 yard pool.

Roads & Riding

It's road construction time again on the Queen K! The highway is being expanded to 4 lanes between Honokohau Harbor and the airport. As of this writing (August 22), the construction is all on the ocean side (makai side) of the current highway. Unlike the last construction (2007 -2009), they've actually left the shoulders alone and for the most part they're kept free of construction vehicles. With that said, construction traffic and equipment do cross onto the shoulders, there is a lot of noise and dust and there is a large drop off at spots along the makai side of the shoulder. Pay close attention during your training rides on your return to town and keep your head up in that area.

The choke points for bicycles haven't changed much over the past few years. Most locals ride from the county pool or soccer fields up Makala (past where the Target is and the Sports Authority shop was – the sign is still there) and onto the Queen K. That little section there has been the among the worst area for bicycle - vehicle accidents. People aren't expecting cyclists (go figure) and some are rather resentful of the whole Ironman time of the year. Stay out of aero position until you're safely on the highway shoulders.

Heading North bound on the highway your first danger area is the turn to the transfer station and Police station. Cars will be merging into the right turn lane and the bike lane is on the left side of that lane. Sit up. After that you have Kealakehe Pkwy (opposite the harbor) which is the turn to the local high school and Civic Center. From there you have a short ride to the turn by the Tesoro Station. There are two ways to handle this short set of streets; some folks go onto the shoulder after the harbor and then back to the left side where the Tesoro turn is. That's what the sign says you to should do as you pass Kealakehe. Others think more accidents happen crossing traffic and just stay on the left side of the right turn lane the whole way and let the cars that are impatient pass them off to the right. If you're in a group of riders do what the guy up front does. Don't split the group left and right as you'll end up tempting cars to go between you -- and they will.

If you're in a group, please be sensible and ride no more than two abreast (Hawaii law actually requires single file but that's another story), don't bunch up and creep out onto the highway -- you will get hurt.

After the airport you're fairly clear until the resorts. Some distances:

Pool - Veteran's Cemetery/Kua Bay-Pu'u Kuil'i (Bum Crack Hill for the Aussies): 12 miles each way.

Pool- Scenic Overlook (This is barely on the descent to the resorts): 18 miles each way.

Pool - Waikoloa Resorts: Just under 50 miles round trip depending on how far you go into the resorts.

Pool - Kawaihae: This is a bit under 80 miles round trip.

Returning south bound the major areas of conflict with traffic are the road to the Mauna Lani, the Road to the Waikoloa Resorts, Kua Bay and more importantly the south Entrance to Kekahakai St park (Makalawena). Cars aren't expecting you at that entrance, and it's a nice down hill where you'll likely be zipping along in aero. After that the Airport Rd is really bad as it has a protected acceleration lane for the south bound Queen K that you need to cross and cars will not look. This is also where the construction starts now. Then the harbor. When you make the turn onto Makala from the south bound Queen K, you'll be in the shopping area, Sit up and use it as a cool down. Please.

The Queen K bike lanes in town which we often called the “suicide lanes” are gone. They've been moved next to the curb where they belonged. Keep in mind that if you go that route you will still have to cross traffic turning right into a protected acceleration lane at Makala, Kaiwi, Palani and Henry Street. The lanes end at Henry. By the way, the sidewalk in the area between Makala and Henry is a multi-use path. You can always bicycle there.

There is a bike lane on Kukakini between Palani Road and Kaiwi (That's the 4 way stop sign). These lanes were carved out of the traffic lane width, there was no expansion of real estate. Keep it single file through there and try not to creep towards the edge.

If you're heading down to Ali`i Drive be aware there's no shoulder on Ali'i until you're around the Royal Kona or so. Also watch for runners when you're on the shoulder of Ali`i Drive. Oh and just for reference I've been trying to get a speeding ticket on my bike heading into town (Northbound on Ali'i heading down the hill by the Royal Kona) for years with no success. If you get one let me know!

Finally, watch out for glass. There are a few locals who think it's funny to trash the shoulders prior to Ironman. The roads do get cleaned before everyone arrives and also for the race. But there will be glass and wire from shredded truck tires.

