Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 Isoman Results
Quote | Reply
For the few who might be interested, the first Isoman (7.0 mi swim/61.3 mi bike/26.2 mi run) did indeed take place in Great Britain in July, with 49 competitors starting the full Isoman and 30 finishing. The men's winner went 9:32 and the top woman 11:30 for 4th overall. The Iso organizers also put on a half and a quarter Isoman, plus you could do any one part by itself, or any two parts of the same race, so they had around 300 or so athletes total. Full results are at the link below; click on the results 2015 tab on the upper right side.

https://www.isomantri.com/...#F0=WISO01_StartPage

For those who missed the Isoman thread of a few months back, the Isoman distances are based on the idea that the time length of each leg of the race should be roughly equal if the athlete is equally skilled and conditioned for all three parts, so the Isoman is one of a very few races which use this philosophy.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Isoman Results [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to observe that in the full, the run time is notably longer than swim and bike, while in the half and quarter they're much closer to equal. Presuming they're using the same route, does this simply mean that the full distance athletes weren't able to pace their energy expenditure correctly?

A possible confounding factor would be the "Most Equal Athlete" award, but it doesn't seem to have affected the full distance racers times.

Would you suggest an "athlete's choice" of sequencing of the three events to confirm effort per distance equality? :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Isoman Results [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aahydraa wrote:
Interesting to observe that in the full, the run time is notably longer than swim and bike, while in the half and quarter they're much closer to equal. Presuming they're using the same route, does this simply mean that the full distance athletes weren't able to pace their energy expenditure correctly?
A possible confounding factor would be the "Most Equal Athlete" award, but it doesn't seem to have affected the full distance racers times.
Would you suggest an "athlete's choice" of sequencing of the three events to confirm effort per distance equality? :)

Indeed, that is an interesting observation and TBH, I had not looked as closely at the "Most Equal" chart as you have, until now. After pondering it a bit, my thought is that this demonstrates the "sliding scale" between swimming/cycling and running, e.g. the swimmer/cyclist can maintain a higher %age of their max pace longer than the runner can, b/c they are not having to support their full weight. This is demonstrably true if you look at the fall-off of WRs in the respective sports. It's a bit harder to demonstrate in cycling b/c it is not a very WR oriented sport, but the effect is still there. So, i think as a result of this sliding scale, the swim and bike might need to increase more in proportion to the run, e.g., perhaps an 8-mi swim and 75-mi bike to go with the 26.2 run. Of course, we should see this effect in going from the quarter to the half but perhaps we did not have enough entrants to fully demonstrate in these races.

Regarding the "athlete's choice" option, i think you'll always need to have the swim first just for safety, and to have any finishers at all:) You could potentially allow people to choose run/bike or bike/run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
For the few who might be interested, ...
Ericmulk, you know I am 'in'... perhaps in the UK next summer (July 2, 2016 is the tentative date)... but certainly if an even shows in the USofA!

Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
For the few who might be interested, ...
Ericmulk, you know I am 'in'... perhaps in the UK next summer (July 2, 2016 is the tentative date)... but certainly if an even shows in the USofA!

Ya, i'm thinking about doing it next year. Dirtymangos was going to do it this year and taken his swim workouts up to 8500 yd/day, but he waited too late to buy his plane tickets and, IIRC, they went up from around $600 in Jan to around $2400 in June for the trip in July. So, i'll need to decide and commit by the end of this year. This is the first race in a long time i've actually been excited about doing:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is as ericmulk says.
I suspect that the airlines will do the same thing this year.
July is a very popular time to go to England.

A note:
The added swim volume did wonders for my swimming. (And I hadn't even started to add intensity yet).

I did a pool serpentine 750M swim (as part of a sprint tri) in 9:20- not even going too hard.
And I had the fastest swim split at Calgary 70.3. (Potts etc. made a wrong turn that cost them time).
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Isoman Results [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
It is as ericmulk says.
I suspect that the airlines will do the same thing this year.
July is a very popular time to go to England.
A note:
The added swim volume did wonders for my swimming. (And I hadn't even started to add intensity yet).
I did a pool serpentine 750M swim (as part of a sprint tri) in 9:20- not even going too hard.
And I had the fastest swim split at Calgary 70.3. (Potts etc. made a wrong turn that cost them time).

