Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2
Quote | Reply
Alright everyone, been saving up and am about ready to invest in my first triathlon bike; the 2 main bikes I am looking at are the 2015 Felt B14 and the 2014 Cervelo P2. Everywhere I look at says the P2 frame is by far the best for my price range (sub $3000), but the Felt has better components. Also, if I get the felt I would be able to buy a set of Flo wheels for about the difference in price between the 2 bikes. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [Rainstaterunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are both fantastic bikes at great, competitive prices (relative to their performance level).

You cannot go wrong with either.

Factoring in the wheels plays a big role, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha..I am making that exact same decision right now..even considering the flo 60/90s if I go with the felt.

Here are the things I am kicking back and forth in my mind:

Felt:
-The red & black paint is ugly as sin.
-The hidden rear brake might be a pain
+Price
+Ultegra rear

Cervelo:
-Even uglier paint. Good god.
-Price
-105 rear
+Bolts on top for bento box

I don't know..might hend up with the felt & flos....

Interested to see what you go with.
Last edited by: gyeah992: Nov 30, 14 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [gyeah992] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bolts for bento box would make me go with the P2. Seriously. I hate the velcro straps I have to use for my XLAB Stealth on my 2011 P2. I wish I had the bolts

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No sure what you were getting the P2 for but check the classifieds. Val posted that they have left overstock and was looking for offers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rainstaterunner wrote:
Alright everyone, been saving up and am about ready to invest in my first triathlon bike; the 2 main bikes I am looking at are the 2015 Felt B14 and the 2014 Cervelo P2. Everywhere I look at says the P2 frame is by far the best for my price range (sub $3000), but the Felt has better components. Also, if I get the felt I would be able to buy a set of Flo wheels for about the difference in price between the 2 bikes. Thoughts?

The biggest component of drag on any bike is the rider. This means your fit is likely one of the most important things you can do when getting your new bike. Not only does it make you more aerodynamic, it allows you to stay comfortable while riding, can help your ability to run well off of the bike, and prevent injury. After fit, wheels, helmets, and clothing can really help increase your aerodynamics.

If you want my two cents - and yes I know I own FLO - I'd buy the bike that allowed me to have enough money for the extras. First off, get a fit, then add the other components that help improve your aerodynamics. Wheels are probably the next best investment for aerodynamics, but they don't have to be FLO wheels. As an example, wheel covers are affordable and aero.

You mentioned the Felt had better components. From what I could gather, the only difference was an Ultegra rear derailleur vs a 105 rear derailleur. I really think those are virtually the same thing and would imagine you'd have a hard time telling the difference between the two. AND an Ultegra rear derailleur will not make you faster than a 105 rear derailleur. I've had everything from SRAM Rival to Red and personally I feel the difference is very small. If getting an Ultegra rear derailleur prevents you from getting a proper fit and spending your money on wiser products, I think you may be focusing on the wrong things. If you don't agree... I hope you are in my age group ;).

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having worked at a bike shop that works with Felt and Cervelo. The frames have very similar aerodynamics. Lots of people are going to point you towards the cervlo because cervelo has a big name in the triathlon world and is recognized as one of the fastest tri bike manufactures. With that said Cervelo tends to price there bikes much higher then there actual worth. Another thing to consider is that we have found that Felts are much easier to fit a wide span of riders compared to a Cervelo. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trashed the B14 paint scheme in my earlier post, but in person the thing looks fantastic. I picked one up and am loving it. What bike did you finally go with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gyeah992 wrote:
I trashed the B14 paint scheme in my earlier post, but in person the thing looks fantastic. I picked one up and am loving it. What bike did you finally go with?

I have the same frame diff color (2013 B12) and want to add TT bosses? I've had issues with the rear brake that I hope the LSB took care of on the last round. I'd like to add a TriRig Omega SV back there someday.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [triguy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Looking at the Cervelo vs Felt, I would have to agree, one sure seems to get a lot more for their money with the Felt.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When in doubt ... always get Felt!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jan 30, 15 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gyeah992 wrote:
Ha..I am making that exact same decision right now..even considering the flo 60/90s if I go with the felt.

Here are the things I am kicking back and forth in my mind:

Felt:
-The red & black paint is ugly as sin.
-The hidden rear brake might be a pain
+Price
+Ultegra rear

Cervelo:
-Even uglier paint. Good god.
-Price
-105 rear
+Bolts on top for bento box

I don't know..might hend up with the felt & flos....

Interested to see what you go with.

Rear derailleur isn't exactly much of deal between ultegra and 105. I wouldn't consider that a con or pro either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to the shop and tried out the Cervelo, a couple of Scott Plasma's, and then the Felt-all we're good, but the Felt felt the best (pun intended). It also helped that it was considerably cheaper than the rest. So far I've added a Specialized Sitero seat and a Profile HC BTA bottle; Flo Wheels to come. Loving it so far!!!

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It stinks how they've downgraded over the years. In 2011 I got the B14 new for slightly less than you're looking to spend. It came stock with DuraAce front and rear. Oh and it's beautiful.

Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
It stinks how they've downgraded over the years. In 2011 I got the B14 new for slightly less than you're looking to spend. It came stock with DuraAce front and rear. Oh and it's beautiful.

But you'd likely be faster on the new frame. The wind doesn't know what kind of derailleurs you have. That 2011 was a banner year for spec/value/price for sure, we've improved the product since (more aero, two bottle bosses, lighter, 11 speed drivetrain, more adjustable cockpit, more saddle position options, more comfort, more tire clearance) but arguably not the value.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmacandcheese wrote:
gyeah992 wrote:

I have the same frame diff color (2013 B12) and want to add TT bosses? I've had issues with the rear brake that I hope the LSB took care of on the last round. I'd like to add a TriRig Omega SV back there someday.

