Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2015 40K TT Challenge
Quote | Reply
Way late this year, kicking it off.

53:17. 327W, 329NP. Legit 40K, Fiesta Island. Not the fastest course, some wind.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems no one is doing these anymore ;)

I did one in Cordova IL this past weekend. pretty flat, slightly increasing headwind on return, right around 24.8miles depending whom you ask.

51:26 300w, power in question currently( I am not buying it)
Last edited by: jeffp: Jul 21, 15 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
55:56, 253W. Church Creek TT#2 in MD 7/18/2015. Pancake flat, but a bit windy.
Pretty disappointing power, but still managed a PR. Maybe <55 will happen next year...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meant to say hello but you were gone by the time i got back to the parking lot. Congrats on your PR

i, otoh, went full Sisyphean and put out 15W less than last year. Actually, scratch that, i believe Sisyphus at least pushed the boulder to the same height each time...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I scram pretty fast after getting some flak in the past from the family for waiting around for results. I figure I know how I did from my garmin already and will find out how I placed later.

Frustrating to be able to put out 30-40W more NP in punchy hour long race efforts than I can for these steady TT efforts. On the plus side I'm fairly slippery, so if I can ever figure out how to tap into the extra power I think I'm supposed to have...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done 2 on the computrainer this year, do those count? Wildflower 1:29:06 and Boulder Peak 1:13:03 :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang trail, you're a beast! And here I thought you were mainly just a denizen of the LR, kvetching about this and that...

Spot

Last edited by: spot: Jul 21, 15 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Colorado state TT. Flat wth 2 180s and 2 tight 90 degrees turns. Another coat of chip-seal this year, but lighter winds.

50:38 and I got stuck behind a pickup truck at the first 180. I figure it maybe cost me 10 seconds. Average power of 276 at the hub, so I figure 280-282 at the crank. No idea what my CdA is, but that has got to put me well under 0.02.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
Yeah, I scram pretty fast after getting some flak in the past from the family for waiting around for results. I figure I know how I did from my garmin already and will find out how I placed later.

Frustrating to be able to put out 30-40W more NP in punchy hour long race efforts than I can for these steady TT efforts. On the plus side I'm fairly slippery, so if I can ever figure out how to tap into the extra power I think I'm supposed to have...

my best ~1hr AP from a race is 10 watts higher than what i did at Church Creek this year, and i basically spent the entire race riding in the drops. NP would be 40 watts higher...

i think this means i should relegate myself to doing the abomination known as EMX TTs. I bet my time can't be too much worse than what i do on the TT bike... Certainly would have been faster last year on my road bike for the technical parts of Shenandoah TT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went 53:55 at states this year, ~290W. Much lower power than I was planning, but it was 115+ degrees with no wind and full sun. Rough.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TN State TT - a windy and hilly course with 950 feet of elevation gain. My first 40K TT and managed a time of 59:21. Hit my goal of under an hour. 272 NP.
Last edited by: ttusomeone: Jul 21, 15 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who are all of you people? I thought under 1hr was pretty awesome. 53min??

i'm still around 1:06 :( and getting slower since i now have children to look after.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did 57:20 over the weekend in an Olympic. That was at 295 AP, 305 NP. The day before was a sprint at 315 AP, 320 NP. I'd love to find a 40K TT somewhere here in MA or the surrounding states, but they just seem very rare these days.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
47:08 for 25 miles this year (Garmin had the course at 40.237km).
NP 319W at 66.1kg on the morning of the TT (weight was a bit unusually high that morning, average of the previous 7 days was 65.2kg)

Undoubtedly assisted by the presence of traffic on the course, but only 8 people had ever recorded a faster time in a UK TT as of the end of that event.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elite nats in Tahoe saw some wicked fast times (with zero effect of traffic); 11 dudes went under 50 http://usacycling.com/...x.php?permit=2015-12.

If they'd have certified the course the elite winner would have set a new national record.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:

i'm still around 1:06 :( and getting slower since i now have children to look after.

Don't feel bad. Everyone on here who's posted so far is 1-percentile-grade fast. And most are pure TTers. Also everyone is weapons-grade aero. Note that the power numbers aren't crazy high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
blueQuintana wrote:

Don't feel bad. Everyone on here who's posted so far is 1-percentile-grade fast. And most are pure TTers. Also everyone is weapons-grade aero. Note that the power numbers aren't crazy high.

Many of the faster times are also at altitude. While you lose about 7-10% in power output, the reduced drag usually more than makes up the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Elite nats in Tahoe saw some wicked fast times (with zero effect of traffic); 11 dudes went under 50 http://usacycling.com/...x.php?permit=2015-12.
Interesting to see the name Lee Piercy in there with 51:50. If it's the same guy, he has also competed in the UK, doing 51:42 in 2010 on the course where 6 of the fastest 9 of all-time did their rides.
http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/event/5565
That day in 2010 was also a very fast day, I rode in that event and I'd say it was the best conditions I've ever had on that course, even though I've got faster since then. I asked someone who rode for the same UK team as him and he thought it may well be the same guy, as he travels internationally quite a lot. So it may be that the different pros and cons of UK and US courses largely cancel out to produce similar times overall. Based on a UK TT he rode in 2014, he didn't seem to have particularly got faster since 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Church Creek 40k this year, 53.24, 334 watts. It was a nasty head wind on the way out, made a right into a cross head wind, then the next right was in the trees so you didn't benifit from the tailwind :(. The last 3 miles were open and back in the head wind. I think the wind shifted during my ride.
I'd love to do a tt at altitude.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i feel these watt numbers are weird.... one guy at nyc triathlon averaged 380 watts but only got 1:01 bike time. are you folks sub 1 hour doing well under 300w weighing 100lb or something?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
i feel these watt numbers are weird.... one guy at nyc triathlon averaged 380 watts but only got 1:01 bike time. are you folks sub 1 hour doing well under 300w weighing 100lb or something?

position and size probably have a bit to do with it....
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I'm 6'2'' and 165 lbs. I ride a really aggressive position though. The position does hurt my power output, I make about 20 more watts on my road bike
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Interesting to see the name Lee Piercy in there with 51:50. If it's the same guy, he has also competed in the UK, doing 51:42 in 2010 on the course where 6 of the fastest 9 of all-time did their rides.
http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/event/5565
That day in 2010 was also a very fast day, I rode in that event and I'd say it was the best conditions I've ever had on that course, even though I've got faster since then. I asked someone who rode for the same UK team as him and he thought it may well be the same guy, as he travels internationally quite a lot. So it may be that the different pros and cons of UK and US courses largely cancel out to produce similar times overall. Based on a UK TT he rode in 2014, he didn't seem to have particularly got faster since 2010.

Consistent with my conclusion that TTing in the UK ~= TTing at altitude.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
TN State TT - a windy and hilly course with 950 feet of elevation gain. My first 40K TT and managed a time of 59:21. Hit my goal of under an hour. 272 NP.

Did the same race. Also my first 40k. Went 58:15 on 288 ap and 297 np. Ehh, so much discomfort.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 40K TT Challenge [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah and it was also pretty hot that day. I plan to be back next year to better my time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next