Refueling

If you're running in town there are a lot of places to replenish hydration supplies. If you do the 10 mile run (not qite actually) from the pier to the crosswalk in front of the now closed Keahou Outrigger, keep in mind that there's no shop there now to replenish at. The nearest would be up the big hill past the Raquet Club to the Keauhou Shopping Center. If it's normal working hours the Poke Shack is open and there are two early enough convenience style stores open as well one at Casa de Endico on the makai side of the road and the other on the mauka side down near Da Poke Shop.

Biking is another story. Heading out of town: Your first stop could be the gas station at new industrial. This is a popular stop with tourist refueling their rental cars before heading to the airport and with resort workers so be careful. After that there is Matsuyama's on the highway about 5 miles from Kailua town. They are bicycle unfriendly there though. It's posted No bikes in the store and there's no place to rack you bike up or even lock it if you have a lock. I've chatted with the manager there a couple of times pointing out that many of the October bikes are more costly than the automobiles in the parking lot asking them to ease the rules a bit during Ironman season but to no avail (To be fair there may be health code reasons for this too). I've never had problems with bike theft there but if you're in a group you can always leave one to watch the bikes.

After that there's a long dearth of refueling. You can always swing down into the airport and ride towards the United check-in and buy water from the vending machines there if you need to on the return. Remember there's a load of cars there as well and no shoulder. It's a climb back to the Queen K too.

Next up are the Queen's Shops and all the shops at the Waikoloa Resorts, a grocery store, restaurants and Bike Works beach and Sport (on the south side). 24 miles from town. After that the stop is the Shops at the Mauna Lani and the grocery store there. That shopping center does have racks but they're not convenient enough to keep an eye on my bike; I usually rest my against one of the inner court yard windows. Restrooms are on the north side of the building along with a water fountain as well.

After that there's Kawaihae. The deli there closed after the 2014 race (boo!). The former Union 76 gas station has a convenience store that is well stocked. It's was an Ohana Gas station last time I drove through there. It is windy and few psots to put your bike. I usually place mine against the mailboxes around the corner on the down slope side. It's still fallen over. be careful.

Finally there's Hawi town. There's a grocery store if you follow the signs towards Kohala and Waimea and numerous places to eat or get coffee.

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the parks along this route have water fountains and most except Hapuna are free (I've actually never had them ask me for money on my bike at Hapuna). If you just need water, are low on cash etc, yoiu can peddle into those and get something. Spencer Beach, Mahukona, Hapuna etc. Almost all involve climbing out of the parks though to the belt highway.

Running

Most of the runners in town have itband issues due to the shape of our roads. If we always face traffic the same leg is always high. For that reason and others, most of us run on the makai (ocean) side of the roads regardless of direction. Please be aware of it. Also the makai side has somewhat fewer vehicles entering the road not looking for pedestrians and cyclists than the mauka (mountain) side. With that in mind, I've seen people running 4 and 5 abreast along Ali`i Drive. The shoulders can fit 2 abreast. Please don't force your fellow runners out onto the road even if you're running facing traffic and they're not. Some of us will run right through you, your family and kids rather than get hit by a car.

Also, keep in mind that those that live and work here really don't care why you're in town. Most admire your dedication and ability, but frankly if you're running between cars stopped at a stop light, they don't care why you're doing that. You're slowing them down or they might not see you and then you get hit. You've worked far too hard to get here to have it end from a bit of impatience at waiting for the walk sign at a controlled intersection.

Soft running surfaces: usually that's the ball fields next to the county pool. Soccer and baseball. They're currently torn up for work but might be available before the race. After that the local high school track is occasionally available but only well after school is out for the day and when there are no other activities.

Besides Cycle Station and Bike Works for your running needs, the Running Company is a running shop with two locations in town. The first is in the Coconut Grove Market Place near lava Java and the second is up in New Industial on the road above Costco. They also have a shop in Hilo if you're in the area.

