Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 IMLP Race Report, M 50-54
Quote | Reply
My first attempt at this, so here goes. Stayed at Hampton Inn. Arrived Thursday early afternoon. Pluses of Hampton: 1 min walk to and great view of swim start. 5 min walk to Olympic oval/transition. Parked car, didn't need it for next 4 days. Great staff, a few free meals, nice place for a family. Downside: cost.

After arrival, within 2 hours I had finished packet pick up (no more than 15 min), checked out transition, toured vendors, picked up bike from Tribike Transport, back to room.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, did 1-2 brief swim/run/bike per day to keep it fresh. Stopped to enjoy views and take pics as I knew race day would be all business. Enjoyed time with family.

Saturday by noon, I had my last spin and checked in bike and bags. Spent the afternoon at hotel with family, enjoyed the view, gentle swim/float in lake, met other athletes, volunteers, and in general, enjoyed the building anticipation of race day.

The smoke and flames from the downtown fire Saturday about 6 pm were disturbing to say the least. A tragedy, and in talking to one of the business owners, thankfully no one hurt. I feel for the affected folks who lost their apartment, business, and to those displaced by the fire, so sorry. Something like that is not on your pre-race checklist.

Ok, this a RACE REPORT:

Race day, Sunday am, up at 0230 (couldn't sleep any longer). Pre-race meal: 700 cal, coffee, to transition, check bike, body mark done in 30 min, back to hotel to hang until 0600, brief swim, national anthem 0620, cannon start 0630 sharp. I started at beginning of 1:10-1:20 rolling start group. Stayed to outside on first lap, very little contact. Heard Mike Reilly mention my name as I crossed time mat going into second lap, that pumps up the juices a bit. Second lap found myself right over the cable and figured I'll see how it goes. I swear there was some whirlpool 2300+ athlete current in the water by that time. There were periods of clear water, but definitely more contact over the cable. I tried to stay to the inside.

Swim time: 1:12, shooting for 1:15. First lap about 30 seconds faster than second. AG rank: 55.

Wet suit stripped, jog to T1, grab bag, change, took a gel, out of T1 9:02, managed to forget gloves, oh well.

Weather is overcast, mid 60s. Roads damp but not soaked. My mantra from all the reading I had done was take it EASY on the first loop. Lots of people passed me on the first loop. I enjoyed the scenery, didn't hammer the hills exiting town and was cautious on descent to Keene (not over 40 MPH). Fortunately, skies began to clear just before descent and roads were dry for rest of race. Flats, then ascent back to Placid. As I was going up, I realized what was in store for us on lap 2.

First lap: 3:15. Didn't do special needs, pee at port a john mile 57 so I new my fluid intake was good. Nutrition I was a bit ahead on and I ended up taking just over 300 cal/hr, target was just over 250, I was listening to my body and I felt like it needed a bit more. More on that to come...

Second loop I just stuck to my plan, I didn't get passed much (many of the faster folks were beyond me), and I actually started passing a few folks. Last 15 miles uphill was a grind. I began to feel just a bit bloated, neck and shoulders were pretty sore, legs ok, crotch wanted off the bike. Crowd at top of last hill, "papa bear" brought tears to my eyes. That was hard work.

Bike time: 6:42 (3:27 2nd loop). Goal: 6:30. I was quite content with that time, feeling that if I had pushed harder, I'd be in trouble. Dropped to 98 in AG.

T2: quick change of top and socks, run hat (sun is now out and I can feel the heat, 75 degrees?). Had volunteer apply Bullfrog and discovered a few places on neck where glide had worn off on swim (burned like fire for a minute). Time T2: 4:44. Saw my son at T2 exit and had seen wife only after first loop of bike, so was looking forward to seeing them more on run.

First mile, I still felt a bit bloated. Decided to run really slow for first mile, 11+ pace. After 2 miles, stomach settled. I didn't feel that gels only were going to work, so I called an audible and went with some bananas and more gatoraide than planned. I think this was the right call, as was able to take nutrition and fluids at EVERY aid station. I passed enough gas to fill the Hindenburg on the run. I also took ice at every station to put in hat, down jersey to stay cool. Endurolytes too.

I was able to keep up 10+ min pace, ran up hills back into town, seeing wife pumped me up mile 11-13. Hit 13.1 at about 2:15. Shooting for 4:30, so it was the moment of truth heading back out for second loop.

Felt ok for next 8 miles, even had a few sub 10 min miles and began to think of my ultimate goal of breaking 12:30. The only time I allowed myself to run the numbers was at mile 20. Realized I would have to run 9 min pace. I was on the flats on River road, so I thought, what the heck, let's see what I have left. Ran mile 21 at a pace that I thought I could hold for 6 miles, turned out to be 9:28. With hills coming up and the jump in heart rate, I realized it wasn't going to happen, and brought it back down. I didn't want to become a casualty at that point.

Fought back up the hills, crowds back into town were great. I managed a few smiles through the agonal breathing. Big smile began down the hill leading into Olympic oval. Realized there was no one behind me, slowed down to enjoy the moment, take some high fives, and hear Mike Reilly call my name.

Run time: 4:33, so a 2:18 second 13.1. Was really happy with my run and overall race execution.

Overall time: 12:41, 52 AG, I think about 600 overall. My second 140.6 overall, first was Beach to Battleship 2013, also a great race.

I'll be back to IMLP again, probably 2017. Great venue, great crowds, and what a finish. If you made it reading this far, you just completed the Ironman of race report reading, congrats!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMLP Race Report, M 50-54 [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report, congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race report. I just got home last night and plan to work on my report today or tomorrow. LP was my first full and I thought it was awesome.

Was curious if you thought most people slotted themselves correctly in the rolling start? I started very close to you and did a 37 minute first lap and felt like I passed a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was great, thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid day, definitely a hot day, conditions were definitely not in our favor. I was def having issues with the heat, congrats on gutting out the run.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMLP Race Report, M 50-54 [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biglazybum: in my start region, I felt like the self-seeding worked well.

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 IMLP Race Report, M 50-54 [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks johnald, it was a satisfying sufferfest.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job and great report......good audible and dialing back at mile 21 when you saw the writing on the wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid, smart way to get through the day. Congrats!

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report.
Quote Reply