23:33 at Calgary??? Best swim by 1:08, albeit with an "asterisk" due to Potts' wrong turn. Did the pros start early or were you literally first OOW and first on the bike???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 Calgary was a wave start.
So no - I was not first out of the water.
Most of the pros were quite a ways in front and the rest of the amateurs were a long way behind.

The result was that I saw only two other competitors during the whole 56 mile bike.

One was an slow swimming pro who blew by me at mile 2. The other was a fast riding amateur who caught me at mile 55.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Isoman Results [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
70.3 Calgary was a wave start.
So no - I was not first out of the water.
Most of the pros were quite a ways in front and the rest of the amateurs were a long way behind.

The result was that I saw only two other competitors during the whole 56 mile bike.

One was a slow swimming pro who blew by me at mile 2. The other was a fast riding amateur who caught me at mile 55.

Well, that's still quite good, leading the amateur race until almost the end of the bike:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
aahydraa wrote:

Indeed, that is an interesting observation and TBH, I had not looked as closely at the "Most Equal" chart as you have, until now. After pondering it a bit, my thought is that this demonstrates the "sliding scale" between swimming/cycling and running, e.g. the swimmer/cyclist can maintain a higher %age of their max pace longer than the runner can, b/c they are not having to support their full weight. This is demonstrably true if you look at the fall-off of WRs in the respective sports. It's a bit harder to demonstrate in cycling b/c it is not a very WR oriented sport, but the effect is still there. So, i think as a result of this sliding scale, the swim and bike might need to increase more in proportion to the run, e.g., perhaps an 8-mi swim and 75-mi bike to go with the 26.2 run. Of course, we should see this effect in going from the quarter to the half but perhaps we did not have enough entrants to fully demonstrate in these races.

Regarding the "athlete's choice" option, i think you'll always need to have the swim first just for safety, and to have any finishers at all:) You could potentially allow people to choose run/bike or bike/run.

I agree with the sliding scale theory. My suggestion though is that most of the athletes who participated in the full event *may* have overestimated their abilities and undertrained for the swim phase (hey, for the Fishes, EVERYBODY else does this =))). I think they may have a planned time in mind for each event, find that they actually had to push more than expected for the swim, forced a higher pace in the bike to equilibrate (not that difficult) and then crashed trying to reach the target time in the run when relatively burnt out from the bike.

I'll be watching next year's event, especially since several athletes who are well balanced in the swim leg (including you!) will hopefully be doing the race.

In an athlete's choice event, I would suggest pool swims, flat bike and flat run routes in order to make sure terrain doesn't affect either leg times or safety. The athlete's sequencing hopefully would let us find out if overexertion in earlier events are affecting the times of the subsequent ones. This should also make some triathletes stop complaining about the swim leg being unfair =).

Finally, is there anything that would prevent you or anyone else from setting up a similar race in the US? It would really be great to have an equivalent event that would be more accessible and hopefully less expensive! If you're taking requests, West coast please haha.
Last edited by: aahydraa: Sep 3, 15 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Isoman Results [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aahydraa wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
aahydraa wrote:

Regarding the "athlete's choice" option, i think you'll always need to have the swim first just for safety, and to have any finishers at all:) You could potentially allow people to choose run/bike or bike/run

I agree with the sliding scale theory. My suggestion though is that most of the athletes who participated in the full event *may* have overestimated their abilities and undertrained for the swim phase (hey, for the Fishes, EVERYBODY else does this =))). I think they may have a planned time in mind for each event, find that they actually had to push more than expected for the swim, forced a higher pace in the bike to equilibrate (not that difficult) and then crashed trying to reach the target time in the run when relatively burnt out from the bike. I'll be watching next year's event, especially since several athletes who are well balanced in the swim leg (including you!) will hopefully be doing the race. In an athlete's choice event, I would suggest pool swims, flat bike and flat run routes in order to make sure terrain doesn't affect either leg times or safety. The athlete's sequencing hopefully would let us find out if overexertion in earlier events are affecting the times of the subsequent ones. This should also make some triathletes stop complaining about the swim leg being unfair =). Finally, is there anything that would prevent you or anyone else from setting up a similar race in the US? It would really be great to have an equivalent event that would be more accessible and hopefully less expensive! If you're taking requests, West coast please haha.