Some Distances:

Pier to “Outrigger” Keauhou Crosswalk (just past the Ali`i Drive turn around): 5 miles (The Outrigger hotel has been closed for a couple of years but the building is still there).
Pier to the entrance to the harbor (via Makala): Just under 3 miles
Pier to the Airport: 7 miles
Pier to the Energy Lab: 6 miles.

Miscellaneous Stuff

The coffee barge: There's a Hawaiian sailing canoe out in Kailua bay every year handing our little cups of coffee to swimmers. It's a bit of an institution and is worth the short swim just do do it. it's exact loaction varies from moment to moment depending upon conditions but it's usually no more than 1/4 mile out.

The climb to Hawi. This starts at Mahukona and finishes just before you enter Hawi town. Yes, you descend to the bike turn around and climb out of Hawi. This is not an incredibly steep climb, but it is long. 7 miles of non-stop climbing at around mile 60 on the ride. Richter Pass at Penticton and Cougar Gulch in Coeur d'Alene are both steeper. It's steep enough and long enough that the few spots where the slope decreases a bit feel flat. They're not.

This is also where most riders get their full realization of the wind for the first time. You've been riding in it for quite a few miles but usually as a crosswind (this is why disc wheels are not allowed). Now it's a full on headwind for 7 miles. Payback time: The rocket sled back to MahuKona. Enjoy it. I hit 51 mph/82 kph there during the 2014 race.

My personal hell section of the bike course is the climb from Kawaihae to Kawaihae Junction. It's hot, there's never a breath of wind, it's steep and you can see Bum Crack hill (Pu'u Kuil'i) in the far distance knowing you have to bike past that point. Fortunately it's also fairly short. (1 mile). Personally I'd rather climb the 7 miles to Hawi than do this climb.

The last climbs: The climb from the resorts to scenic overlook is the last long climb of the race. When you pass the overlook you have about 20 miles to T2. The last climb that matters is the climb from Kukio to Kua Bay/Veteran's cemetery (mile 99). It's steep but only a mile long. When you hit the top you are at mile 100 on the bike ride.

The Energy Lab: Signs will likely be up prohibiting bikes from being in there by the time you arrive. If they're not, don't ride in there anyway. There is no shoulder, cars drive very fast and there is a lot of traffic from the businesses and charter school. People have been hit and seriously hurt riding bikes along that road.

If this is your first trip to the world championship you owe it to yourself to go visit the energy lab. Drive to the bottom and take a look back up to the highway. The road isn't quite as steep as it looks. It's an optical illusion caused by the slope of the hills on the mauka (mountain) side of the highway that makes you think it's god awful steep. The illusion is strongest at night. It's not flat either though.

When you exit the Energy lab on the run you have exactly 11K to the finish.

Chicken Soup: If you're a MOP or later runner, the high sodium lukewarm chicken soup is found at every run aid station out on the highway. It can be a godsend if you're behind on your electrolytes. You can thank the aide station director for keeping all this stuff straight. :)

After dark Finishers: If you think you might be an after dark finisher (is there any other type?). The course can be a bit confusing to people at the 139 mile point. Once you turn at the hot corner from Palani Rd onto Kukaini it's one mile to the finish line. Turn right at Hualalai Rd. That's in front of the Union 76 gas station. The course is marked but often we have tunnel vision. From there follow it to the end and make the right turn onto Alii Drive. You're 800 meters from the finish now. Enjoy it.

Race day

Body marking is done behind the King Kam hotel. Signs will direct you. You'll also have a couple of places to drop off your special needs bags. From there it's off to your bike and the wait.

The owners of Unision, Ron and Capi, open their shop up very early race morning (by 5 am). If you find yourself sans goggles or anything else you have to have, Ron will likely have it. If you're short on cash (because you're in race gear) leave your name and race number with Ron and pay him back later. Ron is also a 3 or 4 time IMWC finisher. They're located in the Banyan shops very near the pier.

