Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG
Quote | Reply

IMTX 2015 Race Report

LEADUP:

IMTX was to be my 5th Ironman (3 IMFL, 1 Kona). Preparation would be different this time around due to changing family and work circumstances. Of course the actual plan is very detailed, but the short version was I would sleep much less than usual and try to train as much as possible to be ready. Kona 2014 wasn’t what I wanted, and I intended to give everything in preparation for IMTX to get another shot at the big island.

I managed to have new CTL peaks for run/ride/swim, I matched my best FTP, my peak run times were looking pretty good and I had some of the best swims I had done in years. On the down side, I had real trouble getting to race weight.

I can train hard, I can cut calories, I can miss sleep, I can even do 2 of those things simultaneously, trying to do all three wasn’t working and what had to give was the calorie deficit. As soon as I let that go, training picked up and I thought I would be ready. Besides, 143 at 5’7” is not exactly huge and it wasn’t fat that I was gaining either, I am pretty sure it was swimming muscle (more on that in a minute).

I was a little scared of this race. I proved to myself that I could run in heat and humidity at Kona, but that was in October following months of SE Louisiana summer that made Kona look like a fall day. I tried to simulate some of that in the lead up to IMTX, but I knew that the simulations were just not the same as July/August in New Orleans. I wanted to race aggressively and I knew the risk was that I might suffer at the end of the day, but nothing ventured nothing gained, I would leave everything out there and not have to worry that I went too easy at some point of the race.

RACE MORNING:

Race morning was the usual stuff (breakfast, hydrate, and bathroom) with the exception that I wouldn’t see my wife before the gun. Ironbaby adjusted our routines and while that good bye kiss before the gun is my second favorite moment of the day, I was happy to think that Ironwife and Ironbaby were warm and snuggly while I was pumping up the tires in the mud hole that was transition. They got me to the start line of another Ironman and that was more than I could ask for, I thought about them the whole time I was getting ready and all I could really think was that I hoped they were sleeping well and would have an easy time getting down to the run course later.

It rained all week at The Woodlands and the grass transition area was an absolute mud hole. That slowed things down some, but a little mud isn’t that big a deal, we all carried on and got ready and then took the long walk to swim start.

SWIM:

Swim start would be a self seeded time trial this year. I got there just in time to see the lady pros leave and to get myself into the area around that 1 hour banner. Here is a little pet peeve of mine. I am standing at the 1 to 1:10 sign. I am not a super-fast swimmer, but I am very predictable and consistent. 5 ironman swims (plus the practice swim at Kona) all between 1:01 and 1:06 - wetsuit, no wetsuit, fresh water, salt water, ocean, hot, cold whatever, very consistent. I am standing at this 1 to 1:10 sign and there are probably a few hundred people in front of me standing beyond the “sub 1 hour” banner. After the race I would check how many AGs went sub 60 minutes, it’s about 50 people. This my complaint about the time trial start. It would be very easy to seed people based on previous swims; mini rant over.

Mike Reilly starts yelling “GO GO GO,” no cannon for us and we are off. As expected, I spend about the first 10 minutes or 600 meters in a washing machine passing people. After that is finished, things start to settle down and everyone seems to be similar pace, we all just cruise along for a while. Eventually I see the red turn buoy (which appears a little right of the line of other buoys) so I vector toward it and really have no contact until I make that turn and the next one and head toward the canal.

This side of the course is a little narrow, so I can see people on land cheering, which is cool and helps pass the time. I always find IM swims pretty dull and boring. I am cruising along for what seems like forever, I feel fine, I think I am swimming around my 1:30 SCY pace, which in open water might be a little faster/slower with a speed suit and the draft.

We hit the canal and it is not as congested as I was expecting, which indicated to me that I must be swimming pretty well and beating the masses to the turn. Canal goes quick and I am running with my T1 bag before you know it. Goal time was 1:05 and I swam 1:02:31. Not an IM Swim PR, but for the conditions, it was definitely my best IM swim (no wetsuit, fresh water, can’t see squat, etc). The extra few pounds I am carrying helped on the swim; how it would affect the rest of the day remained to be seen.

T1

Transition was simple, swim skin down, bag open and helmet on while running. Hit the tent, skin off, jersey on and run like hell in the mud while zipping up. Shoes were allowed on the bike at this IM, so that was one less thing. T1 goal time was 4 minutes and I was out in 3:46. Everything was on schedule.

