Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting.
Quote | Reply
The start list for this year's Island House Triathlon contains some pleasant surprises....well at least for me. On the women's side the preliminary start list has:

WOMEN
Gwen Jorgensen (USA)
Lisa Norden (SWE)
Flora Duffy (BER)
Alicia Kaye (USA)
Rachel Klamer (NED)
Heather Wurtele (CAN)
Mirinda Carfrae (AUS)
Lauren Brandon (USA)
Leanda Cave (GBR)
Helle Frederiksen (DNK)
Ashleigh Gentle (AUS)
Sarah Haskins (USA)
Meredith Kessler (USA)
Emma Moffatt (AUS)
Magali Tisseyre (CAN)
Jodie Stimpson (GBR)
Caroline Routier (ESP)
Katie Zaferes (USA)

and on the men's side they're showing:

Richard Murray (RSA)
Tim Don (GBR)
Cam Dye (USA)
Leon Griffin (AUS)
Ben Hoffman (USA)
Trevor Wurtele (CAN)
Barrett Brandon (USA)
Tim O’Donnell (USA)
Josh Amberger (AUS)
Sebastian Kienle (GER)
Eric Lagerstrom (USA)
Joe Maloy (USA)
Brent McMahon (CAN)
Mario Mola (ESP)
Tim Reed (AUS)
Aaron Royle (AUS)
Lionel Sanders (CAN)
Jesse Thomas (USA)

It's too bad that Nicola Spirig didn't make the list but with the completely non-draft format it aught to make for one heck of an exciting set of races.

Stage Info Friday, October 28th
Stage 1: Swim Time Trial
Stage 2: Bike Time Trial
Stage 3: Run Time Trial
Saturday, October 29th
Stage 4: Enduro (non-drafting)
Sunday, October, 30th
Stage 5: Top 10 Final
Sprint Race (non-drafting)
With $500,000 on the line, there's enough money to make for some excellent competition.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Aug 28, 16 13:10
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable be interesting. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
The start list for this year's Island House Triathlon contains some pleasant surprises....well at least for me. On the women's side the preliminary start list has:

WOMEN
Gwen Jorgensen (USA)
Lisa Norden (SWE)
Flora Duffy (BER)
Alicia Kaye (USA)
Rachel Klamer (NED)
Heather Wurtele (CAN)
Mirinda Carfrae (AUS)
Lauren Brandon (USA)
Leanda Cave (GBR)
Helle Frederiksen (DNK)
Ashleigh Gentle (AUS)
Sarah Haskins (USA)
Meredith Kessler (USA)
Emma Moffatt (AUS)
Magali Tisseyre (CAN)
Jodie Stimpson (GBR)
Caroline Routier (ESP)
Katie Zaferes (USA)

and on the men's side they're showing:

Richard Murray (RSA)
Tim Don (GBR)
Cam Dye (USA)
Leon Griffin (AUS)
Ben Hoffman (USA)
Trevor Wurtele (CAN)
Barrett Brandon (USA)
Tim O’Donnell (USA)
Josh Amberger (AUS)
Sebastian Kienle (GER)
Eric Lagerstrom (USA)
Joe Maloy (USA)
Brent McMahon (CAN)
Mario Mola (ESP)
Tim Reed (AUS)
Aaron Royle (AUS)
Lionel Sanders (CAN)
Jesse Thomas (USA)

It's too bad that Nicola Spirig didn't make the list but with the completely non-draft format it aught to make for one heck of an exciting set of races.

Stage Info Friday, October 28th
Stage 1: Swim Time Trial
Stage 2: Bike Time Trial
Stage 3: Run Time Trial
Saturday, October 29th
Stage 4: Enduro (non-drafting)
Sunday, October, 30th
Stage 5: Top 10 Final
Sprint Race (non-drafting)
With $500,000 on the line, there's enough money to make for some excellent competition.

I guess I won't be getting an invite this year. I must admit, it does look like a ton of fun.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The men catch a break with Gomez sidelined by injury.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
The men catch a break with Gomez sidelined by injury.

Which stands to make it even more interesting. Now if they had a healthy Javier plus Alistair I'd be willing to fork over some actual $$ to watch that race in real time.

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The men catch a break with no Brownlee!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck of a start list right there!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer about no Spirig. Would be cool to get a rematch in this very interesting format.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
Bummer about no Spirig. Would be cool to get a rematch in this very interesting format.

