Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 Felt B2 for new triathlete
Quote | Reply
Looking for advice related to my first triathlon bike choice. A little background, I just started at age 43, did my first Sprint in May and have an Olympic in August. Plan to do a 70.3 next year and not sure after that. I don't expect to ever be highly competitive, but who knows. I think I finished in the top 30% of men in my first Sprint, but it was local and relatively small I guess (around 500 people total). I think I was around 7 of 20 in my age group, but a big gap between my time and the top 3 times. I road on a 2012 Fuji Gran Fondo 3.0 that I bought off Craigslist and I think it might be a size too large for me (M/L). My main objective is to get/stay in shape and to improve as much as possible within my abilities and training time limits. I'd like to get a new tri bike, fitted properly, that will last a while and I'm really interested in the idea of electronic shifting, both for smooth shifting and multiple shifting locations. Unfortunately, I don't want to spend a fortune, relatively speaking. It looks like the 2015 Felt B2 will be the first reasonably priced electronic shifting model ($3699). Assuming this fits me, any reason not to buy this model given my background/objectives?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B2 for new triathlete [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can afford it then go ahead. It will be marginally faster than some bikes, probably not enough to move you to front of the pack but it's nice to have nice things.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt makes a solid bike. You'll bike up some time going from a road frame to an aero tri bike (could be a min, could be five over 40k depending on how much your position changes and a hand full of other variables). Keep in mind aero wheels will help as much as an aero frame. BTW, the Torhans aero bottle is aero neutral to a slight gain on that frame IIRC (B2 is old DA, right?) and is a nice place to keep a flat kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The B2 is a really nice frame, no reason not to get one.
However - it is also a high stack frame (very close to Specialized Shiv) so the 'assuming it fits' element could be a limiter. The stock bars are quite high stack so changing bars could open up the possibilities for you.
Quote Reply