I'd encourage you to use studs affixed to the frame before you tried to drill holes into the carbon.
Trek used to do this with their carbon frames and bottle bosses:
http://www.vintage-trek.com/...-Lemond/1991trek.pdf
Something like this bonded to the top tube with a nut inside the box would be a much safer DIY project.

Of course I have to discourage any modification of frame officially.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:

20,000 miles later I am still beating the crap out of my 2011 B14. Love that bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The bolts for bento box would make me go with the P2. Seriously. I hate the velcro straps I have to use for my XLAB Stealth on my 2011 P2. I wish I had the bolts

I hate the velcro also. You would think there would be a better alternative. Holes for zipp ties in the bento? Something you could glue to the top tube to attach the bento.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion your bikes are always the absolute best bang for the buck. I noticed after I bought my bike that the B14 went away for while. I suspected I got the last batch of "too good to be true" value.

If you're up for it, I'd be willing to swap my 2011 for a 2015 for a month or so to test your theory about speed. I know you guys do wind tunnels and all, but think about the marketing you would have on your hands if all I did was swap bikes and instantly gained 5 mph. There's a Felt dealer about 5 minutes from my house we could work through.

?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the only way you'd gain 5 mph is if you are averaging 290+ mph now.

If so, I'll arrange the swap

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the felt. It is a smoking fast bike! I just got mine and am in love with the paint on it! It looks even better in person!! And with the felt you get race wheels which will be a better investment in the long run. Either way you get a great bike but my choice is for the felt.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
dmacandcheese wrote:
gyeah992 wrote:

I'd encourage you to use studs affixed to the frame before you tried to drill holes into the carbon.
Trek used to do this with their carbon frames and bottle bosses:
http://www.vintage-trek.com/...-Lemond/1991trek.pdf
Something like this bonded to the top tube with a nut inside the box would be a much safer DIY project.

Of course I have to discourage any modification of frame officially.

Dave
SD, I thought about that, but would prefer the bosses. IMHO Felt should to add this "feature" to the B series . I've always had a bento box since my old 2006 S22. But with cables entering the TT my only option was fugly velcro strapping around the TT.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About color and looks of a bike on pictures:

This is always something you have to see in real life. When i bought the transition from specialized the thing looked in pictures ugly as hell, but in real life its a beauty.
Last edited by: gatygun: Feb 17, 15 4:00
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Felt B14 vs 2014 Cervelo P2 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Rainstaterunner wrote:

The biggest component of drag on any bike is the rider. This means your fit is likely one of the most important things you can do when getting your new bike. Not only does it make you more aerodynamic, it allows you to stay comfortable while riding, can help your ability to run well off of the bike, and prevent injury. After fit, wheels, helmets, and clothing can really help increase your aerodynamics.

If you want my two cents - and yes I know I own FLO - I'd buy the bike that allowed me to have enough money for the extras. First off, get a fit, then add the other components that help improve your aerodynamics. Wheels are probably the next best investment for aerodynamics, but they don't have to be FLO wheels. As an example, wheel covers are affordable and aero.

You mentioned the Felt had better components. From what I could gather, the only difference was an Ultegra rear derailleur vs a 105 rear derailleur. I really think those are virtually the same thing and would imagine you'd have a hard time telling the difference between the two. AND an Ultegra rear derailleur will not make you faster than a 105 rear derailleur. I've had everything from SRAM Rival to Red and personally I feel the difference is very small. If getting an Ultegra rear derailleur prevents you from getting a proper fit and spending your money on wiser products, I think you may be focusing on the wrong things. If you don't agree... I hope you are in my age group ;).

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

This.

I would also like to add towards this that you first would do a bike fit ( topic starter ) to see if both of those bikes actually fit you. Yes it costs money, but a non fitting bike that has to be replaced with a new bike in a year from now + tons of costs because of injury's and rebuilding your bike will make you think twice.

Because that's what happened with me.

I found the bike fit to expensive, and ended up buying one that should fit my size ( as i'm tall, i picked the xxl from specialized transition, as i liked how it looked and the color scheme of it). After a few months of injury's i decided to do a bike fit and directly got to hear that my injury's where created through a bike that doesn't fit me.

As i had no plans to sell the bike and take a loss + buy a new more expensive bike even on top if it, i changed the bike through the official bike kit in order to make it fit as much as i could, but it was all just a waste of time. I kept getting injury's only on a smaller form which made training a nightmare let alone thinking about a race.

A month ago i decided that i either had to spend money on a new bike or just quit all together. And i did decided on a new bike. I paid the bike fitter to make him check what bikes would fit my body type and i was shocked that out of all those bikes on the market only 4 fitted. Freaking 4. But that wasn't all of it, 2 bikes needed to be rebuilded through kits and 1 bike wasn't a great solution to go for as it was just on the edge of fitting.

So i basically i could choose between 3 bikes where 2 of them costed more then 3,5k with everything i wanted on it. And the one left costed me 2k in total which was the felt 2015 b14.

How a bike looks and all other things should be second after that in my personal experience.

I'm not a fan of the color scheme while my friends do like it, but at the end it's all about fitting + comfort + results that count in my vision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recall going over the same process as you back in 2010 looking at Felt B12 and Cervelo P2 as they both fit me well. After riding the two bikes it was a no brainer and I went with the Felt. They were starkly different rides as the cervelo was "stiff" maybe even a little harsh and the Felt was smooth. I know this is highly dependant on the wheels, etc, but either way it helped make the decision clear.

Bottom line is go ride both and I would be shocked if one did not stand out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next