BIKE

I intended to take a risk on the bike at this race. I knew that I needed to have a great race to get my Kona slot and I knew that in previous IMs, I was able to negative split the 26.2. I always thought that was nice, but that it probably meant that I left time on the bike. This time I was going to be more aggressive, not stupid aggressive, not suicidal aggressive, just push things a bit. I planned to push 80%FTP. Which should have put me right at 200 watts.

The ride starts off with a good bit of twisting and turning so there wasn’t much peddling to do, when things finally settled in, I was at an NP of 188 watts. I figured that I would try to keep the 3s power around 200 and let the NP catch up.

Early on there is some passing here and there, I see very little traffic generally, I only see one blatant drafter, I do see several course marshals keeping it clean out there. Many of us were riding near each other, but keeping it clean. Honestly, there were way more hills that I expected or am used to, so I am sure that I crept into a draft zone here or there, but me and the guys and gals around me were keeping to the spirit of the law all the time and the letter of the law nearly all of the time.

At one point a Big Sexy Racing Team mate of mine blows past me like I have a flat tire. I knew him and he was in my AG. When he went by I said . . . that must be what a Kona slot looks like and I have nothing like that today. He was LONG GONE.

Nutrition plan was same as Kona, slam the fluids and the salt and the calories. For me that meant 1 bottle at every aid station (11 total) plus my concentrated calorie/salt/caffeine bottle. That was going well as I was filling/emptying my bladder the whole ride. Over 400 cals per hour and 48 ozs as well.

NP dipped to around 183 around the half way point (some crap pavement out there was really sucking the life out of me), but once we cleared that, I felt great and begin to pull it back up again. By the time the ride was closing, I was feeling my strongest of the day, the NP was up around 186 and I was happy. I didn’t hit the 200 target, but I attributed that mostly to coasting down the long descents where I would empty out the bladder some and also get off the saddle to relieve the beating I was taking from the pavement.

I cruise into transition with the usual IM feeling: " Damn I am happy to be off this bike, I wonder if my legs really can go run a marathon now." Bike goal was 4:53, I did 5:04:08. Honestly, my goal was not realistic, I had no idea that this “flat” race was this hilly or that the winds would be so consistently brutal. For the watts that I rode, the split was solid and I was still on target for what I thought COULD be a borderline Kona Qualifying time.

T2

I run right into T2 with my bag without skipping a beat. Plan is to put on socks and shoes, swap jerseys and run with everything in my hands and deal with that as I go. Me and the volunteer have a little communication issue and I probably lose 30 seconds with him unpacking and repacking my bag. No big deal, I am grateful he is volunteering and doing his best. I thank him and I am out. Goal was 4 minutes and I was out in 4:24. Not bad considering at this point that the change tent looked like monster truck rally had taken place in there.

RUN

I have run a 3:25 off the bike in really good conditions, I ran a 3:4x in Kona last year. I wanted to run 3:3x today and I was going to push to try and make that happen (no risk no reward). I started running and soon realized that this course is not a very easy course to run fast (not referencing the weather, but the actual path). I let that bother me some on the first lap.

There is a steep grass and dirt hill that you have to navigate around 0.25. There is a mini aid station at the top of the hill, but then you zig zag back on forth through what seems like a parking area. By the time I get to the first real aid station, I am begging for ice and water to dump on myself. This day is going to be nasty and I should have started to ease up right then (how cruel hind sight can be).

I am cruising along; when running, I am at 8:00 pace, when the aid stations get averaged in, I am holding on to probably 8:15 all through the first lap. I am getting it done, but it seems WAY harder than it usually would be for me at this point. There is AWESOME crowd support around mile 5 or 6 and then again around 8 and 9, but I find that the aid stations are not really a mile apart and I spend the first lap getting used to this, some seem a good bit further than others, of course it seems like that happens on the hottest part of the course too.

On the first lap, I get to see the Ironwife and Ironbaby twice. I choke back the tears that these moments always try to draw from me and I keep it moving. I know how much they give to get me in these races and it always hits me when I am out there killing it and they are there waving. I hit the Big Sexy Racing crew near the end of lap one and they give me a good boost. It's the end of lap one and things are still holding together.

