Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers*****
Quote | Reply
Omloop is up first. And apparently it will be sunny for the Omloop for a change.

I got: Kristoff, GvA, and Terpstra, in that order.

Spring Prediction Spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/...3RW2XLLB4/edit#gid=0
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 27, 15 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here I was hoping that you already had a spoiler for us :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Sep Vanmarcke
2) Niki Terpstra
3) Stijn Vandenbergh

Quote | Reply
Niki and everybody else :D

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.Kristoff
2.Vanmarcke
3. GvA
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:

if you can develop a time machine, i'd gladly bring you the spoiler :)

Cobble wrote:
1) Sep Vanmarcke
2) Niki Terpstra
3) Stijn Vandenbergh

don't think anyone is surprised about that pick ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

wiggo and niki go away alone. terpstra takes it. kristoff best of rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

Cobble wrote:
1) Sep Vanmarcke
2) Niki Terpstra
3) Stijn Vandenbergh

Haha, you can't blame me, right? Should be an exciting classics season, I think there are lots of contenders for this weekend but also E3, Gent - Wevelgem, Flanders and Roubaix. We can only hope there's some great man to man type of racing, nobody gets into a bad crash, and the best guys take the win.

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
echappist wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

Cobble wrote:
1) Sep Vanmarcke
2) Niki Terpstra
3) Stijn Vandenbergh

Haha, you can't blame me, right? Should be an exciting classics season, I think there are lots of contenders for this weekend but also E3, Gent - Wevelgem, Flanders and Roubaix. We can only hope there's some great man to man type of racing, nobody gets into a bad crash, and the best guys take the win.

That sounds like Fabian right there ha! (Flanders and Roubaix)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Omloop is up first. And apparently it will be sunny for the Omloop for a change.

Ahem - I thought that we established the proper protocol for picks last year - Cadillac, Steak Knives, Fired!

I'll go with:
Cadillac - GvA
Steak Knives - Sep
Fired - Tomke
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:

That sounds like Fabian right there ha! (Flanders and Roubaix)
Definitely a high possibility there. No doubt he'll be ready.

Quote | Reply
Niki has the team and he proved in Oman that he is shape!

should be a great year of racing for sure!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's the best choice for watching it in the states? Steephill has these links.
http://www.steephill.tv/...het-nieuwsblad/#live

does anyone have any experience with these? and bullett proof suggestion?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
echappist wrote:

Ahem - I thought that we established the proper protocol for picks last year - Cadillac, Steak Knives, Fired!

I'll go with:
Cadillac - GvA
Steak Knives - Sep
Fired - Tomke
opps. my bad. Didn't know we have a man from Downtown Office of Mitch & Murray. I like your picks, and i really hope GvA will win, but i just don't think the course is selective enough to wear down a rampaging Kristoff... We shall see!

dsmallwood wrote:
what's the best choice for watching it in the states? Steephill has these links.
http://www.steephill.tv/...het-nieuwsblad/#live

does anyone have any experience with these? and bullett proof suggestion?
Tunnel Bear provides VPN servers in de Nederlands, which allows you to watch NOS. I think i was able to watch Sporza when i used a Dutch IP address last year; can't quite recall.

Real shame that Eurosport doesn't cover this race...

Also as a PSA. An added benefit of VPN is that you get to watch a lot of programming that you otherwise wouldn't be able to watch. I was interested in the UCI Track Worlds, and BBC carried the broadcast. Netflix co-produced Better Call Saul, and it is available on the British netflix site with a British IP address; the show won't be available on the U.S. Netflix site until May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GvA is going undefeated this spring ;)

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sporza > NOS for all things cycling, also Sporza will show more races and the duration of the broadcast spent to cycling will be longer. I think for de Ronde van Vlaanderen they start at 10am :) On Dutch cable we also get the Belgian channels but I'm fairly sure that when it comes to IP restrictions it's the same as from any other country, meaning you'd need a VPN even if you found a Dutch IP to watch Sporza. Links that are posted here: http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/ usually work for me though, quality is not always the greatest but beggars can't be choosers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping last year's protocol was done and buried...

Pretty tough to bet against Kristoff the way he's going.
1) him
2) Boonen
3) Fenn

Also, Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne is Sunday.
1) Cav
2) Greipel
3) Viviani

I'm most curious to see how GvA, Sagan, Wiggo and Zabel go this classics season.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 24, 15 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched most of the races through cyclingfans last year. What does tunnel bear and NOS provide over that? Better resolution?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If cyclingfan is free, then yeah, Tunnel Bear + whatever else gives you much better resolution.

Tunnel Bear (or other VPN such as Hola for Chrome) allows me access to British Eurosport. Het Nieuwsblad is one of the few major races (other i could think of is the Brabantse Pijl) that Eurosport doesn't cover. Otherwise TunnelBear + Eurosport = access to almost all the cycling races of the year.

VPN to England = access to the BBC, which covered the Track Worlds, and it was high resolution (see screenshots here, the resolution are actually a bit worse). BBC also covered UCI Road Worlds live the past two years. As for the noncycling programming, I've been able to watch shows on Netflix not available in the U.S., BBC's coverage of the world cup, and shows on BBC iPlayer. So yeah, VPN has a lot more utility to me than just bike races, though I did first start using it to get Eurosport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you watch Eurosport straight from web browser with TunnelBear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terpstra is in good form, im still suprised he TT as quick as he did, i didnt know he could throw down like that
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yessir. Though sometimes the streaming speed isn't that high and things become choppy. It never gets as bad as it does on the pirate feeds though. I pay for Eurosport mostly to ease my own conscience when i download the torrents from cyclingtorrents.nl
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
terpstra is in good form, im still suprised he TT as quick as he did, i didnt know he could throw down like that
I believe he allso won one of the 6 day track races with Iljo Keisse this winter. So definitely in good form.

Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I was hoping last year's protocol was done and buried...

I'm most curious to see how GvA, Sagan, Wiggo and Zabel go this classics season.

Sagan will "disappoint" again and I am still not sold on Wiggo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look as though Tinkoff-Saxo are going to be at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad or Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, they're not on the Cycling News start lists or the Race Schedule on their website. That's a shame because I was looking forward to seeing Sagan back in his element, but I guess they're keeping their powder dry for the bigger races leading up to the monuments.

I'm not sure about Wiggo either, but 9th in Paris-Roubaix last year is nothing to sniff at. Similarly for Geraint Thomas, he's been up there in the classics for the last couple of years, I'd love to see him get a big win this season, although I'm not sure where it might come from, I think he might be more suited to the Ardennes classics.
Quote Reply

Prev Next