Seeing that there was a contact link to the Island House Triathlon I thought to myself "what the heck, nothing ventured nothing gained" so I emailed them with the suggestion "it would be fantastic to have Nicola there for their race too" . Shortly after my email went out, a response came back from Luke McKenzie. It turns out they're already working on trying to make it happen. I'm ready to fork over cash to watch that battle if it does happen.

Hugh

Last edited by: sciguy: Aug 29, 16 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah pretty solid list, but a few more names could make it epic, Need a Brownlee there and Spirig and Ryf on the female side.

I would pay to see how Ali Brownlee bike in a non draft bike TT, with competition like Sanders and Kienle it would really show where he fits in.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Aug 29, 16 16:59
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a few days away, any idea how to watch this, I am in Canada?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Hawaii has a $650k prize purse, and this race has a $500k prize purse...

That says something about professional triathlon. Not sure what...
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goes to show how CHEAP WTC is when it comes to prize money. They were bought for $900 million, and yet this small race in the Caribbean can put up similar prize money to the World Championships.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Hawaii has a $650k prize purse, and this race has a $500k prize purse...

Well in a glass half full sense, it says that a few people in each of these races can make more in a day than the average person makes in a year. And that does not include their salaries, bonuses, or start money. And all in a super fun sport that has not been around for very long as far as sports go. SO if these are just a couple weekends where the podium of each can go into the black, leaves a lot of other ones to pad the 401K's!!

Wish I could have raced for that much back in the day, but even what we raced for let us keep doing it as long as you wanted/could, and that is an experience that was invaluable, no price to be put on it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody know how the race is scored this year? Total time? Points?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:

IIRC it's total time. I believe on the third day the athletes will be released by their time differential so that that the first across the line wins.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I inadvertently came across this race on TV last year without any knowledge that such a race existed. Excellent viewing. Does anyone know if it will be telecast this year and if so, when?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Dumples wrote:

IIRC it's total time. I believe on the third day the athletes will be released by their time differential so that that the first across the line wins.

Hugh

That's really really cool
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
Goes to show how CHEAP WTC is when it comes to prize money. They were bought for $900 million, and yet this small race in the Caribbean can put up similar prize money to the World Championships.

That's kind of what I was thinking. But then look at the poor quality of the live broadcast... it's barely above Wayne's World.
For a race that is the foundation of their entire brand, they seem to treat it as nothing more than a cost center.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

What the Island House Triathlon's prize purse really says is that Holowesko really, really likes triathlon and when you have half billion dollars or more, you can do things like this that show it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just noticed this change as part of the 2016 event:

The lucky 10 male and females professionals to make “the cut” after days one and two will compete for the $500,000 on Highbourne Cay on the final day.

So they're narrowing the field down to half after the first two days.

They've also added Non Stanford, Sara True, Ellie Salthouse, Lauren Goss and Holly Lawrence to the women's side along with Terenzo Bozzone and Jorikvan Egdom on the men's side.

A bit less than 3 days until this kicks off.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:

Thanks in advance.

From the race FB page:

Island House Invitational Triathlon - you can follow along on social media (Twitter) as we will try to share video footage (Periscope) where possible. We have a film crew that will produce a one hour show for broadcast early in 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
CementBottle wrote:

Thanks in advance.

From the race FB page:

Island House Invitational Triathlon - you can follow along on social media (Twitter) as we will try to share video footage (Periscope) where possible. We have a film crew that will produce a one hour show for broadcast early in 2017.

yeah, last year you could catch segments on Periscope, so hopefully they have that again and more of them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally looking forward to this. I'll stick to my super early prediction I made in early August. Based on format, give me Duffy for the win.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll predict women's podium of:
1. Jorgensen
2. Duffy
3. Stanford

Mens:
1. Don
2. Murray
3. Mola
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Island House Triathlon - If you haven't looked at the start list yet, the race is liable to be interesting. [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the distances are too short so that non draft aspect I don't think will make much of a difference. I think the ITU guys/gals will clean up. There is a combined time for each discipline prize as well, so fastest cyclist, fastest swimmer, fastest runner, as well as overall winner.

Really looking forward to this, I hope they update their FB page often.
Quote Reply

Prev Next