The road isn't truly closed during the race. If you're MOP or later don't be shocked to see a bus near you. They're shuttling volunteers. There is also limited road traffic early during the bike race as some areas are land locked from the race, these are usually workers at Kukhio and they should steer clear of the cyclists. Oh and watch out for the camera crews, we all know they don't always miss the cyclists! Also if you're in the back 1/3 of the cyclists (been there done that), the police will start forcing cyclists over to the shoulder around Waikoloa Road until Waikoloa Beach Road (the resorts). You're supposed to be able to use the highway but it happens every year. They will also let traffic head southbound onto the highway from the resorts as well. Again be careful as the drivers south of the resorts will be speeding well in excess of 70 because the highway is "empty."

Keep in Mind that the staggered swim starts might mean your cutoff time isn't midnight.

Transition area changes

The cement blocks that defined the old transition area tents are gone. Last year's race was the last to use them. In their place were put up some really nice looking big black poles. The area is the same size as before but looks smaller. The entrance should be where it always is and there is an exit on the far side where you always exited – provided someone can find the key to unlock that door.

Bike Shops

There are two brick and mortar shops in town: Bike Works and Cycle Station. Bike Works carries Cervelo and Specialized. Cycle Station is the Trek & Scott Dealer. Find one that you can work with. Either one will work on your bike no matter the make.

The third bike shop is VeloFix Hawaii. Velofix will come to you in his big red van. It's the mobile bike shop.

Bike Works: 808-326-2453

Cycle Station: 808-327-0087

Velofix Hawaii: 808-785-5159 or http://www.velofix.com/locations/kona/

it's best to make arrangements for services prior to your arrival if at all possible. Saying these guys are busy in October is an understatement.

All these shops, including Velofix, have rental bike fleets if you're in need or have a family member that wants to ride while here. Tri, road and mountain bikes.

Rudy Project Retail Shop. See all the latest and greatest Rudy gear. The owner, Carl Kooma, is an artist and runs the Team Mango races as well. Just a short stroll from the pier on the mauka side.

Graphics

Alvin's Graphics in old industrial has dealt with a lot of triathletes over the years. If you need high quality transfers made, decals etc he can help you with them. He won't do copyright violations though. 74-5563 Kaiwi St # 125. same set of buildings as Umeke's.

Grocery stores

KTA: Is a local chain. They have locations on Palani Rd and in the Keauhou Shopping center. They carry grass fed beef (labeled as such) and have the better selection of local produce.
Safeway: On Henry Street. The also carry grass fed beef, it's labeled that way. They also are one of the stores in the state that carry the Paniolo brand beef. That is grass fed Parker Ranch beef.
Sac-N-Save: In the shopping center with Longs.
Island Naturals: In old industrial on Kaiwi. It's now the only Natural Food store in the town.

Coffee Shops Near the Pier

Menehune right by the pier in the King Kam. They will be open for 24 hours on race day.
Kona Coffee and Tea. On Palani in the old Starbucks. Bike Friendly.
Starbucks: Two locations. One is a drive through the other might as well be. Henry and Kuakini and across from Safeway. There's also a Starbuck's in the Queen's Shops at the Waikoloa resorts.
San Francisco Coffee Company: On Ali'i Drive. Yes, they have loads of Kona coffee
Lava Java: Enough said. It's the stop during Ironman. It will be busy.
Hugo's on the Rocks: on the ocean side of Alii across from the Coconut Grove Marketplace.
Kope Lani: Nice coffee shop on the mauka side of Ali`i Drive across from Huliee Palace and next to the old church. Good ice cream as well.
Daylight Mind: Two locations. The first is on Alii Drive on the water. great location to watch the swim. They also had an all day party of 4 deal for last years race. Expensive but all inclusive (including alcohol). The other location is at the Queen's shops in the Waikoloa Resorts.

If you were a fan of Pauline's Express, sorry they closed a few months ago. The operator decided the commute wasn't worth it.

