Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2016 IM Coeur D'Alene recommended places to stay
Quote | Reply
Loving the new race date. Signed up. Looking for suggestions on reasonable places to stay. Never been in that area and know nothing of the race - so tap into the ST knowledge base!!! Thanks for any help!

Quote | Reply
Hampton Inn on Riverstone was nice. It's 2 miles from the start line and there is a bike path that takes you straight there. They had a shuttle bus this year to the race starting at 4:00 a.m. and then they picked me up when the carnage had ended. There are plenty of restaurants, etc. in a large outdoor shopping area right across the street as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 IM Coeur D'Alene recommended places to stay [jar70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to rent a condo or house, I suggest Post Falls - it's a 10-15 min drive to the race and the prices are about half of what you would pay to rent a house within walking distance.

I have done both and while it was convenient to be walking distance, I'd rather save the $1500-1700 premium.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 IM Coeur D'Alene recommended places to stay [cinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
American Country Bed and Breakfast. A little outside of town but the hosts are fantastic and go out of their way for the IM athletes that stay with them. Plus the cost is reasonable. Highly recommended on Trip Advisor, for what it's worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
La Quinta in CdA was good. 2 miles to downtown CdA and the race site. Good buffet breakfast included in the room cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year my wife and I stayed in the Resort / host hotel. It was nice for us not to have to drive anywhere all day Sunday. My wife was able to escape some of the heat going back to the room while I was being crushed by it. That said, with fees and taxes it would have been around $450 per night. I was lucky enough to pick up a discounted stay via ST (thanks ST). $450 per night is way, way too much for me to have paid for the room that we had with no breakfast. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice place, I just would never pay that much for a bed and a shower. My original reservation was at the Hampton Inn. With taxes and fees, that would have been around $300 per night. CDA is a tourist town. CDA is an excellent town. Just go in know you'll pay the rate for a stay in an excellent tourist town. BTY, Tito' was a great Italian restaurant and Jimmy's Down the Street was an awesome breakfast diner.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 IM Coeur D'Alene recommended places to stay [Sronk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All awesome info guys - keep it coming... I have emailed a number of the places you've suggested to get an idea of rates ... ya, 300-450/night is a bit rich for this trigly... would ideally like it to be $200 or less/night - wishful thinking? ;-) Hopefully not..

Thanks again!

Cheers!

JR

PS - If staying a bit of a distance away - how hard is it to get to race site - best to grab a taxi to get back and forth (race morning or bike check in day)?

Quote | Reply
Driving to the race site and parking on bike check-in day is no problem. They have some parking lots booked-off for the event that are adjacent to the expo and transition area. If I recall correctly, they were either free or $1/hour depending on whether they were directly on-site or just across the street. As for race morning, there are again parking lots booked-off just across the street from the transition area, and since they're blocked in by road closures for the bike course, the only people who use them are racers, volunteers, or families/friends who don't need to come and go during the day. Anyways, don't sweat the on-site logistics. The event is extremely well organized and CdA is very easy to navigate within. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at Japan House Suites for IMCDA this year. It's a motel on sherman and 21st
20 blocks from the race start, you can walk - probably 25 minutes walk or bike but it very easy to park your car on race day around indiana&3rd (5 minutes walk from race start).

It was very quiet and clean. It was 200usd/night. They accommodate breakfast for you on race day. There were many triathletes staying there.

Highly recommended!
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 IM Coeur D'Alene recommended places to stay [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually stay at what is now called Baymont Inn and Suites (formerly La Quinta. It's also on Sherman ave, the basic rooms are about $175/night, it's clean, quite and includes breakfast and you are close to downtown
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 IM Coeur D'Alene recommended places to stay [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woodchuck wrote:
I usually stay at what is now called Baymont Inn and Suites (formerly La Quinta. It's also on Sherman ave, the basic rooms are about $175/night, it's clean, quite and includes breakfast and you are close to downtown

+1
Another benefit is you are very close to the bike and run course. You're within about 2 blocks of the 2.5 mile point of the run.

Proud to post only occasionally.

http://tribomber.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My House!

Seriously. I've hosted triathletes for the past 2 years. I live about 1.5 miles from the start - easy access to downtown, but out of the thick of things. I'm willing to rent a room, or the whole place. Either way you have a kitchen to cook in, and plenty of secure storage space for all your gear.

PM me if you're interested.

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We rented a house from VRBO that was 3 miles from transition/race start - down 4th just on the other side of the highway. Race morning traffic was a non-issue, plus we were able to rent a 5 bedroom home with a nice kitchen for less than the price of the resort.

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I stayed at the Roosevelt Inn B&B and it was fantastic. A block away from transition which was really nice on race morning! The B&B was great too, they had a special dinner for the athletes, were super accommodating for all of our breakfast needs, plus they had a massage therapist in house the day after the race. It was awesome! Went to the expo to buy finishers gear, walked back to the b&b to get a fantastic breakfast, massage and then back into my room and slept for hours, it doesn't get any better!

Price was cheaper than the host hotel and the accomodations were great! Highly recommend!!!!

Plus they have a beautiful golden retriever (Rohan) on grounds who is always outside and loves people to through his toys for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we stayed at the Shilo Inn, 2 miles to start. If you like 1970s decor with green carpet, not shag, its a real bargain at $150/night. We registered late and they still had rooms. It served its purpose.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 IM Coeur D'Alene recommended places to stay [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mckenzie wrote:
My House!

Seriously. I've hosted triathletes for the past 2 years. I live about 1.5 miles from the start - easy access to downtown, but out of the thick of things. I'm willing to rent a room, or the whole place. Either way you have a kitchen to cook in, and plenty of secure storage space for all your gear.

PM me if you're interested.

I'll vouch for this one! A friend of our stayed there in 2014 and was really pleased with it. I never went inside, but the outside looked nice, it isn't too far to transition and McKenzie is a good guy.

I've stayed in 3 rental houses or apartments in the past, 2 within walking distance to town and this last time out at Hayden Lake. Hayden Lake was by far the nicest and cheapest, but required a drive in. Parking was no issue at all either pre-race or race morning. That said, staying in town and being able to walk to transition or to restaurants / coffee shops was nice. By the 3rd year though we decided it wasn't worth the premium. Once I am sure the wife doesn't want to do CdA next year I'll share the place we stayed on Hayden Lake. Until then I'm keeping it as my secret since we would definitely stay there again. :-)

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good ideas so far ... If you are looking for less $ but better quality look for motels between Post Falls & Spokane Valley 5-20 miles west. I'm thinking Mari beau Park or others near to Stateline & Liberty Lake. I'd never pay $150 again to stay in the awful Shilo Inn especially during summer. Or Japan House unless I was solo. I bet $150 a night gets you a nicer place 5-20 minutes down the freeway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A slightly different option, but I stayed at an RV Park called Blackwell Island. I would estimate 20 athletes were in the park. The park sits on Lake Coeur D'Alene (swim in the lake whenever you want) and is three minutes from the Sherman Avenue. The bike course also goes by the RV Park four times and thereby offers a nice option for family and friends to support you without straining them too much. Of course, the implication is you need an RV, but we saw a variety of camping vehicles...

...loved the race and the support from the community...

...enjoy your race...

ohhh, and it was $50 a night

Derek
Last edited by: Gigantes8: Jul 9, 15 22:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year my wife and I stayed at a great Airbnb in Post Falls. It was $80/night and included a hot breakfast each day. We had our own room and bathroom. It was 15 min right to the baseball field parking lot. If anyone is interested, DM me and I'll give you the name of our hosts (we aren't going back next year).
Quote Reply