Sometime around this point, I pass the team mate that toasted me on the bike. I wish him well and realize that this day is going to have a very high attrition rate as the temps and humidity are already starting to take their toll on some really outstanding athletes.

Around mile 10, things started to get tough. Tough like I have never dealt with in a race before. I was definitely hydrated, I had urinated during the run, I thought I was pacing properly, but maybe for this temp/humidity I was wrong (80 to 85 degrees dew point over 70). I thought I had been hitting my calories, but I couldn’t be sure because I wasn’t thinking all that clearly at this point. I hit a couple extra gels and kept filling up the shirt with ice and kept moving. Pace was really starting to suffer now.

Now including the stations I was only holding about 8:35 to 8:45; to compound matters, the lap traffic was starting to build at the stations so it was getting harder to get what was needed let alone do so in a hurry. I keep on pressing and somehow manage to finish lap 2 (only saw the family for a brief second that time, which sucked). I am really suffering now and all I can think is that there is solace in giving everything, there is nothing more you can give and that is what I was going to do. At this point, I wasn’t thinking of KQ or sub 10 or anything other than keep running, run to the next aid station, run to the next turn, just don’t stop running, left, right, left, right, left.

Somewhere around mile 20, I tell myself you can run 6 miles hard in your sleep, stop being a lazy sack of crap and go finish this thing. Around this time we go into the shade on a wooded path, it also feels downhill. I am once again moving well. Around then I see Chris McDonald riding a bike toward me (he was DNF with a mechanical) and he tells me I am crushing it. Damn right I am crushing it, I am in the shade with 10k to go and this is downhill.

I come out of the shade and turn to an open area towards an aid station. I am still feeling OK, but I have no delusions that I can press like this until the end, the sun hits me and again I am in survival mode. I walk the aid station and try to fill up on ice and water, but it is tough with all the people on the course at this point. The choice was to stop and get aid or to walk through and grab whatever you could without pausing. I wasn’t going to stop because I didn’t know if I could start again.

I push and press and pray I am still pushing 8:40s but some a little slower. Around mile 24 I see the next aid station, I tell myself, just get yourself there and worry about the last two miles after that. At this point, I am usually flying home, but not on this day! Aid station 24 is just cruel, you have to run up a hill toward it, then put you back to it and run away from it, then turn around and finally run back at it. At this point, it was crushing me mentally.

I get through that station and tell myself to bust ass and work these last two miles, but the legs just won’t go. It takes me a little coaxing but finally I get moving (that mile took me 10:28!) I ran as hard as I could that last mile. Again there are problems with this course that really make it tough to run hard (around here you had to navigate a couple flights of stairs and there were some back and forth winding through an ally of sorts). I turn into the final chute (slight downhill) and I make a U-turn at the bottom.

I am going to run hard this last 100 yards, then right as I hit the carpet, my left hamstring locks up. For a split second, I panic and think that I am going to have to go “Julie Moss” on this god damn race. Mike Reilly is yelling at me, there is no one else coming through and I figure out how to peg leg hobble across the line like Jack Sparrow or something (video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8IbTaSRyrA)

I get it done and immediately get “caught” by the volunteers and start to joke with them about how great I feel. We all have a good laugh and I see my Ironwife pushing the stroller off to the right and I know that all is well with the world. I have no idea what my time is (the time trial start had the clock showing something that I knew was wrong), I didn’t know where I was placed in the AG, all I wanted to do was get through the chute, get cooled off, and kiss the Ironwife and Ironbaby.

Run time 3:48 final time 10:03

AFTERMATH

As it turns out, even with all the excitement, noise, music, cowbells, etc., Ironbaby was passed out fast asleep in the stroller. He was not a witness to nor impressed with Dada’s struggle to get across the line!

Post-race is like most others, I try to eat something (fail), try to drink something (almost fail), try to get to the massage tent and get lucky to have someone work on me a little. For some reason there are no chairs and no shade setup in the post-race area, so I grab the morning clothes bag, get changed and head for a celebratory cheeseburger with the Family.

This race destroyed me. I crossed the line and really asked myself what the hell I was thinking and why the hell would I consider doing this again. Those thoughts have of course subsided and I am already thinking of the next challenge.