Restaurants

There are a lot of restaurants in town. Some are even good. The best restaurant though is someone's house. :P

Lava Java: For some this the iconic stop for the race. Down in the Coconut grove Marketplace across from the water.
Kona Inn: Full service restaurant and bar. Seafood, beef and everything in between. Their Thai lemongrass soup is no longer served though.
Krua: Good thai food up on Kuakini by Henry Street.
Jackie Rey's: Down Kuakini towards the in town bike turn around. More locals there but you will need a reservation.
Haluakoa Inn: Nice food up in Holualoa.
Volcano House: In Volcano National park.
Kilauea Lodge: Volcano Village near Kilauea. Very good food. Pricey.
Kona Brewing Company: Another iconic stop. It gets extremely busy in October (duh). Get there early. In old Industrial. An easy walk from the King Kam Hotel (up Palani then left on Kuakini to the mauka side then follow the now well marked path).
Umeke's: fresh poke and seafood. They are in the set of building on the mauka side of Kuakini at the corner of Kuakini and Kaiwi. You'll need to go up Kaiwi to the first driveway to access the restaurant. This is also the same building that Avlin's Graphics is in. Alvin does some great work if you're looking for decals, transfers etc.
Annie's: A great place for all types of food including organic, vegetarian and most anything else you can think of. Located on the makai side of the belt highway just at the southern end of Kealakekua

Fun things

Intro scuba dive. Jack's Diving Locker, Kona Honu, Big Island Divers, Kona Ocean Adventures. Too many to mention them all. No traveling to altitude (above 2000 ft) after diving though.

If you're a diver and want to see the majestic manta's, a night manta dive or snorkel is a great way to see these amazing creatures. I've only done the night dive with Jack's so I can't comment on anyone else.

Kona Coffee farm tours: Greenwell farms in south Kona runs a great tour and has free (brewed) samples. Coffee cherry is is very very late this year so things might be in full swing when you're here. Royal Kona much further south often has tours that can be fun when they're drying or processing coffee cherry. The Kona Coffee Living History Farm is a working 1940's coffee farm down near the Greenwell Farm, call ahead for hours.

Guided Island Tours: Kona Adventure Tours is run by Jon Knight. Small groups and a guy that not only knows his stuff but enjoys the job. Hikes through the volcano area, up Hualalai, star gazing on Mauna Loa etc. http://www.konaadventuretours.com/. Hawaii Forest & Trail is still the big company in this market though.

Hawi Town: It's not just the bike turnaround. It's been discovered though so it's a lot more touristy than it used to be.

Volcano National Park (Kilauea). Lava is flowing into the sea again for the first time in several years. There is over land access. Just be careful and carry water and don't wear flip flops for walking there. There is a lava-boat-tour that leaves from Hilo several times a day for viewing the entry. I've only seen pictures: http://www.seelava.com/...ours/lava-boat-tour/

VOG

Volcanic Fog or VOG is an unfortunate reality in Kona. It's been made worse by the summit eruption which began about a decade ago. The pollutants wrap around the island and park here. Luck us. The whole state gets it when the trade winds (north-easterlies) die out. The VOG restricts visibility a bit, gives us the red sunsets and makes us cough a bit. Other than that it shouldn't be much of a problem for folks. http://weather.hawaii.edu/vmap/

Personal Note

My SO and I moved into the heart of Kailua town (less than a mile from the pier) 13 years ago. Things have changed so much during that time. We've found we do not enjoy much of what has changed in town beyond the more people part so earlier this year we purchased some acreage near Waimea (Hawaii Island) and are in the process of designing and building a new home. We will be far removed from the Ironman race course (though ironically we are quite close to the Ultraman World Championship bike course). Things don't happen overnight when you're designing a house from scratch, so I likely have one more year and change as a resident of Kailua Kona before moving. After that though we will have to see just how relevant my observations are and whether someone else might want to step in to continue updating.

As for the IMWC 2016, it will be windy, it will be hot. You will be miserable. You will have fun and it's something you'll never forget – whether or not Mike says the magic words for you. Be safe while you're here, race hard and above all have fun.

Aloha

Edits:

Aug 23: Added Alvin's Graphics, Kope Lani, Annie's, Kona Brewing Company,Daylight Mind Coffee Company, The Running Company, Kona Adventure Tours, Hawaii Forest and Trail, Umeke's Kona Ocean Adventures, a reminder to book your bike services ahead of time if possible and information on VOG.

