Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2014 speed concept and a sprint tri...bta only is fastest option right?
Quote | Reply
I took off my seat tube bottle and put the plugs back in. I am debating on taking off my down tube bottle also and only running the bta.

Also, is the draft box smart o keep on for the race? I do have a spare there, but usually tri to go top 5 in my agegroup and forget whether it is a plus or neutral or negative aero benefit.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 speed concept and a sprint tri...bta only is fastest option right? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
draft box is a PITA to take off... at least mine is. It's pretty neutral, so I'd leave it. I believe in always finishing a race... even a sprint. I think it's a slippery slope sometimes to DNF races... mentally.

Yes, BTA is the more aero, sometimes more aero than no bottle between your arms. I fill it 1/3 with sports drink. There is data to show the taste of sugar can allow you to ride harder longer.... but for a 1 hour race, you don't really need anything.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 speed concept and a sprint tri...bta only is fastest option right? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you mean bottle cage and not bottle? (One of my pet peeves is people loading their bike down with two or three full bottles for a sprint tri, just don't get that!) Sure, no harm in taking extra bottle cages off for a sprint if you want to pay attention to every detail. The cage probably won't make much difference although some carbon and plastic cages sure look like they'd have a lot of drag. Yes, use a BTA bottle only for a sprint, although you don't really even need to drink for an event that short unless it's super hot. But I like to have a BTA bottle half full just in case I want to take a swig or two for dry mouth.

As for the draft box, according to Carl at Trek it's drag neutral, although I've read reports here of field testing showing it as reducing drag. So I'd leave it on, if you get a flat even though in a sprint it means you're out of contention it sure beats walking or waiting around for someone to pick you up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definately lose any bottles on the seat tube or downtube, bta is the fastest option I can think of. IMO, draft box is draft neutral at worst and there's a decent chance it makes you more slippery (sources: my own field testing, IIRC a few people who've tested with ERO/Alphamantis, IIRC Trek had some data indicating you're faster with it on). Also, it's a great place for your race number and I treat flat kits kind of like an umbrella: if I don't bring one, chances are I'll need it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 speed concept and a sprint tri...bta only is fastest option right? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. I figured that was what I had read. I also did mean cages...it was just easier to say bottles.

I did forget that I wanted to use the draft box for my race number. Glad you reminded me of that. I agree that I don't usually drink much in a sprint tri, but will be using the bta for a simple amount of water to splash the dry mouth.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 speed concept and a sprint tri...bta only is fastest option right? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moto, what size sc do you have? I have a medium and the box lines up perfectly with my bike. Taking it off is super easy, just press the little tab in and slide it up.

This is the 2014 version, atleast for me.
Quote Reply