I don’t think I want a piece of IMTX again. The logistics were pretty tough on the family (race hotel is a walk from transition which is a walk from swim start); the bike course really had some rough areas and the run course (while it has amazing support in some places) really wasn’t much fun in others (stairs, alleyways, out and backs).

I did attend roll down the next day on the off chance of a miracle occurring (which it didn’t). I gave everything I had at this race, but my performance wasn’t good enough and it also didn’t help that my AG was stacked and loaded this year (62nd Overall Male Amateur, but 19th in M35-39).

No idea what is up next, but I am proud of the effort and grateful that I had the chance to race IMTX. Soon I will sit down with the Ironwife and figure out what we can do next.

I am so grateful for the Big Sexy Racing Team, their on course cheering section, and the amazing sponsors that they have put together for us (Cobb Cycling, Spy Optics, Zoca Apparel, Ruby’s Lube, and many others). Truly lucky to be a part of such a kick ass crew.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Last edited by: Jim Martin: May 22, 15 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the middle of some meetings, but congrats. I want to share some thoughts with you. The cool thing about Ironman, is there are always things that derail us. The entire event is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. Part of the reason I keep coming back is the intellectual challenge of figuring the race out on that day. I can do a 5K or 10K run and get far more "racing satisfaction"....those races are largely physical exercises. On Ironman day, its more of a mental exercise than physical one. Everyone is fit, but getting your PB or best result is more a matter of how you manage resources. I think you did just fine and are being hard on yourself and will be back at Kona soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos Jim on a solid race. It was definitely the kind of day for a blow up on the run. Breaking 4 hours is a victory in itself for this day. Looking at our age group, out of the 22 people who went under 5 hours on the bike, 10 of them (including myself) didn't break 4 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race, early season hot races are very, very difficult - the people who excel at them are out of this world.

at half iron and iron I prefer heart rate targets, particularly in early season races. Just because 200 watts may have been fine on a 75 degree day, but not in the heat of central Texas on that day.

On the other hand, you said you knowingly took a risk on the bike. You needed to ride 200 watts and then run well. It didn't work out, you gave it your best shot, but hey you were out there and gave it what you had.

Congratulations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report, and congrats on the finishing time.
Dumb question - you mention getting a bottle at 11 aid stations during the bike... So you drank 11 bike water bottles?? Seems like a lot, and makes me wonder if I've been drinking way too little during my own races...
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to represent the team! I was cheering you on all day and your run in those conditions was outstanding I would say.

Come to Whistler!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report, very funny in parts. Congrats on a solid race. Am amazed by the amount of liquid/calories you can handle on the bike. I usually try to err on fewer calories, but everyone is different. The run was nasty for sure, I wanted to quit the entire time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always love your RRs Jim, great job! Your have a great ability to keep a positive attitude through tough conditions and I know how hard that can be...you have to really love what you're doing in order to pull it off. Best of luck with the rest of the season!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice reports, and congrats on pulling through.

Your run description pretty much mathes how I felt 100%. I have done a couple of low 3:20 marathons, Saturday was 3:49. As Dev says, its the nice thing about Ironman. You never know what is outthere for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on gutting it out on a tough day. It is particularly impressive with a new family. That always makes getting the training done a more challenging proposition.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think you did just fine and are being hard on yourself and will be back at Kona soon.

Thanks Dev, I value your opinion and experience. I was content with the performance, I gave everything to it. Kona is a topic that I will start to think about next week. I promised the Ironwife no discussion of plans moving forward for at least a week!

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [AdamHill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdamHill wrote:
It was definitely the kind of day for a blow up on the run.

Tough conditions for sure. I knew that I was rolling the dice some on the bike, but even now I think it was my best shot at the KQ.

Had I hone 5 minutes slower on bike, I would have needed to run 20 minutes faster on the run, don't think that would have happened.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
You needed to ride 200 watts and then run well. It didn't work out, you gave it your best shot, but hey you were out there and gave it what you had.

Congratulations.

You get it Kevin. I came off the bike and had a chance, had I held back more (say NP 170 or so), I think my KQ shot would have been gone before I got off the bike. I went for it, but I couldn't get it done.

I think for the first time, I actually raced an IM from start to finish instead of just trying to set myself up to have great run legs.

Always learning!

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
So you drank 11 bike water bottles?? Seems like a lot

I tried to. That worked out to about 1 bottle per half hour. For hot races, this is how I roll. For more moderate races, I try 1 bottle per hour.