Aug 24: Coffee Barge information added.

Sept 6: added refueling section in. Thanks for the reminders.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Sep 6, 16 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your annual post is always one of my favorite times of the year. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the post!
:-)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminders! After 3 trips, I still love to read your update.

Aloha!
Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One question for you, if you know. It seems that the San Francisco Bay coffee place is where the Bike Works retail space on Alii Drive has been for the last several years. Do you know if Bike Works is going to have another location on Alii or if they're only going to be selling out of the main space off of the Queen K?

Also, I have to put in a plug for the coffee and ice cream at Kope Lani on Alii drive next to the Mokuaikaua Church. I may regret it if it's ridiculously crowded this year, but for my money they have some of the best coffee in town, and the ice cream speaks for itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whelp, im nervous now lol
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am grateful for the thread- but it is making me nervous(already)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write up! My family and I spend 2-3 months a year in Kona and one of our favorite casual dining places is Umekes Fishmarket Bar and Grill. It is hard to find fish more fresh, unless you catch it yourself.

Nick with Velofix Hawaii is a great wrench, and also a hell of a nice guy. He has been working on my bikes for several years now (he was with one of the brick and mortar bike shops prior to Velofix) and I have zero complaints -- which is more than I can say about my shop back home in AZ.

Lastly, my family and I have been diving with Jeff and the gang at Jack's Diving Locker for many years. They do an amazing job with all levels of snorkelers and divers. I would highly recommend their Manta dive as well as the Pelagic Magic black water night dive -- both are truly spectacular.

Train well, and stay safe. See you all in about 6 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KonaCoffee wrote:
Restaurants

There are a lot of restaurants in town. Some are even good. The best restaurant though is someone's house. :P

Lava Java: For some this the iconic stop for the race. Down in the Coconut grove Marketplace across from the water.
Kona Inn: Full service restaurant and bar. Seafood, beef and everything in between. Their Thai lemongrass soup is no longer served though.
Krua: Good thai food up on Kuakini by Henry Street.
Jackie Rey's: Down Kuakini towards the in town bike turn around. More locals there but you will need a reservation.
Haluakoa Inn: Nice food up in Holualoa.
Volcano House: In Volcano National park.
Kilauea Lodge: Volcano Village near Kilauea. Very good food. Pricey.
When we went last year I put together a list of restaurants (gleaned from Slowtwitch) and we did not have a bad meal all week. In addition to Lava Java, Jackie Rey's and the Volcano House, I would add Big Island Grill, Kona Brewing, Umeke's, and Annies Fresh Burgers.

We rented snorkeling gear for the whole week (it is cheap), did a Luau, Volcano NP, Coffee Plantation tour, and went on a snorkeling tour, in addition to all the race week activities. Plan it out and you can do a lot during the week and not killl yourself for Saturday. Plus then your wife will forget all the hours you spent away training for the last 2 years.

I chronicled all my pre-race activities Here.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have yet to do a full Ironman, I (like most?) hope to get to Kona one day. I enjoy reading your post every year and hope that you or someone continues it until I get there!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thrilled to say that after executing on Sunday in IMCDA, this post is relevant for me!

Any thoughts on whether or not the bike shops will have time or resources to put together a race bike? I'd rather fly with it but I'm not much of a wrench and it's a fully integrated Trek Speed Concept. Hate the idea of shipping with Tri bike transport, too many days spent away from the TT bike.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...blog_Part_I__64.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...log_Part_II__71.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...og_Part_III__72.html

ALways love your threads on the island with updates, and congratulations on your big move out of town. I only ever stay at Waikaiola nowadays, for all the same reasons. For all you newbies, first timers, and history buffs, here is my recollections of the very first Ironman Kona and my experience there...
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike Works has a great staff, but gets stupid busy as the race nears. If you get there early, they will certainly be able to sort your bike. If you arrive during the race week, expect some stress as the wait time for work gets measured in half days or longer.

They will do their very best, but as more and more bikes are complicated super bikes, the workload is exploding for them.