Hmmm, well, based solely on my experiences with swimming long distances, i kinda think you fall into a pace that feels fairly comfortable at the start, and then increase the pace over the last 1/3 of the race if you can, and this would be assuming you're just doing a swim race. If it is an OW race and you can draft, i might do that although TBH I have never had much luck with that. I just don't trust other people not to go off course, so i would rather lead than follow. But anyway, i think you swim at a comfortable pace in the Isoman, then bike at a comfortable pace, and then see how well you can do on the run after all the other. You might feel comfy for the first half of the mary, or even first 20 mi, but then it just all comes apart. And, i tend to think that could happen on the bike too, if you did the run 2nd, and bike 3rd, e.g. the last 30 mi it is all you can do to crank the pedals at 15 mph.

The idea of doing the swim in a pool such that you could in theory do it 3rd if you wanted, definitely has merit, but i myself would stick to the traditional SBR order of events, just b/c it seems kind of natural to me after all these years. Also, some of the worst, hardest swims i've ever done were after a bike/run workout:)

Regarding putting on an "Isoman-like" race, i have certainly thought about that but to date have not tried to organize one. I live in the southeastern U.S. so sorry but the first one wouldn't be on the west coast. I think i would call it "Equilateral Man" b/c that is more geometrically accurate, as only an equilateral triangle has all three sides of equal length. The isosceles triangle only has 2 sides of equal length, so they kind of missed the boat geometrically, although Isoman is a bit catchier than "EquiMan" or "EqualMan". Or, we could call it the "Triathlon for Equality"; that should get a lot of media buzz:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ericmulk,

I love the idea of this race. A good friend of mine led the half until the run and then got run down to finish 3rd.

Are you going to adapt it at all for 2016 based on the finish times from this year? Looking at the splits it seems that technically, in the race environment, the majority of splits were not equal. Would you consider shortening the marathon or increasing the other two disciplines so that the average competitor is more equal across the disciplines?

I know it is based on WR splits but this doesn't seem equal when you combine them?

There was a great review in Triathlon 220 magazine, are entries up for 2016 so far?

Its a week after IM 70.3 UK but I'm keen to come up and have a go at the quarter distance.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Isoman Results [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jac2689 wrote:
Ericmulk,
I love the idea of this race. A good friend of mine led the half until the run and then got run down to finish 3rd.
Are you going to adapt it at all for 2016 based on the finish times from this year? Looking at the splits it seems that technically, in the race environment, the majority of splits were not equal. Would you consider shortening the marathon or increasing the other two disciplines so that the average competitor is more equal across the disciplines?
I know it is based on WR splits but this doesn't seem equal when you combine them?
There was a great review in Triathlon 220 magazine, are entries up for 2016 so far?
Its a week after IM 70.3 UK but I'm keen to come up and have a go at the quarter distance.

Jac - I am not one of the organizers of this race but rather just an interested observer. If you go to the Isoman website (http://www.isomantri.com/...#F0=WISO01_StartPage), there is a "Contact us" button in the upper middle of the web page, so you could ask if they are thinking of revising the distances at all but AFAIK they are not. Next year's race is on 2 July 2016 so it is a bit earlier than this year. Also, just for the record I didn't do the race this year but am thinking about doing it next year or in 2017. If I were going to fly all the way over there (i.e. I live in the eastern U.S.), I'd be planning to do the full race:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh sorry, I must have misread something somewhere.

Hope to see you on the start line.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Isoman Results [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jac2689 wrote:
Oh sorry, I must have misread something somewhere. Hope to see you on the start line.

Jac - No problem, I did say above in post 12 that i had thought about organizing a similar race here in the U.S. but, TBH, i'm just not really the "organizer type". I am happy though to see another person interested in this type of race; I think we're about 1% of ST at the most:)

Quote Reply