All of these are sport drink bottles, so in races with fewer bottles, I supplement the calories.

The 2 per hour is probably a little more than I need. I end up uriating on the bike a good bit. My stomach handles it, so the only down side is a little slowing to empty out the bladder.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report! Very fun to read! Thanks for the effort you put into it and nice job on the race!
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [lorenc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lorenc wrote:
Nice report, very funny in parts. Congrats on a solid race. Am amazed by the amount of liquid/calories I usually try to err on fewer calories, but everyone is different.

On bike, I load up pretty well, over 400 cals per hour for a pretty small guy. On the run, I try to stay around 200, but that's hard to track.

I think I might have under done the run cals at IMTX. Brain was pretty fried, so keeping track of it was tough. Aid stations were busy, brain was fried. I definitely took on coke when I could, Gatorade sometimes, and several gels, but beyond that, who the hell knows what was going on after mile 10!

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [The1Jacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The1Jacker wrote:
I always love your RRs Jim, great job!

Thanks, I enjoy writing them, it is pretty cathartic. I also like to refer back to them in later months and years to remind myself of the feelings/emotions when they were fresh.

Moreover, I learned so much reading the reports of others, that I try to return the favor that others have done for me.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:
Your run description pretty much mathes how I felt 100%.

Glad to know I wasn't alone! Misery loves company.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I think you did just fine and are being hard on yourself and will be back at Kona soon.

Thanks Dev, I value your opinion and experience. I was content with the performance, I gave everything to it. Kona is a topic that I will start to think about next week. I promised the Ironwife no discussion of plans moving forward for at least a week!

I was thinking about your 11 bottles of Gatorade. At your weight, I would be surprised if you have a sweat rate of 1.5L per hour (even in Texas). My gut feel is no matter how much sodium you took, you MAY have diluted your blood sodium before the run with that volume of fluid intake and MAY have been mildly hyponatremic and perhaps even hypervolemic for some time, until you sweated out/pee'd the excess volume on the run. I could be wrong but want to hear your feedback. Did you feel like you had no push of "force" and were "flat" on the run? Keep in mind that 1.5L per hour is like losing 3 lbs of sweat per hour which is hard to do on the bike at our general size range.

I think you have to do a few tests:

1. Ride at 80 percent FTP in 20C low humidity one hour
  2. Ride at 80 percent FTP in 30 C high humidity one hour
  3. Run at IM effort one hour same conditions as above

Weight before and after on each one. There is a long story behind all this but Tim Noakes had me do this after a really bad hyponatremia day a long time ago. I found out that I had an insanely low sweat rate and was over drinking for my needs. Generally the sweat rate tends to be body fat and weight dependent as well as power dependent (small guys with low power sweat less than small guys with large power....200W generates 800W of heat.....150W generates 600W of heat).
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
It is particularly impressive with a new family

Amen brother, a little more difficult for me, much more difficult for my wife who for some reason "married down," for which I am so lucky and so grateful!

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question Dev.

I have done sweat testing in the past, in the worst conditions, I was dropping 40ozs of fluid per hour (obviously some of this is carb bound water). I have read Noakes' work, including that gigantic book that is the size of an encyclopedia. I do believe that I drank more than needed, but I don't think that hyponutremia was at play. Oddly enough, I was still thirsty at around mile 100 on the bike (long section between stations).

I could probably get by with a bottle every 45 mins instead of 30 minutes, but if I am going to err, it will be on the side of hydration. I also figured that the hyponutremia risk was mitigated since it wasn't water that I was guzzling but electrolyte fluid chased by salt.

I did have to pee twice on the run and several times on the bike, but not only was I taking in the Gatorade sodium/electrolytes, I also took in 11 salt sticks on the bike as well and then 1 stick every mile or 2 on the run.

Another couple consideration: my best running was early, legs were really good until around mile 10. Also, this is what I did in Kona and did fine (though that data point is partially suspect since I was resting on the road side for a while with the mechanical). In Kona though, I didnt pee on the run at all but did pee in T2.

I am always learning, so as always, all feedback is appreciated.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
AdamHill wrote:
It was definitely the kind of day for a blow up on the run.

Tough conditions for sure. I knew that I was rolling the dice some on the bike, but even now I think it was my best shot at the KQ.