Best,
Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
One question for you, if you know. It seems that the San Francisco Bay coffee place is where the Bike Works retail space on Alii Drive has been for the last several years. Do you know if Bike Works is going to have another location on Alii or if they're only going to be selling out of the main space off of the Queen K?

Also, I have to put in a plug for the coffee and ice cream at Kope Lani on Alii drive next to the Mokuaikaua Church. I may regret it if it's ridiculously crowded this year, but for my money they have some of the best coffee in town, and the ice cream speaks for itself.

Aloha Craig,

I haven't chatted with Vern or Grant at Bike Works about their presence on Alii Drive during Ironman week. I've been more interested in finding out if Hoka is going to actually make their Stinson's wearable again. ;) I will do so next time I'm in the shop and see. I do know they have a load of new merchandise arriving for Ironman Week.

As for Kope Lani, Thanks! For the life of me I couldn't remember their actual shop name. Which is odd as it's one of my personal favorites. I get the Cubano there on a regular basis. I was just in there with my long suffering coach not terribly long ago. I will edit the guide to refelct their name. They are across the street from Hulie`e Palace and next to the oldest Christian church in the islands.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick,

Are you going back this year?

Jack

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [JohnnyMac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JohnnyMac wrote:
Great write up! My family and I spend 2-3 months a year in Kona and one of our favorite casual dining places is Umekes Fishmarket Bar and Grill. It is hard to find fish more fresh, unless you catch it yourself.

Nick with Velofix Hawaii is a great wrench, and also a hell of a nice guy. He has been working on my bikes for several years now (he was with one of the brick and mortar bike shops prior to Velofix) and I have zero complaints -- which is more than I can say about my shop back home in AZ.

Lastly, my family and I have been diving with Jeff and the gang at Jack's Diving Locker for many years. They do an amazing job with all levels of snorkelers and divers. I would highly recommend their Manta dive as well as the Pelagic Magic black water night dive -- both are truly spectacular.

Train well, and stay safe. See you all in about 6 weeks.

Nick Nelson is a great mechanic. He's been working on our bikes for a long time. Bike Works has a new set of mechanics that are just as conscientious as Nick and his cohorts were.

Jack's Diving Locker: Full disclosure time, I worked for them at one time just because I could. Though I left there a long time ago (too much real life work at my then job) I still dive with them on occasion. Another shop I neglected to mention is Kona Ocean Adventures. The Kona coast has the best overall diving in the state. Up north there's Kohala Divers for a bit different area and things to see.

My SO and I are mostly vegan so i tend to forget about Umeke's, my bad. They are good (no we are not always vegan hence why I know about the grass fed beef). I'll add them to the list as well along with their location (Ali`i Plaza -- Kuakini and Kaiwi diagnoally across from Lex Brodie's)

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Aug 23, 16 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Rick,

Are you going back this year?

Jack

I will not be there this year. Hopefully you don't get tied up with work so much this time around and can hang with the BSR crew. (Oh, and kick that run's butt).

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runner Rick wrote:
When we went last year I put together a list of restaurants (gleaned from Slowtwitch) and we did not have a bad meal all week. In addition to Lava Java, Jackie Rey's and the Volcano House, I would add Big Island Grill, Kona Brewing, Umeke's, and Annies Fresh Burgers.

We rented snorkeling gear for the whole week (it is cheap), did a Luau, Volcano NP, Coffee Plantation tour, and went on a snorkeling tour, in addition to all the race week activities. Plan it out and you can do a lot during the week and not killl yourself for Saturday. Plus then your wife will forget all the hours you spent away training for the last 2 years.

I chronicled all my pre-race activities Here.

Kona Brewing didn't get on my list because I forgot and besides they're always crowded dureing the IMWC (go figure) and their menu changed about 18 months ago ;). Still good food though and still good Beer. Incidentally they broke ground for their new pub house just down the street a ways from the current location, it might be ready for the IMWC 2017. They're also one of the locations for one of the many INRM parties this year. INRM = (I'm Not Racing Ironman). Quite a few of those in town -- all held on Friday night prior to Ironman. The one at Kona Brewing is full of people who've done Ironman many times each (and more than a few multiple time Ultraman finishers), long time volunteers and a director or 9.

