Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 Nutrition Plan
Quote | Reply
Found a better mousetrap for getting all my nutrition for the 2015 season. 240 calories, 31 g of carbs per serving and it tastes great. It's just a matter of time before the secret is out.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [HBB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HBB wrote:
Found a better mousetrap for getting all my nutrition for the 2015 season. 240 calories, 31 g of carbs per serving and it tastes great. It's just a matter of time before the secret is out.

congrats. With half of each serving coming from fat and protein, I hope you are in my age group, and that everyone else in my age group finds out the secret and races with it too

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be more aero on its side

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May contain tree nuts and wheat.

Exactly what is Nougat?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it has 90 mgs of sodium per serving as well... How can you go wrong ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earlier this summer I had a consult with one of the most respected guys in exercise phys and nutrition. During the consult he told me when he raced he would eat a Pop-Tart before the race and a Snickers for recovery. He said the other racers would look at him funny for it, but he told me they contained everything he needed to race. One of his colleagues told me sports nutrition doesn't have to be expensive to be effective. Maybe you really don't want your race competitors to learn this secret.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read in many, many sports and endurance journals that "Snickers Satisfies" or maybe I just heard that on a commercial
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've eaten at least one during every race I've done in the past two years. I think they work pretty well. Calories, it tastes good, and your body will burn the sugar right away.

Quote | Reply
I prefer twix, but I agree with you.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Earlier this summer I had a consult with one of the most respected guys in exercise phys and nutrition. During the consult he told me when he raced he would eat a Pop-Tart before the race and a Snickers for recovery.

well, the OP posted that as a joke, but now that we are on to serious and respected nutrition guys - it sounds like he may have purchased his nutrition degree online from the University of Lagos...

TPerry wrote:
One of his colleagues told me sports nutrition doesn't have to be expensive to be effective.

That's very true. Personally I don't buy any expensive nutrition products - I have a 50lb bucket of maltodextrin and a 50lb bucket of fructose that I bought for $80 - that's all I race with (plus the occasional snickers in special needs, but that's because it tastes awesome not because it's great fuel!). This year I started experimenting with UCAN which is expensive, but I don't use a lot and I mainly use it for race day breakfast, so $40 lasts me the whole year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the more serious side, the only reason I wouldn't use that is because chocolate melts and leaves a huge mess in the process. If chocolate didn't melt, I would eat that in a heartbeat on a long ride!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, however, keeping it in the freezer prior to the race does a good job.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
TPerry wrote:
Earlier this summer I had a consult with one of the most respected guys in exercise phys and nutrition. During the consult he told me when he raced he would eat a Pop-Tart before the race and a Snickers for recovery.

well, the OP posted that as a joke, but now that we are on to serious and respected nutrition guys - it sounds like he may have purchased his nutrition degree online from the University of Lagos...

TPerry wrote:
One of his colleagues told me sports nutrition doesn't have to be expensive to be effective.

That's very true. Personally I don't buy any expensive nutrition products - I have a 50lb bucket of maltodextrin and a 50lb bucket of fructose that I bought for $80 - that's all I race with (plus the occasional snickers in special needs, but that's because it tastes awesome not because it's great fuel!). This year I started experimenting with UCAN which is expensive, but I don't use a lot and I mainly use it for race day breakfast, so $40 lasts me the whole year.

I see you save money during the tri season so you can spend the left over money on the Decemeber Jan Ullrich approved nutrition plan. Remember, that if you gain two more kilos, your weighing scale is pre programmed to automatically trigger a prompt via bluetooth to a sensor strategically planted near your house that will use your wifi network to get into your service provider network and back into into the cloud, where Active.com's servers, picked up this message and using your credit card on file automatically register for events you have not even signed up for so that the Jan plan does not get out of hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lmao that shit is gonna clog your arteries bro has anyone heard of ldl?! I'm tryna be vascular af. I'd add electrolytes to the malto fructose mix
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Dec 23, 14 2:01
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there's one thing women love, it's a vascular man!

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why I use Payday for my ride/race treat - no chocolate to melt but similar insides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Don't forget a plan for the race! http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/7/1/209
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
...when he raced he would eat a Pop-Tart before the race and a Snickers for recovery. He said the other racers would look at him funny for it, but he told me they contained everything he needed to race. One of his colleagues told me sports nutrition doesn't have to be expensive to be effective. Maybe you really don't want your race competitors to learn this secret.

I accidentally found this out last summer. I bought a huge box of Pop Tarts from Costco but ate 2 and decided they were horrible. 6 weeks before moving home I decided I didn't want to waste them and started eating them on training rides. They're surprisingly easy to eat when you're hydrated (and gives you an indication of when you're dehydrated if you can't get them down), they're individually wrapped and packed full of calories. The downside was a couple times it would break in half and the road gods would swallow it up. Definitely made me reconsider just doing most of my training year-round on real food (i.e. food with micronutritional value - if that's a word) and then switching to energy drinks for convenience during race build up and races.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [ianatoly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianatoly wrote:

Don't forget a plan for the race! http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/7/1/209

I know the thread is about a year-plan, but since you mention a race-day long-course triathlon nutrition plan, I should mention that I created a tool to better plan/analyse such a plan than the wild ass guesses many people seem to take. You're welcome to try it.
It's not always easy to get a good handle on things like your exact sodium intake, or your likely caffeine level given that caffeine has a half-life of ~5 hrs (too much caffeine is shown to be detrimental, too little and you may be missing potential benefits).
It's a web-app built upon a google-doc, so if you have a google account, just fill out the form (link here) and you'll receive an email with the info and a link to the tool in your google-drive.
You use drop-down menus to quickly describe your race plan and it provides a breakdown of most of the useful data in table and graph form.
The tool has a large library of triathlete's typical pre-race and in-race foods, containing all constituent info. You can add unlisted foods to your personal food library, and optionally submit them to the global library, where it trickles back to all users.
Here are some sample images from the tool. It's still in beta, but a few guys found it useful for Kona & IMFL. It can store several races, and provides warnings if certain levels are well outside typical ranges.
I don't want to hijack the thread with feedback, folk can PM me. I'll start a thread about the tool at some point.
Doug
http://www.triathlonlog.com/...tion-evaluation-tool

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks pretty cool. Might have to try it.

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Nutrition Plan [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooooh I like that spreadsheet. Will fiddle with it for sure.

*edit* fixed.
Last edited by: lordhong: Jan 16, 15 6:02
Quote Reply