Had I hone 5 minutes slower on bike, I would have needed to run 20 minutes faster on the run, don't think that would have happened.

With that kind of race, you'll get back to Kona for sure. Any more IMs this year? My experience was very similar. I had a goal of going 9:40 based on my training times (swim sub-1:10, bike around 4:50, run 3:30 +transitions). My swim was terrible and thus my chances were already gone. Like you, I rolled the dice on the bike and met my bike goal, but there was no way I could have pulled a 3:30. My goals and reality were not even in the same galaxy that day. If I had backed off on the bike, I could have run faster, but definitely wouldn't have been enough. One of these days I hope my pool swim speed will translate into open water so that I could go into the bike with a shot.

"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent" - Steve Martin
http://www.trifundracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [AdamHill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and I might be the same racer.

Plan to go 9:40, then all hell breaks loose!

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Jim Martin wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I was thinking about your 11 bottles of Gatorade. At your weight, I would be surprised if you have a sweat rate of 1.5L per hour (even in Texas). My gut feel is no matter how much sodium you took, you MAY have diluted your blood sodium before the run with that volume of fluid intake and MAY have been mildly hyponatremic and perhaps even hypervolemic for some time, until you sweated out/pee'd the excess volume on the run. I could be wrong but want to hear your feedback. Did you feel like you had no push of "force" and were "flat" on the run? Keep in mind that 1.5L per hour is like losing 3 lbs of sweat per hour which is hard to do on the bike at our general size range.

Weight before and after on each one. There is a long story behind all this but Tim Noakes had me do this after a really bad hyponatremia day a long time ago. I found out that I had an insanely low sweat rate and was over drinking for my needs. Generally the sweat rate tends to be body fat and weight dependent as well as power dependent (small guys with low power sweat less than small guys with large power....200W generates 800W of heat.....150W generates 600W of heat).

Dev,

Everyone is different, I am not as fast as the OP but I am at about 1.5-2bottles per hour all sources on the bike. Race day I am about 5'8 and 144. My sweat rate on the bike is very close (over or under depending on heat) 1.5L per hour. For me I need the hydration to metabolize 450 or so Cal per hour, and 800mg sodium all sources.

On the run it is closer to 2.5-3L per hour (when hot). In order to run well (for me) I have to be within 2-3 pounds post bike, as I will lose another 4-5 no matter how much I drink on the run.

In simple terms I look at it as a regular work day, aim to pee every 2.5 hours. IE once on the swim once around halfway through the bike and once at the end. Maybe once on the run.

Like I say everyone is different and within that every race situation is different. If it's cool I might be closer to 7-8 bottles. Nothing wrong with doing your own testing.

To the OP, nice RR as Dev said maybe a bit hard on yourself given the conditions. As others have said Whistler is a great option if you are looking for another KQ. IIRC last year it went about 9:50 or so for you. in 40-44 it went to 10:17.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMTX Race Report, M35-39, VERY LONG [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Jim Martin wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev,

Everyone is different, I am not as fast as the OP but I am at about 1.5-2bottles per hour all sources on the bike. Race day I am about 5'8 and 144. My sweat rate on the bike is very close (over or under depending on heat) 1.5L per hour. For me I need the hydration to metabolize 450 or so Cal per hour, and 800mg sodium all sources.

On the run it is closer to 2.5-3L per hour (when hot). In order to run well (for me) I have to be within 2-3 pounds post bike, as I will lose another 4-5 no matter how much I drink on the run.

In simple terms I look at it as a regular work day, aim to pee every 2.5 hours. IE once on the swim once around halfway through the bike and once at the end. Maybe once on the run.

Like I say everyone is different and within that every race situation is different. If it's cool I might be closer to 7-8 bottles. Nothing wrong with doing your own testing.

To the OP, nice RR as Dev said maybe a bit hard on yourself given the conditions. As others have said Whistler is a great option if you are looking for another KQ. IIRC last year it went about 9:50 or so for you. in 40-44 it went to 10:17.

Maurice

Maurice thanks and it seems that Jim is in the range and by all accounts his blood sodium likely was solidly in a safe range based on his clarification post which was not totally clear in the first post. If nothing else we got this discussion going for others who may have overlooked hydration/sodium/calorie balance. I agree, let's get Jim over to Whistler!
Quote Reply

Prev Next