Annie's: Annie's is a wonderful little place in South Kona on the Makai side of the belt highway. We eat there upon occasion. I'm never sure just how far afield to add things but I'll put them on the list as well. Thanks for the reminder

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
While I have yet to do a full Ironman, I (like most?) hope to get to Kona one day. I enjoy reading your post every year and hope that you or someone continues it until I get there!

i will keep writing these things as long as it makes sense and as long as I'm able. This year i was a bit antsy as I've been more or less injured since before the IMWC 2014. I "raced" that hurt but managed to get a comfortable finish in that horrid wind festival (Time wise. I wasn't racing Billy Kenoi for last male finisher. I was home, showered and watching the live feed when he finished). Since then I've had a couple of other injuries, one minor one not so. So I had a bit of time on my hands (mending up fine now though).

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Bike Works has a great staff, but gets stupid busy as the race nears. If you get there early, they will certainly be able to sort your bike. If you arrive during the race week, expect some stress as the wait time for work gets measured in half days or longer.

They will do their very best, but as more and more bikes are complicated super bikes, the workload is exploding for them.

Best,
Jack

Call the shop you want to work with ahead of time and make arrangements so they know your bike is arriving. Book with Velofix on line or call Nick on the phone number. They get stupid busy that time of the year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome and thank you so much. You don't have to do it, but you do it anyway. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Everything you wrote was spot on and brought a smile to my face. Except the part about how much the town has changed. That's true and sad. Some places ought to remain country.

For fans of Thai Food, check out Original Thai Cuisine. There are other thai restaurants, too many actually, but this one IMO is the best. Mad props for Island Naturals. It's the only health food store in town. If you want Whole Foods or organic co-op type stuff this is the only place.

Do check out Kona Coffee and Tea rather than Starbucks etc.... Their coffee comes from a family run farm. I know the owners. Best coffee on the island. (Was second best, alas the owner of the best tasting coffee closed shop and sold the farm about 2 years ago. I do miss him.....)
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Thanks! Everything you wrote was spot on and brought a smile to my face. Except the part about how much the town has changed. That's true and sad. Some places ought to remain country.

For fans of Thai Food, check out Original Thai Cuisine. There are other thai restaurants, too many actually, but this one IMO is the best. Mad props for Island Naturals. It's the only health food store in town. If you want Whole Foods or organic co-op type stuff this is the only place.

Do check out Kona Coffee and Tea rather than Starbucks etc.... Their coffee comes from a family run farm. I know the owners. Best coffee on the island. (Was second best, alas the owner of the best tasting coffee closed shop and sold the farm about 2 years ago. I do miss him.....)

Kona Coffee and Tea is one of my favorite places. Bike friendly if you're riding there as well. I often have the granola and yogurt when I'm there in the mornings.

Another place to try is Daylight Mind on the water on Ali`i Drive (another edit incoming). they also have a venue in the Queen's shops.

Kona has changed. A lot of it is due to the economy no longer being on the verge of a depression. A lot has to do with Hawaii's weather. A lot has to do with Hawaii's income tax structure on defined benefit plans. It's led to a large number of people here who have no appreciation for the island/state/former nation's uniqueness in the world. It's simply Los Angeles on an island and that's what they want. With all that said, Kailua town is a nice place to visit and have a race. There is a lot of uniqueness here that isn't found elsewhere.

My real troubles in this town are neighborhood related and a sad fact of suburban life. My neighbors have become the neighbors from hell... that would be an upgrade in fact. It will get better. (once the house is built).

Edited out all the gory details. Not relevant

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Aug 23, 16 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Kona Survival Guide (New & Improved and now Gluten Free!) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! I will never KQ but this is invaluable information for those who do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those going to Kona read this phrase from KonaCoffee's great piece and memorize it.

"Also, keep in mind that those that live and work here really don't care why you're in town"

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next